CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Different convertible top issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2016, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 430 CLK
Question Different convertible top issue

I have a 2003 CLK 430. I have replaced the bow lock and case cylinders in the past year and refilled the hydraulic fluid, and the car top has been working great I had old bubbled tint on the back window, and so I cut the car on, raised the convertible top part-way and was pulling tint off with the car running. When I raised the top, the case cover unlatched but not start to rise.

Eventually the top fell, so I cut the car off and restarted it. I can no longer operate the top at all. Did I mess something up with the hydraulics by having the cycle not complete? Do I need to lock the case cover again, to "reset" the cycle? If so, how do I do that?

Thanks!
Old 07-03-2016, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 175 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Interruption of the soft top operation via the main switch usually should not present a problem.

However, it sounds like an expected position of one of the limit/position switches, which are evaluated by the controller for each movement sequence of the soft top, is out of kilter

If so, they can be re-synchronized by manually opening and closing the soft top.

The procedure to do this is, covered in detail, in your owners manual.
The following users liked this post:
Jennette (07-03-2016)
Old 07-03-2016, 02:31 PM

2003 430 CLK
Ok. I did a manual close it, and screwed that screw back in thats in that cone thingie in the trunk that closes the hydraulic pressure. I didnt try to open it or close it because rain was threatening and I don't have a garage.

This morning it will not work, with the screw screwed or unscrewed.

I did not cycle through an entire manual open and close though. I will try doing both fully later today. Thanks for the help!!
Old 07-03-2016, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 196 Likes on 175 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
I suspect that after you paused the power roof, to remove the bubbled window tint, there was subsequent manual movement of the roof section, that erroneously tripped the soft top fabric bow up/down limit switch (S84/15) or soft compartment cover open switch (S84/5).

By fully opening and closing the roof manually, should reset / restore the required switch settings and synchronization to the controller..

When operating the roof manually, it is necessary to reduce hydraulic system pressure, by turning the pressure relief screw 2 turns counterclockwise. Don't forget to turn it back, to its full clockwise position, to operate the power roof.
Old 07-03-2016, 06:16 PM

2003 430 CLK
Thanks for the correct terminology too! I have just started doing my own car repairs at age 52, and as a woman, I have never learned a lot of the right Vocabulary.

Ok - off to try a complete manual cycle!
Old 07-03-2016, 06:32 PM

2003 430 CLK
Yay! It works!!

Now, on to that stupid BAS/EPS brake switch thing again!