CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

WIRING SUBS W208 CABRIO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK320 W208
WIRING SUBS W208 CABRIO

Hey guys,

Just need your advice on running subs. I don't need too much base, so I picked up an Alpine Type E off a friend for 50 bucks and was wondering if I run the inline converter through the factory Bose sub that's in the back. Also, will I need a new deck, because I still have the OEM tape deck with no aux input. And knowing Mercedes, I don't think I'll be able to get too much base into the cab, is there anything that can help with this situation? I.E Is there a way to take the center arm rest out, and put a ski hole in it, or is it possible to put the rear seats down? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jana
Old 01-23-2016, 08:03 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
Originally Posted by jana97
Hey guys,

Just need your advice on running subs. I don't need too much base, so I picked up an Alpine Type E off a friend for 50 bucks and was wondering if I run the inline converter through the factory Bose sub that's in the back. Also, will I need a new deck, because I still have the OEM tape deck with no aux input. And knowing Mercedes, I don't think I'll be able to get too much base into the cab, is there anything that can help with this situation? I.E Is there a way to take the center arm rest out, and put a ski hole in it, or is it possible to put the rear seats down? Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Jana
I can't comment on the factory sub wiring, but I can confirm that the factory subwoofer is located just behind the rear center armrest. You can see it in the picture below behind the convertible top pump. This picture shows the limited space behind the rear seat. There is no way to "lower" the rear seatback, as there is a rollbar mechanism between the rear seatback and trunk.

Here is a youtube video clearly showing the subwoofer area and it's access.

Last edited by Aussiesuede; 01-23-2016 at 08:10 PM.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:43 AM

2002 CLK320 W208
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede
I can't comment on the factory sub wiring, but I can confirm that the factory subwoofer is located just behind the rear center armrest. You can see it in the picture below behind the convertible top pump. This picture shows the limited space behind the rear seat. There is no way to "lower" the rear seatback, as there is a rollbar mechanism between the rear seatback and trunk.

Here is a youtube video clearly showing the subwoofer area and it's access. How to take the backseat out of a clk w208 - YouTube
Hey,

Thanks for your response, I seen the video, so even after removing the rear seats, there is no way to put a ski hole through the center arm rest because of the roll bar mechanism stuff that is there? I don't mind getting two 12" in the back but, I'm scared the SPL might screw up the hydraulic system lol.. I might get a box built inside the trunk so there would be more air space.
Old 02-13-2016, 09:01 AM

2000 CLK320 Cabrio
What you can do is throw away your stock Harmann sub as well as Bose amp and replace it with 8" Alpine R series or 10" shallow sub wired to a decent mono amp. Anything bigger will not fit. You can also step a bit further and built a glass fibre sealed sub enclosure right inside your compressor compartment. Worked for me.
Old 02-13-2016, 10:36 AM

2002 CLK320 W208
Originally Posted by OldMercsNeverDi
What you can do is throw away your stock Harmann sub as well as Bose amp and replace it with 8" Alpine R series or 10" shallow sub wired to a decent mono amp. Anything bigger will not fit. You can also step a bit further and built a glass fibre sealed sub enclosure right inside your compressor compartment. Worked for me.
Hey,

Thanks for you response, do you have any pictures of your set ups?

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2016, 02:37 PM

2000 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by jana97
Hey,

Thanks for you response, do you have any pictures of your set ups?

Thanks.
No prob. Don't have any pictures left for installation itself, it was a while ago when I did my sub. Was a lot of fun to make that enclosure the other way round. I wouldn't do it again, that's for sure
You can probably see the mesh skeleton and fibreglass body just behind the pump assy
Attached Thumbnails WIRING SUBS W208 CABRIO-dsc_0007-1-.jpg   WIRING SUBS W208 CABRIO-dsc_0240.jpg   WIRING SUBS W208 CABRIO-dsc_0241.jpg   WIRING SUBS W208 CABRIO-dsc_0244.jpg