CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Having a few issues with my 430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 03:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK430
Having a few issues with my 430

So after a very long list of mods and maintenance items, that i feel i should list for you all to grasp the issue i am having. Car is dropped on h&r springs and koni adjustable shocks set to the softest setting. just replaced center drag link, inner and outer tie rod, idler arm, steering damper, ball joints, front Kmac kit. for the rear, adjustable camber arm, trailing arm bushing, lca bushing. any other arm back there, i forget. Diff seals replaced, new axles installed as my boots had dry rotted and leaked everywhere.

What is relevant to my issue is the front end. For reference i am running w211 e55 amg rims. my car is perpetually out of alignment. The specs for the camber are -2.6 degrees Front Left, and -1.6 Front Right. Said thats the best he could get it and recommended i change my tires over from one side to another at each oil change. What i want to do is figure out what is causing this. The only parts i havent replaced are the upper control arms, maybe i am missing something else, i dont know. Oh also when i turn my steering wheel just before it locks(maybe even half a turn before lock) it feels as if my car is shimmying over and seriously f***ing things up. U-turns are a PITA. Im sorry for such a long boring read, but im losing my mind over my poor Benz
Old 04-22-2015, 10:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 CLK430
bump

Bump. Anyone have any input?
Old 04-24-2015, 07:44 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'00 Mercedes 430/55 clk cabriolet
Hi!

I don't know what is causing your alignment problems but lowering our cars seriously put it out, you will never achieve factory settings!

Because you have a K-mac kit that should have fixed things. When my alignment was done my car steered properly but still pulled to the left a little (in your case to the right to counteract the crown in the road) that would still be a given.

Are you sure nothing under your car is bent or improperly installed and the correct hub centric spacer are fitted for your wheels?
Old 04-24-2015, 09:42 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2001 Clk55 AMG
The k-Mac kit was able to fix my lowered 55, it had enough adjustment to pull the camber back to zero, not sure why your having problems. The only thing I don't like about the k-Mac kit is that it messes with the steering geometry. It feels like it increases bump steer to me. I also think that the wider wheels and tires in the front are to blame for most of the u-turn issues. Also any worn parts will add up and be very noticeable when turning tight. I know what your feeling though, I have 245 pss on 8.5" wheels in the front and I immediately felt the difference in tight u-turn situations.