CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Transmission fluid

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-14-2015, 02:36 PM

Received 48 Likes on 47 Posts
LS400
Transmission fluid

I'm planning on having an independent do a trans service on a clk430 2002.
Its a very reputable transmission shop in the area, I asked if they use special Mercedes fluid and he said no, but it meets and exceeds their spec and is full synthetic. Just looking for any input, advice, problems etc.
Old 08-14-2015, 02:38 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
02' CLK 430
Valvoline Maxlife ATF

Meets or exceeds MB Fluid at a fraction of the cost. I did my own transmission service and used this fluid. 30,000km and going strong. Transmission felt much smoother shifting after the fluid change.

KRis
Old 08-15-2015, 04:14 AM

LS400
Did you look for the O ring leak that can send the fluid into the control unit?
And how many quarts did it take?
Old 08-15-2015, 05:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
02' CLK 430
Originally Posted by exhaustgases
Did you look for the O ring leak that can send the fluid into the control unit?
And how many quarts did it take?
Yeah I did the O-Ring fix. It was easy...and the part is cheap. Mine was in good condition and non of the fluid migrated up the wire to the TCM. It was essentially plug and play. It can be stubborn going back in but just take your time. You do not want to damage the electrical prongs or you will be replacing the whole TCM.

I used a fluid extractor to take out as much trans fluid as I could and then measured the amount. I put an exact amount back plus a cup full (I figured some would have evaporated or burned off over 12 years. It was a pretty simple painless job. Replacing the filter is also quite easy. A little messy but straight forward.

I probably ended up putting in 4-5 quarts. The whole transmission takes 8 or 9 litres but the rest of the fluid is stored in the diff which is inaccessibly without going trough a lamenting process. I did not go that far. I figured I'd do another fluid change at 50000 km and then catch some dirty fluid then.

KRis
Old 08-16-2015, 03:04 AM

LS400
TCM ? Isn't it just a wire harness that goes to the TCM?
Old 08-16-2015, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 175 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
The conductor plate, located inside the transmission, connects to the TCM, located inside the passenger compartment foot well. The wiring harness connects to the transmission body via a pilot bushing. A very common problem has been that these bushings leaked and fluid wicked along the wiring harness into the TCM. MB has since redesigned the pilot bushing to correct the problem.

Although MB initially said out transmission fluid was a life time fill, experience has shown otherwise, with MB recommending that a transmission service be done at 40K miles and each 40K miles thereafter. From what I've been told, graphite from clutch as well as metal filings mess up the conductor plate electrics inside the transmission.

Although I'm an avid DIYer, I had this service done by a dealership, at a cost of $231. The service involved cleaning the magnet that should catch the metal filings, replacing the filter, elastomer pan gasket, locking pin. seal ring and 6 quarts of new fluid. They used Mobil ATF 134 at $9.35/quart (e.g. not the MB branded fluid) and determined the correct level with a dip stick at a specified temperature.

For most W208 model years, the transmission torque converter does not have a drain bolt, so some old fluid reminds after this service (e.g. believe only the 1998 had the additional drain bolt).
Old 08-17-2015, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1998 CLK320 & 2009 ML350
The drain for the torque converter must have been cut off during 1998. When I changed the transmission fluid on mine, based on what I have read, I fully expected to be able to drain the torque converter. Bought enough of the red Gold Mercedes fluid to do so. Was disappointing to find that there was no drain on the torque converter. Rotate the engine several times thinking I was just missing it, but none to be found.

Just did the standard drain and refill. Will do it again after about 10K miles. It did shift smoother after the change though. Defiantly something that needs to be done, mine had about 114K on it.