CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Windshield Wiper Fluid/Washer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
Windshield Wiper Fluid/Washer

Just bought a new bottle of windshield wiper fluid for my 2000 CLK 320 and filled it up until the fill up line. Tried to use it but no fluid is coming out while wiping with the wipers. I've tried pushing in the button of where it indicates the windshield wiper fluid where the turn signals are at but nothing works. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Old 08-19-2016, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
Does the pump make noise? If there's no noise from the pump, it may be electrical. In that case, I'd start with the fuse (which may end up showing that the washer fluid pump has a short). If the pump is bad . . . . . . well, we'll get to that further down.

If there is noise from the pump, although it may still be electrical, I'd see if the headlamp washers work. If your car doesn't have headlamp washers, then I recommend removing the hose at the pump and seeing if pressing the washer switch results in fluid spraying everywhere and making a mess. If it makes a huge mess, you shouldn't have pressed the button so long or made plans to catch the fluid. If there's no mess, the pump may be junk or the pickup may be clogged.

Now let me give you the bad news about the bad pump; it costs all of $20. No, not at the dealer. The dealer want's at least $60. But cheapskates like you and me can get it at Autohaus AZ for $20. Yes, an OEM pump for 1/3rd the dealer rate.

If there is a mess, I'd guess the line is clogged. Since I think the most likely suspect is the washer nozzle, pull the hose there and hit the pump button. I recommend putting the host in a container to catch the fluid, but if you didn't learn this from the first mess . . . . . . .

If the fluid sprays from the nozzle-less hose, I may have some bad news for you. Those nozzles cost $50 per side and that's the discount price. Who knows what the dealer wants? And yes, there is a left and right specific part. Had they made a universal and one nozzle fits either side, the price would have been much less. Of course the spray pattern would have been garbage and it wouldn't be fit for "the best or nothing" status, but they'd be cheap. Before dropping $50 per side, I recommend ensuring the nozzles aren't clogged with wax residue. And the fuse that triggers the nozzles isn't blown, because what are the odds of BOTH $50 nozzles dying at the same time.

If fluid doesn't spray from your nozzle-less lines, the problem may be a clog in the line between the pump and the nozzle.

If you need any other endless drivel about washer diagnostics, I'll be performing here all week. Don't forget to tip your hostess. They don't get paid much.
The following users liked this post:
ztahokie (08-29-2016)