CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Spare Tire

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 02:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430
Spare Tire

If I were to get an 18" spare would that fit in my trunk if it was 7.5 inches wide? I know the wheel would be bigger but the tire would also be smaller so the diamater shouldn't change. its just that if I get a flat now my stock spare wont go around my brembos I fear so I have to get a bigger size. Any thoughts?
Old 12-08-2003, 02:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Re: Spare Tire

Originally posted by nuttertmf
If I were to get an 18" spare would that fit in my trunk if it was 7.5 inches wide? I know the wheel would be bigger but the tire would also be smaller so the diamater shouldn't change. its just that if I get a flat now my stock spare wont go around my brembos I fear so I have to get a bigger size. Any thoughts?
the spare wheel well should be able to fit the 18" wheels & tires fine... as so long as the width of the wheels are about 7.5 and the tires are about the same width as the OE 17" spare

Worst case scenario... if the 18s don't fit, just modify the floor cover in the trunk... its pretty easy to make, even a novice like myself has made one....
Old 12-08-2003, 03:27 AM

CLK 430
Re: Re: Spare Tire

Originally posted by mmgrad
the spare wheel well should be able to fit the 18" wheels & tires fine... as so long as the width of the wheels are about 7.5 and the tires are about the same width as the OE 17" spare

Worst case scenario... if the 18s don't fit, just modify the floor cover in the trunk... its pretty easy to make, even a novice like myself has made one....
Jesus christ man thanks you answer everyone of my questions
Old 12-08-2003, 10:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Re: Re: Re: Spare Tire

Yeah Danny is definitely the man on here. I remember when I first joined I seriously thought he was an MB tech or something. If there was a question I couldn't answer I would refer people over to him lol. Funny thing is, he's still a post ***** ;0)
Old 12-08-2003, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Spare Tire

Originally posted by Josh K
Yeah Danny is definitely the man on here. I remember when I first joined I seriously thought he was an MB tech or something. If there was a question I couldn't answer I would refer people over to him lol. Funny thing is, he's still a post ***** ;0)
haha... thanks guys...

well, i was only a post ***** up until the site crashed... after that, i just lost all motivation to start whoring again.... i mean seriously, when you lose 3-4,000 post counts, it kinda sucks
Old 12-08-2003, 11:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: Re: Spare Tire

I'm actually stalking you... making sure I answer each & every one of your questions until you run out of questions.... muahahahaha

hehehe, j/k... just glad i could help...
Old 12-09-2003, 02:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' CLK55
danny....u call yourself a "novice?" darn! if you are a novice....i'm a lowly counter boy..... hahaha... but yeah....i have a 18" spare and it's pretty easy to construct or modify the current "floor board" that covers the spare.

AL
Old 12-09-2003, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Spare Tire

haha... thanks guys...

well, i was only a post ***** up until the site crashed... after that, i just lost all motivation to start whoring again.... i mean seriously, when you lose 3-4,000 post counts, it kinda sucks

Yeah, same thing happened to me - at least you didn't get bumped down from Fanatic to Super Member :0(
Old 12-09-2003, 02:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S
Originally posted by clkal
danny....u call yourself a "novice?" darn! if you are a novice....i'm a lowly counter boy..... hahaha... but yeah....i have a 18" spare and it's pretty easy to construct or modify the current "floor board" that covers the spare.

AL
Danny is most certainly not a novice...
Old 12-09-2003, 03:04 AM

CLK 430
Originally posted by clkal

AL
Just curious is it 7.5"'s wide and what size tire is on it? 225/40-18?
Old 12-09-2003, 09:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My only question is why havent they made you a full fledged moderator of mbworld with tags to match? Im sure you would love that and you do more work than most of the moderators on the forum anyway???
Old 12-09-2003, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Danny is most certainly not a novice...
aw shucks.... thanks for the compliments...

Just curious is it 7.5"'s wide and what size tire is on it? 225/40-18?
Yes, 225/40 is the closest size you can get to match up with the stock spare... the sectional width of the tire is only .1" wider, and the overall diameter of the spare is about .5" larger...

Originally posted by J Lucas
My only question is why havent they made you a full fledged moderator of mbworld with tags to match? Im sure you would love that and you do more work than most of the moderators on the forum anyway???
I do spend a lot of time on the forum, mostly the W208 forum.... I've toyed with the idea and I think I've asked about what qualifications are required to be a mod., but I was never given a response.... it would be nice to be a mod, but, as so long as MBWorld doesn't ban me from the site, I can still continue to post and answer questions like anyone else could...
Old 12-09-2003, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

E550 Coupe
if the front and rear wheels are different sizes, wouldnt you need two spare tires? or does the rear take wheels from the front too? my 98 came with the stock rims from the 2001 model and the spare rim is like one from a C32AMG except it's been painted black for some reason. ah well, got the car for cheap!
Old 12-10-2003, 12:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S
You only need one spare tire - they're not meant for looks or to drive around on for extended periods of time - they're made to get your car moving to get your tire fixed/replaced.
Old 12-10-2003, 12:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1951 Caterpiller D6
You only need one spare tire - they're not meant for looks or to drive around on for extended periods of time - they're made to get your car moving to get your tire fixed/replaced.
Yeah, the F/R diameter is close enough to each other to keep ASR/ESP from going nuts.
Old 12-10-2003, 10:05 AM

CLK 230 Kompressor
Originally posted by iosmart
if the front and rear wheels are different sizes, wouldnt you need two spare tires? or does the rear take wheels from the front too? my 98 came with the stock rims from the 2001 model and the spare rim is like one from a C32AMG except it's been painted black for some reason. ah well, got the car for cheap!
The black 5 spoke spare wheel is not a regular wheel.
Josh K is right. It only has a limited life-span like 5000 miles or something, so it must be made of less durable material, and definitely not safe to speed on.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by heeman
The black 5 spoke spare wheel is not a regular wheel.
Josh K is right. It only has a limited life-span like 5000 miles or something, so it must be made of less durable material, and definitely not safe to speed on.
thats bull...

well, i guess it really depends on what kind of donut MB gives you... we, in the states, have a full size 225/45 Michelin Pilot Sports...

The tires themselves are perfect and can be used at speeds they are rated for, and for over 10,000 miles like any other Pilot Sport tire...

The only issue with using the spare long term & at high speeds is that the SPARE WHEEL itself is not meant for that... it is made of a weaker material that expands/contracts during different speeds & temperatures, therefore it is unsafe to drive at high speeds with that wheel.

However, if you take that tire and mount it on a regular alloy wheel, you can drive it as hard or as normal as you want...
Old 12-10-2003, 11:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S
thats bull...

well, i guess it really depends on what kind of donut MB gives you... we, in the states, have a full size 225/45 Michelin Pilot Sports...

The tires themselves are perfect and can be used at speeds they are rated for, and for over 10,000 miles like any other Pilot Sport tire...

The only issue with using the spare long term & at high speeds is that the SPARE WHEEL itself is not meant for that... it is made of a weaker material that expands/contracts during different speeds & temperatures, therefore it is unsafe to drive at high speeds with that wheel.

However, if you take that tire and mount it on a regular alloy wheel, you can drive it as hard or as normal as you want...

ppssshhhhh spare tire, spare wheel, everyone ELSE knew what I meant

Old 12-10-2003, 12:17 PM

CLK 230 Kompressor
thats bull...

I meant the spare wheel, I thought Josh meant the wheel as well even though he typed tire.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:05 PM

CLK 430
I have to wake the thread back up....the rim needs a spacer...what size should I get and where should I get it and keep in mind I am clueless on spacers
Old 01-02-2004, 06:05 PM

CLK 430
I have to wake the thread back up....the rim needs a spacer...what size should I get and where should I get it and keep in mind I am clueless on spacers
Old 01-03-2004, 03:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

huh???

what you talkin about willis?

the spare wheel will fit onto the car perfectly without any use of spacers...

if you have aftermarket wheels that required you to use different length bolts, then you might need to use spacers... BUT... if you do have aftermarket wheels, the easiest solution is to keep a set of factory bolts in with your spare, and you will have no problems....

oh, the only other problem I can see with using the factory spare is IF you have an EXTREMELY large big brake kit that requires something larger than a 17" wheel clearance (assuming you have a 17" spare)....
Old 01-03-2004, 02:51 PM

CLK 430
IF you have an EXTREMELY large big brake kit that requires something larger than a 17" wheel clearance
bingo...so I got an 18" rim becaus that is the min needed to clear it and it doesn't fit still, it clears the rim but needs a spacer to fit properly. how do I find out what size to get?
Old 01-03-2004, 03:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

bingo...so I got an 18" rim becaus that is the min needed to clear it and it doesn't fit still, it clears the rim but needs a spacer to fit properly. how do I find out what size to get?
so... your 17" spare clears the brake? just not enough clearance around the spokes?

If it was me, I'd simply buy a 5th wheel with the same design & size of the front, and use that as a spare... or at least, one that is the same design, and will clear the brake kit....

or are you saying that your 18" wheels have problems clearing the brakes??
Old 01-03-2004, 04:11 PM

CLK 430
so... your 17" spare clears the brake? just not enough clearance around the spokes?

If it was me, I'd simply buy a 5th wheel with the same design & size of the front, and use that as a spare... or at least, one that is the same design, and will clear the brake kit....

or are you saying that your 18" wheels have problems clearing the brakes??
So my 17" doesn't clear the brake but my 18 clears it...yet not enough clearance around the spokes...so a spacer will solve the problem.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Spare Tire