CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Vibration stopping at lights

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320
Vibration stopping at lights

I noticed that my CLK320 had increased vibration at the dashboard, door and etc. when stopped at lights in D. The vibration stopped when I shifted to N or P.

Originally less severe vibration occurs in D and S mode, D and W mode was fine, and I thought it was to do with the S mode. However now both S and W modes sometimes occur the same vibration when stopped. Over the period of a couple of months, the vibration was getting increasingly noticeable and uncomfortable. However this issue sometimes disappear (for a particular drive without turning off the engine) all together even in D, which left me scratching my head... (may be to do with warm up? But I drive in HK where it is quite warm!)

I wonder whether this problem is to do with engine/transmission mounts, flex disc or the gearbox?

The car has no noticeable vibration once get moving or at any higher speed, shifts extremely smoothly other than from 1st to 2nd. From reading posts, it seems my problem is about the engine mounts, but if thats the case I don't understand how it can sometimes disappear...

Grateful if any of you can give me some ideas. Thanks!

Last edited by pcandyhk; 10-27-2016 at 11:50 AM.
Old 10-27-2016, 02:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 64 Posts
2002 CLK430
Sounds like the motor mounts. Those are normal wear parts and more obvious when the car is stopped and in drive or reverse (very low RPM and under a load).

Flex disc wear in noticeable when the car is in motion.