CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Aftermarket Rims...problems???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aftermarket Rims...problems???

Hey Guys,

I'm having a few problems with my CLK430.

I have 18'' Lorinser LM-5's and H&R Sport Springs. My car is making a weird noise coming form the back. It's like a deep "whooing" noise that gets louder with speed. Not sure if it's the rear wheel bearings or maybe the tires? (yokohama avs, but i doubt that can be it)

Plus my front wheel bearings are shot, My differential was leaking (had it fixed), plus that noise.

Can my rims/springs be putting too much stress on the car and causing these problems?

My warranty is up on my car, and I only have 31K on the car.

Can you guys help me?

** PS **
For those that PMed me about the AMG cluster, I'll get back to you all. I just never checked my PM's.

Thanks,
Mark
Old 03-12-2004, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W213 '17 E43 ///AMG - W211, W208 no more
Re: Aftermarket Rims...problems???

Originally posted by Mark D.
Hey Guys,

I'm having a few problems with my CLK430.

I have 18'' Lorinser LM-5's and H&R Sport Springs. My car is making a weird noise coming form the back. It's like a deep "whooing" noise that gets louder with speed. Not sure if it's the rear wheel bearings or maybe the tires? (yokohama avs, but i doubt that can be it)

Plus my front wheel bearings are shot, My differential was leaking (had it fixed), plus that noise.

Can my rims/springs be putting too much stress on the car and causing these problems?

My warranty is up on my car, and I only have 31K on the car.

Can you guys help me?

** PS **
For those that PMed me about the AMG cluster, I'll get back to you all. I just never checked my PM's.

Thanks,
Mark
I know what the problem is...

STOP DRIVING YOUR CAR... AND REMOVE THE WHEELS...
Old 03-12-2004, 01:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: Aftermarket Rims...problems???

Originally posted by mmgrad
I know what the problem is...

STOP DRIVING YOUR CAR... AND REMOVE THE WHEELS...
then, after you do that... take a look at your bolts in the rear... you'll notice some marks on there...

your bolts are basically too long, and is hitting the parking brakes... you need to cut/file them down... how much to cut depends on how much is hitting...

but, you don't want to keep driving it like that... it will cost you about $600 to fix the parking brakes...
Old 03-12-2004, 02:57 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
Re: Re: Re: Aftermarket Rims...problems???

Originally posted by mmgrad
then, after you do that... take a look at your bolts in the rear... you'll notice some marks on there...

your bolts are basically too long, and is hitting the parking brakes... you need to cut/file them down... how much to cut depends on how much is hitting...

but, you don't want to keep driving it like that... it will cost you about $600 to fix the parking brakes...
Unless he just installed the rims, I doubt this is the problem. Plus, that would be more of a loud "knocking" sound as opposed to a "whooing" sound. It could just be the tires. I'm not sure about Yokohama's but the Kumho Ecsta's I used to have made a hell of a lot of noise before.
Old 03-12-2004, 10:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Aftermarket Rims...problems???

Originally posted by Samoan_Ridah
Unless he just installed the rims, I doubt this is the problem. Plus, that would be more of a loud "knocking" sound as opposed to a "whooing" sound. It could just be the tires. I'm not sure about Yokohama's but the Kumho Ecsta's I used to have made a hell of a lot of noise before.
a knocking sound would occur if the bolts are way long... but if the bolts are just slightly longer (about 1mm) it will scratch against the parking brakes, which will emit a whooshing/scratching sound...

I have Yoko AVS on my CLK, and I don't notice any loud noises due to the tire... I know the Yoko ES100 tires are extremely loud...
Old 03-12-2004, 03:00 PM

05 g35 & 04 cl 500
It could be that the tires have worn unevenly. It happened to me on my car and when they rotated them and it wore down to the point where all the tires are evenly worn, the noise subsided. This all occured because someone put to much air in one of the tires and i did not notice. ( i have pirelli p7000 supersports and this is the first time i've had a problem with them.)
Old 03-12-2004, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

01' CLK55
Originally posted by leggs
It could be that the tires have worn unevenly. It happened to me on my car and when they rotated them and it wore down to the point where all the tires are evenly worn, the noise subsided. This all occured because someone put to much air in one of the tires and i did not notice. ( i have pirelli p7000 supersports and this is the first time i've had a problem with them.)
P7000's are known to be loud as hell.
Old 03-12-2004, 07:20 PM

05 g35 & 04 cl 500
Understood, but it is the whooping sound that i am referring to. The tires wore unevenly and it caused a problem similiar to the one mentioned in this thread. I put it out there as a suggestion as to what maybe wrong.
Old 03-13-2004, 01:58 AM

Thanks for the help!

I dont think its the bolts becuase I've had the rims for almost 20K and not a problem until now. I've just put the new tires maybe 6K-7K ago.

It still doesn't explain the wheel barings being so worn out.

There only 18'' (not that big). And its an aftermarker company specifically designed for MB's.

Its very frustrating though....I just don't get it.

It's also the first time I drove the car in the winter (not snow, but very cold weather). Could that be an issue?
Old 03-13-2004, 03:04 AM

hmm... cold weather. maybe your tire is rubbing because the cold temp cause more tire presure. and faster you go the more presure you will have in your tire. my hypothesist maybe be correct.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
Wheel bearings are cheap, just replace them and see if that thakes care of the noise.
Old 03-14-2004, 04:27 AM

'05 E55
Can you hear the sound constantly or does it diminish after awhile?

Some tires develop flat spots after sitting for awhile. Especially when cold, it takes a while for the tires to heat up and become round again. If you hear the sound initally after taking the car out of the garage or parked overnight and it goes away or becomes less noticable, this could be one cause.
Old 03-15-2004, 11:46 AM

The sound is constant, you don't hear it at low speeds. Once you get over 50+, the faster I go the louder it gets.

I'm changing the wheel bearings this week and re-aligning the wheels.

Hopefully that should work.
Old 03-17-2004, 08:16 PM

05 sl600, 06 CLS55 AMG, 1971 Cuda
I have the 19" Lorinser LM5 with Dunlop SP Sport 9000, and I have no problems with anynoise.