CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

21 clk320 convertible top issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk320
21 clk320 convertible top issue

HI GANG
OUR 2001 CLK 320 CONVERT TOP IS NOT WORKING PROPERLY
When trying to put the top UP, the cover that the top goes under flips up OKAY as it is supposed to, - the rear window part of the top folds up as it is supposed to BUT the roof only angles upward slightly from closed and then stops and will go NO further - I can hear a whining noise like a pump is running but that is all??????????????
- From this position it will go down / close but it kind of slams down instead of slow and smoothly.

I checked fuses that is okay and no indicator lights on the dash,etc are flashing or coming on.
HELP / IDEAS PLEASE!!!

Last edited by mtnbowhunter; 06-04-2016 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-04-2016, 11:47 PM

2000 CLK 430 Cabrio
Sounds like it could be the cables that hold the front part of the top (where it meets the windshield) up. They can snap off, they did on my 2000 CLK430. Pardon me for linking to another forum, but here's a fairly easy fix if that is the issue.

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/c208...fixed-1-a.html

You can see the cables if you pull the headliner down a little bit right above each door. Gently pull it, if it's not connected at both ends then that's your issue.

I haven't fixed mine yet, I just hold the roof up slightly right before it goes, the motor just can't open that first hinge. After that it runs fine. I also catch it as it comes down.
Old 06-05-2016, 11:22 AM

clk320
Thanks for the info and link
I checked my cables and the pass side cable has had the lead cable end at the rear come off. I should be able to repair/fix that

is this the same sort of issue that happened to yours and you were still able to use it by lifting up on the convert top front when putting the top down????
Old 06-07-2016, 11:44 AM

2000 CLK 430 Cabrio
Yes, I just wait for the rear bow to start going down after the compartment opens, and then I hold the front up with my other hand while holding the switch down. You just need the hinge to be open when the top starts going. Once it starts moving you can let go. Then I just catch it when I'm closing the top so it doesn't slam against the windshield. Once you fix it, it's a good idea to catch it when it comes down anyway, that force it what breaks them I believe.