CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Some more retrofit questions????

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 08:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 SL500
Lightbulb Some more retrofit questions????

What does anyone think about these retro-fit ideas?? Are they do-able? Any pics? Would like to do myself. (The "Victim" car is a 1998 CLK320, no mods, every option 'cept heated seats)

1. Heated seats, are they prewired? Do I need new leather or is it an insert like the aftermarket kits? (Did see reply to last post indicating who will do this, wondering if anyone else has)
2. Would love to change my steering wheel to the MY 2000+ version, for looks and stereo/CD controls. Would head unit need replacement too, is it even possible?
3. Model Year 2000+ instrument cluster is COOL, could I just pop that right in there?
4. Any way to add AUTO-UP feature to the windows (my 5 series BMW had it, I miss it).
5. I have a StarTac Trimode (non-MB), is there a wire/connection that will intereface with the car, even if only for charging/power functions? (I notice some plug inside the center armrest)
6. What can I do to stop the trunk from opening so violently?
7. Any alternatives to the cupholders? Want to remove it but what can go in its place? Any felt lined inserts available?

Thanks, any feedback is much appreciated! Also, any one have that "parts list PDF" that was posted? I keep getting a bad link message?

RVP
Old 01-08-2004, 02:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
1. Heated Seats might be pre-wired - they were in my car so it was a little easier for Steve to install them. The biggest pain for him was taking the leather covers off the seats (the heating pads for the CLK are inserts, by the way)
2.-3. Both of these are doable but must be done in tandem and are not simply plug and play. It is doable, however and it a very popular mod on 202's, and pre-00 208's and 210's.
4. I think this might be doable by replacing the window control units but it might take more work than that. If you really want it, I'm pretty sure it can be done, but it might be more money than it's worth to retrofit.
5. If it's not an MBenz phone there's no way you'll get it to integrate with the car. You might be able to use the phone kit to charge the phone but buying the phone kit is a stupid amount of money to spend just for a charger. There is no prewire plug to phone cable that will let you charge the phone that simply - if you want to see if it will charge, you have to get the whole phone kit.
6. I think the springs might be able to be adjusted to keep the trunk from opening too quickly, but hopefully someone else will know more and can be of more assistance.
7. There aren't any felt lined inserts available to replace the cupholder but you could always have one fabricated. It would make a nice place to store an iPod, a cell phone, etc.

Last edited by Josh K; 01-08-2004 at 02:31 AM.
Old 01-08-2004, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
the trunk springs have different settings... have your dealer adjust it if you don't like its current setting...

and I too have been thinking about getting rid of the current cup holder to fabricate something more useful
Old 01-08-2004, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
woohoo! for the first time in I don't know how long, I beat Danny to answering a tech post!

Old 01-08-2004, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Originally posted by Josh K
woohoo! for the first time in I don't know how long, I beat Danny to answering a tech post!

thats cause i have to work....