CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Apply staggered wheel setup parameters through DAS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-16-2016, 08:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430
Apply staggered wheel setup parameters through DAS

Hi Experts,

I was having some serious bump steer issues with my current setup, and after replacing, struts, bushings, control arms, ball joints, drag links, and springs, the issue still persisted. I did also tighten the steering box bolts to 71nm, but not much effect.

So the last thing remaining were the wheels.

I have just replaced my stock wheels (225 45 17 * 7.5 ET 38) to a staggered setup of:

Front: 225 40 18 * 8.5 ET 38

Rear: 255 35 18 * 9.5 ET 39

This has eliminated the issues, but has created a new one. I am suspecting it is the speed reading which is slightly off now as well as the different sizes confusing the ABS and ESP. This also gives a bit of a wacky shifting on hills too.

I have been diving into DAS for the majority of the weekend looking for a section for specifying the wheel size parameters for the traction control, but have eventually given up with no luck.

I have been told that this only possible to program at the factory. I do not believe this to be true. Can this be done using DAS?

Thanks!

Last edited by ibbo14; 02-16-2016 at 11:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 08:54 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2002 CLK430
You might find that you chew the inside edges of those rears. I had to install cam bolts on the upper to eliminate my wear.
-J
The following users liked this post:
ibbo14 (03-06-2016)
Old 03-06-2016, 07:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 430
Hi There!

Thanks for the response and apologies for the delayed reply.

I did have that same camber issue on the rears with the original springs. As it turns out, the previous owner lowered the car "ala cheapo" by shortening the stock springs. This cause the car to sag overtime and cambers were way off. I fixed that by replacing the springs to get the car back to stock height. It raised it about an inch and a half, which allowed the new wheels to fit on. Otherwise the wheel well clearance was a bit worrisome. (I was thinking about using spacers, but apparently they are illegal in Australia.)

The new wheels did fix my bump steer issue, but the ESP is misbehaving on hard fast corners. It catches me by surprise when it tries to apply the rear breaks while turning.

The only thing I can conclude is the wheel size throwing off the ESP, even thought the differences are so small from the previous size.

Old 03-07-2016, 07:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 130 Likes on 97 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
This is a really odd issue that you have got as the setup is pretty common and is what I have, however I do not get the same problem?

Are you sure your alignment is okay?