CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Car can be shifted into gears with car off and with no key. HELP!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2013, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430
Car can be shifted into gears with car off and with no key. HELP!

Hi,

I'm new here. I searched forums but didn't see anything.

My key just out of the blue stopped working. I went to start the car, and nothing. I changed the batteries in the key and had the same result. Roadside assistance couldn't help so I had it towed to MB dealer. they said first thing to do is try ordering a new key. ordered another key and it started the car.

I have another problem though. Now that I got my car back, 'when the car is off with no key' the gears can be shifted without the car on. I thought there was a switch to make the transmission be shiftable without a key, but my model car doesn't have that feature.

Does anyone know what may be wrong? It wasn't doing that before.

thanks.

Old 12-23-2013, 10:17 AM

CLK 430
does anyone know?
Old 12-23-2013, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 192 Likes on 172 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Yes......as a safety/anti-theft feature, it should only be possible to move the shift lever out of the Park position when the ignition switch is in the on/run position and the brake pedal is depressed.

It should only be possible to remove the ignition key when the shift lever is in the Park position and the ignition switch is in the off/lock position.

Yes......there is also a brake transmission shift interlock safety feature that enables the shift selector lever to stay locked in the Park position when the brake pedal is not depressed (ignition on) or when there is no current present in the Shift Lever Assembly.

If the Shift Lever Assembly selector lever cannot be shifted from the Park position due to a mechanical or electrical failure, the selector lever can be released from the Park position using the shift lock override procedure.

To do this, insert a long screwdriver into the notch just below the “-D+” symbol on the Shift Lever Assembly and depress the lock button while moving the selector lever out of the Park position at the same time.

This will allow the shift lever to be manually moved out of the Park position in order to move the vehicle.
Old 12-23-2013, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
Seren,

I was thinking the same thing, it is an added safety along with Recovery/Tow feature in the event of no power or a failed central locking system failure.
These cars are getting older but much thought and programming went into the systems to prevent un authorized access or use. It out classes some of the new cars of todays standards. Telematics is still usable in analog and can interface with todays tech.

Cheers, X-mas Gator
Old 12-26-2013, 09:40 AM

CLK 430
Originally Posted by Serndipity
Yes......as a safety/anti-theft feature, it should only be possible to move the shift lever out of the Park position when the ignition switch is in the on/run position and the brake pedal is depressed.

It should only be possible to remove the ignition key when the shift lever is in the Park position and the ignition switch is in the off/lock position.

Yes......there is also a brake transmission shift interlock safety feature that enables the shift selector lever to stay locked in the Park position when the brake pedal is not depressed (ignition on) or when there is no current present in the Shift Lever Assembly.

If the Shift Lever Assembly selector lever cannot be shifted from the Park position due to a mechanical or electrical failure, the selector lever can be released from the Park position using the shift lock override procedure.

To do this, insert a long screwdriver into the notch just below the “-D+” symbol on the Shift Lever Assembly and depress the lock button while moving the selector lever out of the Park position at the same time.

This will allow the shift lever to be manually moved out of the Park position in order to move the vehicle.
thanks! great info!
Old 12-26-2013, 10:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 192 Likes on 172 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
There may be a problem with the programming of the new key (e.g. when done properly, there is communication between the ignition, engine and transmission control modules).

It can be done several ways (e.g. cloning a spare key, VIN database, with or without a programing station).

You should check if your transmission is locked when Park is selected (e.g. rolls on incline/decline).
Old 11-28-2021, 02:49 PM

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
1998 CLK 320
Does anyone know if there is a shift lock release on a 98 clk320? The car (and FOB) were stolen. Got the car back, but need to move it into the garage w/o the fob.

Any help appreciated!