CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

key fob recognized but won't turn

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
key fob recognized but won't turn

I decided to get my 2001 CLK430 out of storage for the first sunny day of Spring only to find a LEAK in the warehouse roof dripped perfectly into my sunroof, splashing inside but not flooding the car and filling it with mold.

CRAP !

I put in a fresh battery, started it up fine and took it out for four hours of scrubbing in the sunshine. Started it again, drove it a mile or two and then parked it with all doors, bonnet, hood and windows open. Went back at dusk to close everything up and the KEY WON'T TURN.

Checked battery voltage - 12.6v = OK
Checked steering wheel - unlocks electrically, turns freely when fob is inserted = OK
Dashboard Powers up with insertion of fob = OK
Cabin light comes on when fob is inserted = OK
Checked brake switch = OK

The key seems to be recognized by the EIS because it unlocks the wheel and lights up console, the key fob just won't turn!

I'm starting to worry that it might be the EIS

Any ideas or suggestions are GREATLY appreciated

Last edited by JohnGilday; 03-30-2016 at 09:25 PM. Reason: update troubleshooting
Old 03-30-2016, 11:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2011 E63, 2011 Audi A4, 2017 Audi Q7
Your key fob is dying. Happened to me too. I even changed out the battery in the fob, no response. The key would be accepted by the car, but it wouldn't turn.