CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Need new tires - have any suggestions?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 04:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK430, 2012 BMW X5 3.5d
Need new tires - have any suggestions?!

My Yoko Avid Envigors after about 22K are shot! Weren't the best handling tire although the tire wear on a CLK430 (2000) wasn't that bad considering the poor wear of Michelin Pilot Sports and the horrible Sumitomo HTR+'s that I had on before.

Sticking with the stock 17" rims - anyone have any suggestions for a good all season tire? Looked at Continental DWS (tire dealer said he had problems with them - although Tire Racks reviews seem stellar). Also looked at Falken Azeris but the speed rating is less than either the DWS or even the Envigors.

Any suggestions would be helpful - looking for something that quiet and has decent grip - the Yoko Avids were pretty dismal. The tires also don't seem to play nice with the stock "soft" suspension.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
The DWS is a good tire as long as you don't do track days.
Old 10-30-2013, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
I bought Achilles ATR on my 19" rims and they are way more grippy than my previous Hankooks. Back end is hard to break loose for some donuts now! They are actually cheap tires. At least $50/ea less than anything else in the sizes I need. Search the web or Ebay. I'm very satisfied with performance and great price.
Old 10-30-2013, 04:58 PM

02 CLK430
Falken Azeris ZR19 and very happy with them!
Old 10-30-2013, 05:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
10 Tahoe LT, 07 Silverado Z71, 99 BMW R1100RT
Over the last several years I've been using Kumhos in pretty much every car and been very happy with them.

Bought two sets of Kumho ASXs for my older daughter's E46 and my wife's W204 about six months ago and so far no issues whatsoever with either car.

My W208 has almost new Pilot Sports and while they sure are nice, there definitely are less expensive options that give you at least the same level of service as the Michelins. In many cases even better.
Old 10-30-2013, 06:15 PM

CL550 & CL55 AMG
Bridgestone Potenza 970 AS Pole position -stickiness-comfort-noise 10 of 10 and quite acceptable 400 wear factor. Tried many these are simply the best.
Mich Pilot sport ok but premium for brand name.
Kumho/Hankook etc are priced to buy market share so may be good purchase but you risk the entire purchase price amount in the event of a mistake.
Old 10-30-2013, 07:43 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2001 CLK55 AMG
Whatever you do, don't go cheap and buy Fuzion UHP's.... Great traction, especially wet weather, they last forever, they have 24K on them now and they still look amazing, I drive mostly highway, I don't really drive my car hard, I don't get it sideways or do burnouts, but I do take the corners pretty lively, and the tires do well in that way. The bad side, they sound like truck tires, or like a wheel bearing is out... Don't do it! Unless you just want tires that last forever with the expense of noise.

Front after 24K:

Rear:
Old 10-30-2013, 09:55 PM

2000 CLK430, 2012 BMW X5 3.5d
I looked at the Falken Azeris's - they are on a nationwide backorder according to my local tire dealer. There are V rated not W rated but the reviews have been excellent - great wear, noise, traction, etc. Had Kumho's' in the past on a GTI and getting a perfect balance out of them was always hard - even on new true wheels. Reviews are mixed. Inspecting my car while doing a tensioner and steering damper I noticed a few things that have to be fixed - first the front shocks are done - I get a sucking noise at the front passenger side and the compression seems WAY too soft - like very little resistance. Front driver's side mount is leaking. Rear shocks seem ok - they are original and have 75K so they probably need to go as well. Once the suspension is taken care of then its time for tires. Bilstein Hd's on order for the front - trying to get the HD's for the rear as well to match otherwise will get the touring model which according to Bilstein is OK/NORMAL but they suggested getting the HD's for rear to match the compression/rebound. They are extremely hard to get in the US and even Bilstein doesn't have them in the US.
Old 11-03-2013, 01:20 AM

W208 CLK55 AMG, W203 C32 AMG, W163 M Class Sport
Lol at all season tires. I have no idea why anyone would run them on a performance car like a w208. They are average at everything and excel at nothing. They also have soft sidewalls and poor dry traction which make your car handle like a boat.

For an excellent max performance summer tire, I recommend Sumitomo HTRZ III. They have great tread wear and traction for the money. There are consistently good reviews on them too. www.tirerack.com Tire Rack has nice prices on them. Do not get the HTRZ or HTRZ II. They are genuinely poor tires.
Old 11-03-2013, 05:08 AM

CL550 & CL55 AMG
The tire you recommend probably does everything that you require of it from a performance standpoint but unless you are on the track often or enjoy a noisy harsh ride (trade-off for performance) this tire is overkill for the highway or back roads. Bridgestone Potenza 970 AS Pole Position best compromise superb handling, speed rated, quiet, smooth and a comfortable ride and a much higher tread wear expectation - and good looking sidewall
In Ontario, get caught over 150KPH (90mph) and the cops confiscate your car and you are susceptible to a fine of up to $10000! In the city you are only as fast as the garbage truck in front of you. Not quibbling with your rec. just looking at another option for those of us who hope not to lose our licenses this year.

Last edited by Benzbias; 11-03-2013 at 05:12 AM.
Old 11-03-2013, 10:48 AM

W208 CLK55 AMG, W203 C32 AMG, W163 M Class Sport
Originally Posted by Benzbias
The tire you recommend probably does everything that you require of it from a performance standpoint but unless you are on the track often or enjoy a noisy harsh ride (trade-off for performance) this tire is overkill for the highway or back roads. Bridgestone Potenza 970 AS Pole Position best compromise superb handling, speed rated, quiet, smooth and a comfortable ride and a much higher tread wear expectation - and good looking sidewall
In Ontario, get caught over 150KPH (90mph) and the cops confiscate your car and you are susceptible to a fine of up to $10000! In the city you are only as fast as the garbage truck in front of you. Not quibbling with your rec. just looking at another option for those of us who hope not to lose our licenses this year.
Sumitomo HTRZIII's fall on their face on the track. They are a street tire. For street use with some track days some variant of a Dunlop Star Spec would be the best most commonly used tire.

HTRZIII's are not a noisy tire until they get to the end of their tread life which any worn tire does. All season tires are composed of noisier compound which does not adhere to the road as well as summer tires. They also squeal when driven close to the limit because of the denser tread compound. Stiffer sidewall tires will help the driver communicate more with the road.

The only benefits of all season tires are longer tread life and the ability to be driven in cold conditions a summer tire would be no good. A Bridgestone Potenza all season may claim "superb handling" in their sales pitch but does not translate to good handling in the real world.

Having good tires does not mean you have to drive fast or lose your license. Performance tires will enable you to take 90 degree sweepers at speed when other cars with "superb handling" all season tires have to brake. You can brake late, hit turns slow in fast out, and accelerate from a dead stop with traction control off without looking like an *** doing a burnout. CLK430's and 55's have traction issues and syrupy handling from the factory according to almost every magazine that reviewed it. All season tires only accentuate this.

All season tires belong on non performance cars not w208's.
Old 11-03-2013, 11:13 AM

CL550 & CL55 AMG
I believe you, you have what works best for you.
That is why there is more than 1 tire offered into the marketplace. Something for everyone in most all conditions.
Just awaiting delivery of my Michelin X-Ice xi3