CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rust!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 04:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 SL500, 2007 R350 Sport
Rust!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi all,

My 1999 CLK has rust along the leading edges of both rear wheel arches and has only done 23,000 miles. MB refused to fix under their so-called 30-year warranty saying it was stone damage despte the fact it's obviously coming inside out. And did they think I fn reversed for 23,000 miles? Jeez was I angry. So after many phone-calls, letters, threats they eventually backed down and repaired it as well as replacing the boot as rust around the lock appears to be common-place! They warned me at the time they may have to replace both rear-quarters if they couldn't catch the rust so after 4 months it's re-appeared. I've now waited 6 weeks for MB to get back to me and I have to do all the phoning. I'm absolutely appalled at the way I've been treated by MB and the fact I've just ordered an SL doesn't make a blind bit of difference.

I live just outside Glasgow and was wondering if anyone else has had rust and/or dealt with Vardy body shop?

By the way, reason I'm getting the SL is because the new CLK looks crap. If they hadn't changed it by so much I'd have probably bought a new one. Can't see how I can afford to keep it and I'll be so sorry to see it go. Tried to attach a photo but there's a 1byte maximum?!! How do you attach a photo?

Kept my rant to a minumum 'cos if I'd started...........!
Old 03-11-2004, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Scotsman, you are so right the new CLK looks like ****E! If you look too fast it looks like a honda accord. Way to go MB. You really screwed the pooch on this one. Good luck with the rust, I had a similar problem at 2k with the door sills. The replaced them and no problem as of yet. Good luck with MB, they are horrible when it comes to service..

Old 03-14-2004, 10:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E350
So how long and what did they say they cover under this rust warranty. That's pretty sad that a company like MB would have to be chased around to follow through.
Old 03-15-2004, 03:48 AM

2004 SL500, 2007 R350 Sport
First noticed the rust last June maybe. MB refused at first giving no explanation, same this time. They then said it was stone chips (which it isn't) so wasn't covered by their 30-year guarantee. Maybe it's standard practice to refuse first time, I don't know. I was ( and am) absolutely livid with MB. I wrote to them but they just replied that they'd reconsidered it but still weren't fixing it. Phoned them again, threatening all sorts so they said take it back in and we'll have another look- lo and behold, they said it wasn't stone chips! So now that they didn't fix it properly, they're refusing but I don't know why. Unbelievable, isn't it?

Just told them I'm cancelling my SL order unless they fix it.
It's like talking to a brick wall - driving me nuts.