CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Mercedes Canada Complaint

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 09:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1999 MB CLK320
Unhappy Mercedes Canada Complaint

Hi everyone! I recently went into one of the local Mercedes Benz dealerships and requested that I purchase transmission fluid for my 1999 CLK320. The lady who helped me told me the wrong quantity of fluid and sold it to me, she did not mention anything additional info or other steps when I told her of the service I would be doing (pan and filter, no converter). I did the service taking her word and my transmission overfilled and when I called to clarify the manager gave me different info. I don't know what to do now. He refused to do anything and wanted to sell me more fluid and charge me $154/hr to inspect and fix anything that may have been damaged. What do you think I should do?

PS I had the proper MB brand dip stick.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W208 CLK55 AMG, W203 C32 AMG, W163 M Class Sport
My local MB Dealer has ordered the wrong parts a hand full of times. They have comped me on simple parts like the wrong size bots and got me the right ones. Its not like they gave you the wrong fluid. The quantity you put in is really up to you.

People working parts counters aren't mechanics. I wouldn't even trust most mechanics working on the car. Why would you go by information from the parts counter?

You need to get your hands on a DIY (which there aren't many for the W208) or find a WIS repair manual to follow. If you can't find good info or understand the job clearly, find a good independent Euro specialty shop to take your car to.

Last edited by beefstallionAMG; 06-13-2014 at 08:09 AM.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 192 Likes on 172 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
As specified in the owner's manual, the CLK320 transmission, including torque converter, transmission fill is 8.5 US Qt (8.0 L).

Replacing the fluid lost, when only draining the pan and changing the filter, is less and the responsibility of the installer.

The correct replacement amount is determined by using a dip stick, when the transmission fluid is at a prescribed operating temperature.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 122 Likes on 96 Posts
2015 GL550 4matic
I'm sure there is a write-up here, or a video on the web about how to service the trans. fluid. It's a little complicated, and you will need to purchase the trans. dipstick, as it does not come with the car, it is considered a shop tool. They are cheap on the web.

Also, there is a fully compatible fluid that can be purchased at any auto parts store. I forget exactly but you can search for it. It's in a RED bottle.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
@op - you asked what I think you should do. I hope this doesn't come across as cruel, but you may be in over your head. Fluid level is temperature dependent and the WIS says you will damage the transmission by over filling it. If I were you I'd drain some fluid and check it at the cold level. Then I'd bring it up to temperature and check it at the operating temperature level. Then I'd do as beef said and hunt down a WIS.

Lastly, you do know your dealer is in the repair business, right? They're not in the help you fix your own car business. With that in mind I wouldn't count on them for advice on how to help you do what they charge for.