CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Opinion on new headlights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-25-2014, 03:21 PM

Received 193 Likes on 125 Posts
SL 400
I have heard that too, guess it depends on the lights. I have rear LED tails and rear fog(s), both rear fogs work, although I never turn them on. They are there if I want them I guess.

Originally Posted by Gundo
I've got led tails and the rear fog (right side only) works.
Old 03-26-2014, 02:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W208 CLK55 AMG, W203 C32 AMG, W163 M Class Sport
I'm a fan of keeping the stock head lights and cleaning them with a restore kit. If you want projector lights, go for Depo, but many of the aftermarket headlight options are inferior quality to the stock units on the car. The halos are TOTALLY out of place on a MB. You would be putting a BMW trademark on your Mercedes. To update the look I would change the center city lights to LED's. There are many that look nice. Depo makes LED clear side markers for the W208 that update the car also. You can also increase your bulb color temperature from the stock 4300k to a 5000K (white used on newer MB) or 6000k (blueish white and clearly aftermarket)
Old 03-26-2014, 08:54 PM

SL 400
Originally Posted by beefstallionAMG
. The halos are TOTALLY out of place on a MB. You would be putting a BMW trademark on your Mercedes.
I dunno but opinions vary.

Halos (which are awesome IMO) to me are no more a BMW stamp then LEDs are an Audi stamp. Both companies made there respective lights popular but as a simple glance on the roads today practically ever luxury car and budget for that matter, now has LED head lights and tails although Audi made them popular. Doubtful that someone would say those cars had an Audi stamp on them.

I regularly see new cars and old sporting Halos lights in addition to the BMW. I say like most, if you like the look of whatever on your car then go for it. Only the owner has to be happy with the choices. Most everything was started by a single car company and then copied by another or in some cases taken from a different industry and moved to cars by a forward thinking car company.

Such as:
HIDs
Xenons
Lo pro tires
Piping stitching on seats.
Headlight washer nozzles
Idrive
etc, etc.

Citation - haloheadlights.co
7 and 5 ¾ inch round headlights that were originally placed on all cars starting in the 1930’s until 1979 with a unique Angel Eyes halo, made up of the latest LED SMD technology, making them look much like the Audi headlights found on their 2011/2012 vehicles.

BMW just made them popular as Audi did with their lights but neither invented them.

Always good to see some opinions being shared, sometimes it gets a little slow on the boards so thanks for adding to the forum.

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 03-26-2014 at 09:30 PM.
Old 03-27-2014, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by ThatsMyDawg
I dunno but opinions vary.

Halos (which are awesome IMO) to me are no more a BMW stamp then LEDs are an Audi stamp. Both companies made there respective lights popular but as a simple glance on the roads today practically ever luxury car and budget for that matter, now has LED head lights and tails although Audi made them popular. Doubtful that someone would say those cars had an Audi stamp on them.

I regularly see new cars and old sporting Halos lights in addition to the BMW. I say like most, if you like the look of whatever on your car then go for it. Only the owner has to be happy with the choices. Most everything was started by a single car company and then copied by another or in some cases taken from a different industry and moved to cars by a forward thinking car company.

Such as:
HIDs
Xenons
Lo pro tires
Piping stitching on seats.
Headlight washer nozzles
Idrive
etc, etc.

Citation - haloheadlights.co
7 and 5 ¾ inch round headlights that were originally placed on all cars starting in the 1930’s until 1979 with a unique Angel Eyes halo, made up of the latest LED SMD technology, making them look much like the Audi headlights found on their 2011/2012 vehicles.

BMW just made them popular as Audi did with their lights but neither invented them.

Always good to see some opinions being shared, sometimes it gets a little slow on the boards so thanks for adding to the forum.
I appreciate your opinion, however what other car than BMW uses halo/angel eye head lights from the factory?
Old 03-27-2014, 06:58 AM

SL 400
I appreciate your opinion, however what other car than BMW uses halo/angel eye head lights from the factory?
No worries, and I do understand your point. A quick web search found this. 2014 Camearo ZL1http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-zl1-sports-car.html

Old 03-27-2014, 08:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 121 Likes on 95 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
I agree, there are TONS of cars that have halo-looking lights and LEDs now. There is a set of after-market lights for W208 that is supposed to look like newer MB with a bunch of LEDs and facets inside, I think they are hideous. I'm also not a fan of the black housing lights. I think the "halo" lights really do wonders to update the look of this car. It's whatever YOU like on your car I guess.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:12 AM

SL 400
Originally Posted by jonUF02
I think the "halo" lights really do wonders to update the look of this car. It's whatever YOU like on your car I guess.
Yep, people swear I'm lying when I tell them my car is 14 years old. Instant update that I have loved since yanking my bumper off to put them on. Gonna swap my fogs for halos as soon as weather and $$ permits. Oh, well, to each his own.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by ThatsMyDawg
No worries, and I do understand your point. A quick web search found this. 2014 Camearo ZL1http://www.chevrolet.com/camaro-zl1-sports-car.html

That's a single ring not dual ring like BMW exclusively uses. It's your car though and you're welcome to do what you want. Everyone has their own opinion.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:38 AM

SL 400
Huh???
I didn't know we were speaking of dual or singles, I thought the conversation was on halos in general but ok, no prob.
That's a single ring not dual ring like BMW exclusively uses. It's your car though and you're welcome to do what you want. Everyone has their own opinion.

Last edited by ThatsMyDawg; 03-27-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
02' CLK 430
Here are my halo light and I love them. I've even attached a pic of what the wiring looks like from the back. I still need to silicone around where the thicker HID wire enters the low beam socket...I had electrical tape there and it seems to be peeling.

Forgive the filth of the car. I just drove it back from Vancouver through the Rockies and she needs a bath. And a front bumper cover repair and re-paint. Front bumper is a VIS Racing bumper.

Light output is fantastic. I've upgraded to 8000K HID lights and LED City Lights.

KRis

Last edited by etownbala; 03-28-2014 at 02:38 PM.