CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

BEWARE of Carlsson RS REPLICA kit on EBAY

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2004, 01:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much would you say a Genuine Carlsson kit is going for currently?
Old 02-05-2004, 07:21 PM
Banned

Replicas Suck

All I can say about all this is:
ITS A REPLICA, DEAL WITH IT. What you pay is what you get, they are cheap for a reason. simple.

Oh btw, I did my car there and it looks sexy hot, so I dunno why you pinning all the blame on the shop. see for yourself, but of course my shiet is all original so can't really compare can i...

http://www.mbklasse.com/forums/showt...&threadid=4538

Last edited by mbphreak; 02-05-2004 at 08:15 PM.
Old 02-05-2004, 08:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
Originally posted by J Lucas
How much would you say a Genuine Carlsson kit is going for currently?
Last guy I talked to wanted over $5 grand for his and I'm doubtful it was even real. All of the "genuine" carlsson logos and serial numbers he sent me pictures of were present on my replica as well and the quality of the fiberglass looked about the same as mine, so I'd be very wary of anyone advertising a "real kit." At the very least, I'd make them show a dated bill of sale from Carlsson and some other form of verification. Only about 5-10 were actually made and the kit was never put into production (show cars only). Also, as I've said several times already, the real kits don't fit that well either. I've seen CM60's at the Carlsson booths a few years ago and where it lined up to the fenders and around the lights was nowhere near as clean a fit as OEM. Some guy that goes to my school also had a kit he claimed was real and the same fitment problems were there.

While I agree with the sentiment that you get what you pay for with regard to replica kits (and replica products in general), as J Lucas said, the real kit isn't really an option for most people wanting the Carlsson RS look and the sources for "real ones" that do pop up want ridiculous amounts of money and are unwilling/unable to prove their authenticity. Furthermore, if all of these conditions were still met, you'd be paying upwards of $5k for a fiberglass kit that still needs work to fit.

My friend owns a body shop, so I didn't have to pay for body work - but molding the replica to my OEM bumpers so they fit like OEM pieces took about a month. So figuring about $1500 for paint and install plus the cost of the replica (approx. $600) would put you at less than half the cost of a real kit. Mine also fits better, keeps the OEM impact strips and foglight splash shields, got rid of the ugly space for the plate in front, and utilized all of the original bumper reinforcements/styrofoam impact absorbtion pieces (which the real RS front does NOT use).

With kits that are still in production and readily available such as Brabus and Lorinser, getting the real one is obviously the best option. With kits that are virtually impossible to find and poorly fitting however, the replica is the smarter option, but as everyone has already said - they need lots of work.

My whole view on replicas are that they do hurt businesses when said business is still selling comparable products, but when a company is no longer producing that particular product, a replica is pretty much the only option and in no way harms that business (as they can't lose money on a product they don't even sell).

To get back on topic, it think clkal's main gripe was that the kit was advertised as being a direct fit and not needing that much work and the seller was completely unwilling to stand by his product. This is a legitimate gripe and the seller should either stop selling his products under false pretenses, or should be fully willing to satisfy a disappointed customer. Sorry again to hear about that clkal - hope your body shop makes it work. :0)
Old 02-05-2004, 08:12 PM
Banned

What you pay is what you get. And when you're willing to pay but cannot get, move on to your next option. No one forced you to get the RS kit.

Side note: the real kits are made of PUR, can immediately tell from a picture of the unpainted interior.

Fiberglass = replica

Last edited by mbphreak; 02-05-2004 at 08:18 PM.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
01' CLK55
for those of you who are NOW sticking up for this POS shop as of yesterday (coincidentally after ROBERT called me up out of the blue when he found out about my posts), you can keep on saying that replica is replica. You can keep on saying that you get what you pay for. Are you NOT even reading what I'm posting? You guys sound like a damn parrot, repeating the same **** over and over. that's all i have to say. Josh understands what I am going through right now, and hit it right on the button.

Now for an interesting update to my FU#KED up situation. Yesterday , around 2:00pm, I get a call from Robert, asking me why I posted all this "shiZ" about him and his shop. Boy, was he upset. Calling me names , etc, etc, however unfortunately for him, I have a booming voice, so he got an earful back....LOL. After that idiot calmed down a little I asked him a question. I asked him if I lied about anything......he answered "no....but you didn't have to post all that stuff....I was going to take care of you." That's when I went off on him again. I repeated his "what do you want me to do, what can i do" answer he gave me the first day. He acknowledged AGAIN that he didn't have a front bumper OR side skirts, and that if I waited until the end of MARCH, he could replace the whole kit for me. I told him that he should have offered that option BEFORE i brought my car into the shop, NOT after 2 weeks of the guys modifying the kit to make it fit. Then he replied with "well, YOU should have asked for a refund...." That was the bottom line with me. Also, there were 2 more things that he said that just shows that he is running a mickey mouse operation down there.

1. He told me that NEXT time I buy something from him, to make it up to me, he would give me a "smashing" deal......... WTF makes him think that I would actually buy anything from him again after all this shiz? What a dumb M.F.

2. He told me that he could send me a $150 check to make up for all this mess, and to call it "quits." I told him that $150 was an insult. I told him to take that $150 and shove it up his own a$$. I asked him if he thought that $150 would make up for the extra 3 weeks that the shop has to spend to "remake" the kit.

The bottom line is this : this shop is only out to get your money. They don't give a **** about customer service. Robert didn't believe how ****ed up the kit was until he talked to my body shop's manager. This shop works only on benz/bimmers/ and porshes. So again, beware of this shop, and PLEASE do NOT buy anything from them. You will get screwed.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:21 PM
Banned

omigod did he just call me a...

CLKAL: I am not a mother****ing parrot, we are just saying that you made an uneducated decision. All replicas don't fit well, like Harris said, 9.5 out 10 times replicas don't fit. It's common knowledge, you should have known that going into the deal.

Second of all, I think you going over the ****ing top. You are 1 single person, you don't represent a community, you represent your sorry self, you do understand the repercussions of posting this nonsense right? you're ruining someone's reputation.

Bottomline is your making a mountain out of a molehill...4 days delay, go **** yourself, I've had delays of over 2 weeks from reputable car shops, even the ****ing dealer. You went the cheap route, that's why it's call the CHEAP ROUTE. For all you know, your bodyshop is just out squeeze you for an extra buck?

I for one had my car done down there, everything turned out fine...I even posted a damn link so you could see it for yourself. Im in the bay, I want to really see how great of a job your bodyshop did.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:25 PM
Banned

This shop works only on benz/bimmers/ and porshes
Not to flame but...lol that must've of been embarrassing to bring in a replica kit. Where was it? Topline in Burlingame?
Old 02-06-2004, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S
Originally posted by mbphreak
Well, look at your fitment. It ain't perfect, even
from such a small shot, I can tell it's fake from the
misalignment between bumper and fender...either that
or you got hit.

What you pay is what you get. And when you're willing
to pay but cannot get, move on to your next option. No
one forced you to get the RS kit.

Side note: the real kits are made of PUR, can
immediately tell from a picture of the unpainted
interior.

Fiberglass = replica
Actually the fitment is perfect as everywhere
it lines up to my car is OEM mercedes bumper. The
"mis-alignment" you speak of is the result of a
photoshopped sig pic. And if the original
kits aren't made of fiberglass then the Carlsson
people must have been using replicas on their booth
cars. It's very easy to tell if something's fiberglass
when you knock on it, and the "official" kits on the Carlsson show car's were definitely not PUR. ;0)

Last edited by Josh K; 02-06-2004 at 12:44 PM.
Old 02-06-2004, 12:48 PM
Banned

FYI:

they don't make their kits in fiberglass no more

and I wonder why?
Old 02-06-2004, 01:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Why does everyone keep reiterating replica kits are "cheap" and that they "don't always fit"?

Like previously mentioned, we are NOT talking about a Brabus kit or a Lorinser kit that you can order from 20 different places. Al wanted the Carlsson RS look. There are other guys on this forum that have the RS replica kit and had them beautifully installed (e.g. Josh and Bruce).

I hope that shop realizes that we do have a lot of members here in Southern California and that if they don't do everything possible to make this right they are definitely going to miss out on a lot of business.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:17 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Samoan_Ridah
Why does everyone keep reiterating replica kits are "cheap" and that they "don't always fit"?

Like previously mentioned, we are NOT talking about a Brabus kit or a Lorinser kit that you can order from 20 different places. Al wanted the Carlsson RS look. There are other guys on this forum that have the RS replica kit and had them beautifully installed (e.g. Josh and Bruce).

I hope that shop realizes that we do have a lot of members here in Southern California and that if they don't do everything possible to make this right they are definitely going to miss out on a lot of business.
Lets ask Josh how many man hours he had to put in to get it to fit right? Lets ask if it fit right from the get-go? REPLICAS DO NOT FIT WELL PERIOD. It's not a reiteration/repetition/blablabla IT'S ****ING FACT.

HE MADE AN UNEDUCATED DECISION PERIOD.

Want the RS kit so bad? ORDER IT DIRECT from Germany. Sorry for the caps, but i guess I need to speak in your lingo to convey my message.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:28 PM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
Lets ask Josh how many man hours he had to put in to get it to fit right? Lets ask if it fit right from the get-go? REPLICAS DO NOT FIT WELL PERIOD. It's not a reiteration/repetition/blablabla IT'S ****ING FACT.

Want the RS kit so bad? ORDER IT DIRECT from Germany. Sorry for the caps, but i guess I need to speak in your lingo to convey my message.
My point was that every-****ing-body already knows that. No one is arguing that replica kits are cheap and don't fit right. The point of Al's thread is that the kit was damaged, arrived later than promised and was an inch or so too short. Not lining up 'perfectly' with the car and the sideskirts being an inch too short are two completely different things.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:32 PM

so the shop is eurorev?

Edit: or paclinkmotorsport?

Last edited by Hank; 02-06-2004 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-06-2004, 01:49 PM
Banned

baaaaaaaaahh!

Yes, it is EuroRev.

Damage on arrival should be covered by the courier, but CLKAL couldn't wait for the claim to go through?

As for the angry inch, it's a replica of a replica, go figure. As it gets replicated over and over and over, everything changes. IT'S A REPLICA OF A REPLICA, blame it on the warehouse/supplier the shop got it from...it's not like the car shop is going to have a spare CLK sitting around just to make sure every damn replica that comes thru fits?

4days late? it wasn't like a month, then I'd be pissed...

I just don't think it justifies him tarnishing someone's reputation and it reflects badly on people like me who did their cars there. MY CAR LOOKS SEXY HOT!

again bottomline: DON'T BE A CHEAPA$$! how's that for not repeating myself.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Tesla Model S

Even if I was paying for all the body work, it still would have been cheaper than a "real" kit and the real kit would have needed work as well, as it doesn't fit well either.

mbphreak, I don't think we disagree on the fact that replica's do need work and usually don't fit well. All I'm saying is that in the case of the RS kit, it's still economically smarter and a more realistic solution than paying for a real one, especially since the real one is no longer produced.

Fact is, you can't order them from Germany or anywhere for that matter, as they haven't been produced for a few years. I spoke to several people at Carlsson in Germany when I was in the market for the kit and they told me that it was not available and was never put into production.

Also, I still believe that clkal's main problem was that the retailer misrepresented his product and didn't come around on the deal until his business practices were being posted about on here. That's no way to treat a customer, and if the kit took as much work as replicas usually do take to fit right, then he should have advertised it as such, and happily accepted the return when his customer was dissatisfied.

mbphreak, I understand that your car was done well at the shop and that others have had good experiences with them as well. If you have a good business relationship with that guy then perhaps you should tell him that he needs to take care of his other customers as well. If my body shop friend did this to someone, I would most certainly talk to him about it - c'mon people - these forums are here for us to help one another....
Old 02-07-2004, 07:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

r171
yes, robert is affiliated with EuroRev, but what he does on his private time is his own business. we at eurorev are not in the business of selling replicas

clkal: what did you expect for paying 1/10 the price? perfection? dont front like you would have bought the original if you could find it! you bought replica brabus rims too!

ive seen many replica RS kits put on and they look good. so you pay a few hundred bucks more for the labor. overall you still paying less than half of what the original kit would cost. maybe your body shop is d*ckin you around.

the pics of the black car is fully done by robert and the pics of the red car is using the same replica kit that you got.

it doesnt matter if a kit is scrathed when its unpainted. when they prep, prime and paint it, the scratches will all be take out.

have you ever bought a body kit before?

i have got all the info from robert. you are the one who asked for $200 compensation and robert said $150. so dont make like it was robert offering to buy you off. you brought it up.

robert already offered you a refund if you would have just followed the procedure. you said the kit was damaged in shipping, so they would have filed an insurance claim and returned you your money. BUT you refused.

also. when robert keeps on repeating "what do you want me to do for you?" its cuz everytime he asks that, you never give him a response. if you wanted a refund you should have told him so.

samoan: you said that bruce's car turned out nice? Bruce got his kit from felix. and robert has the same kits from the same mold that felix does. so obviously if bruces car turned out nice and all atleast 3 other clk RS ive seen robert do turned out nice. then there is something wrong with clkal and his bodyshop.

so what? you pay a few hundred more dollars to get it fit right. in the end you still only paying less than a third of what the original would cost.

if you dont understand fiberglass and dtm kits, then you shouldnt be buying it in the first place. ALL replica kits have to be worked with.

BTW those pics are not stolen. the black clk is one that robert did with the same kit as that fool clkal has. and the red clk is not a member from SF. he is an indo guy from seattle - who is also using the replica kit!!
Old 02-07-2004, 08:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

r171
Originally posted by Samoan_Ridah
My point was that every-****ing-body already knows that. No one is arguing that replica kits are cheap and don't fit right. The point of Al's thread is that the kit was damaged, arrived later than promised and was an inch or so too short. Not lining up 'perfectly' with the car and the sideskirts being an inch too short are two completely different things.
hey, it isnt as if the package was 1 month late. it was 4 days late. dont you understand that shippers give a relative time frame, eg 7-10 business days. its not as if we promised to drive the kit up there ourselves!

Originally posted by Hank
so the shop is eurorev?

Edit: or paclinkmotorsport?
This is sale is not the business of eurorev or paclink. as i said earlier, what robert does on his private time is his own business.

robert is also NOT the manager of eurorev. he is a sales guy.

Originally posted by Josh K
Also, I still believe that clkal's main problem was that the retailer misrepresented his product and didn't come around on the deal until his business practices were being posted about on here. That's no way to treat a customer, and if the kit took as much work as replicas usually do take to fit right, then he should have advertised it as such, and happily accepted the return when his customer was dissatisfied.

robert already told this guy in the first place that the kit was reserved for someone else. yet he begged for it. it is not a product which robert produces himself.

he was offered the refund, but did not want to follow the return policy.

please put some thought into this. would you wanna deal with some guy and be nice to him after he talked all this **** about you?

how is the product misrepresented? its not as if robert said it was the original! and how should robert know that clkal has such low IQ. as i said earlier, robert has done many clk RS kits and they all looked fine. you dont believe it? just go down to the shop and he'll arrange for his customer to come in and show it to you.
Old 02-07-2004, 08:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

r171
Josh K: how come your bumper turned out nicely? the guy who sold you that bumper probably got it from the same place as robert did.
Old 02-07-2004, 01:48 PM

W203 and W211
In my opinion every bodykits need to be fitted and it really does require modifications, I bought an authentic carlsson CRS and my bodyshop need to modify it before it fits perfectly on my car.

Ab-ab
Old 02-07-2004, 04:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
[Secret]

Secret Poster: never deal w/ indos, unless their name is Ben@TWS
Secret Poster: lol
The Doctor: lol only indo i trust.
Secret Poster: none of that permaisuri crap

[/Secret]
Old 02-08-2004, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
to all the losers who are backing euro rev AND robert.....i don't have time right now to respond to your ridiculous posts, however, I do see that you guys have soo much time on your hands to call me up and pretend you are members on the board to ask me questions about my situation.....LOL....u think i didn't know ?
Old 02-08-2004, 08:20 PM
Banned

CLKAL that wasn't wise. I guess you're some immature kid still living off your mama's milk?

Email me or call me, I really want to see how good a job your bodyshop did.

soooohot@hotmail.com
Old 02-08-2004, 08:25 PM

CL600
Robert didn't rip you off, your shop did.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:32 PM
Banned

Or better yet just take pictures or post your bodyshop address. I'm just curious to see the results.
Old 02-08-2004, 09:15 PM

Originally posted by clkal
to all the losers who are backing euro rev AND robert.....i don't have time right now to respond to your ridiculous posts, however, I do see that you guys have soo much time on your hands to call me up and pretend you are members on the board to ask me questions about my situation.....LOL....u think i didn't know ?
Hey cheapo! u talk like a king but u only able to pay for a replica ?!? I will sell my authentic carlsson RS just for your for only $4000, rear bumper and side skirts still brand new, original price $8000 u can ask oberklasse.

we know u only got 1grand to spend for the carlsson kit that is why you got so mad. If u dont have money to pay for authentic and want the looks, please say thank you to the shop u bought it from, not pissed them off. Yes all my friend has bad replica kits, but the most expensive they pay is $800 plus paint, and it is worse than yours, the rear bumper too wide it need to be cut in the center to fit. of course It is still much cheaper than paying authentic, jackhole !

Last edited by BryBenz; 02-08-2004 at 11:24 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: BEWARE of Carlsson RS REPLICA kit on EBAY