CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

tightening the latches for the convertible top?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2003, 03:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tightening the latches for the convertible top?

When I go over certain type of bump I can hear a clicking like sound coming from the driver side latch. When I have the windows down it happens more. And when i have the top down I don't hear it at all.
I had the top replaced about 2 months ago at a dealer and the cloth has been fully stretched out now. It's pretty annoying because I can hear the clicking more frequently recently.

So I would like to know if there is a way to tighten the latches.

Thanks
Old 12-23-2003, 02:15 PM

2003 CLK430 Cabriolet
i have the exact same clicking.
mine is not the latch, however, it's in one of the roof rails.
when i reach my hand up over my head, and tap the roof rail (the support rods that run inside the roof structrure) directly above me, i can reproduce the clicking sound.
it sounds like metal on metal - like tap shoes almost.
dealer said it's probably a loose screw or a lost screw and that it happens all the time.
i'm taking it in after the holiday.
maybe you have the same problem?
Old 12-23-2003, 02:41 PM

I know exactly what you are referring to. But unfortunately I have that issue inaddition to my problem.

I think it must be a 03 thing. Since my top is new i think it's gotta be an 03 or simular top. And 2 of my railings that holds the roof cloth would "snap" and produce a high pitched clicking sound going over rough roads.

I don't think there is anything they can do about it unless they slide off the whole top and insert some felts between the beam and plastic rail that holds the roof cloth. The plastic rail does look loose enough to maybe forced off. But i am out of warranty so this might be an issue I have to live with.

If you do take the car in for them to fix the problem can you ask how they did it? Also can you point out the latches and ask if there is a way to tighten the grip on the latches?

Thanks.
Old 12-30-2003, 08:53 AM

2000 CLK 430
Thought I was crazy

I also have a 2000 CLK 430 CAB and it sounds like someone is tap dancing in the back of the car with the top up. No problem with the top down.

Have you taken it to the dealer to service yet and what was the diagnosis? I took mine in the other day but they could not fix it after tightening the cables and such.

This is the last tweak on my car as it seems all the other problems or squeaks have been solved so I'm anxious to get this fixed.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:23 PM

Try tapping from inside of the car on one of the rails that props up the top. There are 3-4 rails, one of them is right above your head. Tap the center of the rails and probably you will hear the same "tap dancing" noise.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:06 PM

Yea my 99 clk 320 has that sick tapping sound. It is cold here in NJ, and i find raising my top once in a while fixes all my rattles. Perhaps the latches get loose and by me opening and closing it, tightens up?

I have 2 10 inch subs in the trunk tho, and boy that makes the top rattle.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:19 PM

I know that the windows, all 4 of them supports/lifts the top a little. If I lowered my windows i would hear the latches clicking when i go over some bumps.

But having them 10s in the back will definitely cover up any clicking sound