CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

1998 CLK320 WONT START PLEASE READ!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2016, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
98' CLK320
1998 CLK320 WONT START PLEASE READ!!!!

Hello everyone my name is James. Ive owned my 98 CLK320 for ten years now. Car has been a dream and have hardly had any issues besides basic maintenance and some wear and tear. So the other day im driving the car like usual, I come back home... go to leave a hr later and the car wont start. It turns over and actually does start but just bogs out and stalls. I try again and again and same thing over and over. Ok so its dark i say screw it for the night. Next day same exact thing but this time now it wont even start and bog and stall... Instead now im getting just crank crank crank and no start. Next... I try some starting fluid in the air intake... fires right up and didnt have a problem for about 2 days. 2 days go by and once again no start in the morning when im getting ready to leave for work. I go ahead and order a fuel pump and fuel filter... Car sat for a few days while the parts were being delivered and the day i get the parts delivered i put the key in and it fires right up. I drive it down the street to a friends to do the work. We change the fuel pump and fuel filter and fire it up starts right up. I drove it home (45 seconds away) and park. I go to leave a hr later... same problem as originally ... sputters and stalls. If i try to give it gas it also stalls. Once again i try the starting fluid but this time it does not keep the car running. I know we installed the pump and filter the correct way so i cannot be the problem. Can anyone help me PLEASE??? Ive seen alot of posts about the CPS but they say it fails when engine is hot but mine wont start even cold, even if its been there overnight. I do not have any CEL on but in the past ive had it come on but go off a few hrs later or what not. Heres also another kicker.... the day this happened it POURED outside. I dont think im getting water anywhere but then again u never know i guess because it eneded up that the day it fired right up it was 75 and sunny outside ( whatever got wet dried off ) .. someone help me ask me questions if u need to i dont mind
Old 03-30-2016, 07:38 PM

Received 47 Likes on 46 Posts
LS400
No reason to ever step in and change a fuel pump out of the blue, you would first check to see if it is putting out fuel.
Sounds like either cam or crank sensor problem. Mass air sensors on these cars can cause issues too.
Cps can fail either hot or cold it really doesn't follow instructions when it fails.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:46 AM

98' CLK320
Got some codes today from auto zone

Originally Posted by exhaustgases
No reason to ever step in and change a fuel pump out of the blue, you would first check to see if it is putting out fuel.
Sounds like either cam or crank sensor problem. Mass air sensors on these cars can cause issues too.
Cps can fail either hot or cold it really doesn't follow instructions when it fails.
Old 03-31-2016, 01:51 AM

98' CLK320
Don't mind the "lexus" .. it was human error.. and yes I know sometimes I overreact and impluse .. like buying the fuel pump

Old 03-31-2016, 01:57 AM

98' CLK320
It also started today ... I didn't try in the morning but when i got off work around 6 pm it started and it was 65 degrees and dry today. It is raining now and will be most the day tomorrow so I'm going to try again in the morning and through out the day and see what happens. Let me know what u think of those codes that I got in which would cause a no start or intermittent start (buy every other day or so)

Old 03-31-2016, 02:00 AM

98' CLK320
This was also a random incident like I said in the original post. I was doing normal driving and one day I came home went to leave a hr later and this initial problem occurred. So I would rule out like vacuum leaks or at least I would think so
Old 03-31-2016, 05:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 132 Likes on 98 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Does the car just crank and crank and not start?

Have you checked the fuel pump relay, its in the back near spare wheel, sometimes the contacts get dirty and stops the fuel pump from operating.
To check if the relay is engaging, turn the key so all your dash lights are on, then stick your ear near the pump and see if you can hear it whiring, if not then find the relay, take the small black cover off with a screwdriver and clean the relay contact pads.
Old 03-31-2016, 09:18 AM

98' CLK320
I'm going to check that out in a little bit actually. And yes when is acting up that's what it was doing. It also started and idled rough bogged and stalled. Yesterday it acted fine I was able to start it and drove for few hrs. I've yet tried to start it today
Originally Posted by A1EK
Does the car just crank and crank and not start?

Have you checked the fuel pump relay, its in the back near spare wheel, sometimes the contacts get dirty and stops the fuel pump from operating.
To check if the relay is engaging, turn the key so all your dash lights are on, then stick your ear near the pump and see if you can hear it whiring, if not then find the relay, take the small black cover off with a screwdriver and clean the relay contact pads.
Old 03-31-2016, 06:15 PM

98' CLK320
I drove it around today had it running for a few hrs. .. came in went to leave again few hrs later and this is what it does.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
See included thumbnails for troubleshooting fault codes P0100 and P0301.
Attached Thumbnails 1998 CLK320 WONT START PLEASE READ!!!!-p0100.jpg   1998 CLK320 WONT START PLEASE READ!!!!-p0301.jpg