CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Pass Low Beam Issue 2002 CLK 430

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 01:35 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
02' CLK 430
Pass Low Beam Issue 2002 CLK 430

I've developed a strange issue with respect to my passenger side HID low beams. It simply does not work. Now I've checked the fuses. All were fine. The brights, city lights, fogs, side markers, tails and brake lights all work fine, as do all interior lamps.....but no passenger side low beams?

I checked the bulbs and ballasts and they seem fine when switched to the other side. It just seems as though I'm not getting any power to the passenger low beam.

I noticed the headlight plug on that side was finicky so I decided to re-wire the plug and still nothing. Like I said all the other lights work fine except the low beam HID.

Anyone provide any advice? Does this sound like a bad SAM? Or would that cause more issues than just the one single low beam light?

Thanks as always for your knowledge.

KRis
Old 04-05-2017, 02:25 PM

02' CLK 430
Anyone? Problem still persists...
Old 04-05-2017, 05:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Your profile is incomplete (i.e. location), so I'm going to assume, that by passenger side, you meant that your right side low beam does not illuminate.

Note: Each headlamp side is fused separately (e.g. the right by F6 and the left by F8).

I would begin by doing a preliminary check for voltage at illumination control module (N7-1) as follows.

Remove fuse (N7-1 F6) and check voltage for 11 - 14 volts, with the low beam switch turned on.
Note: with the fuse removed, only one side of the fuse socket, sourced by the N7-1 controller, will indicate the voltage.
If the voltage is not present, suspect a faulty N7-1 controller or associated wiring/connections.

You can also do another test at this time, which will test for downstream component and or wiring faults. It's more complicated, requiring knowledge of how to measure both voltage and current.

With fuse (N7-1 F6) removed, connect the multi-meters to measure voltage and amperage. Then observe multi-meter amps reading when switching on low beam. A high brief amp flow is noted only when first switching on the Xenon headlamp, so using an inductive pickup to measure the current would be best. After approx. 30 seconds measure voltage (V) and amps (I), then calculate wattage (P). P = V x I and should be 40±5 Watts. If the wattage is < 35W or > 45W, suspect a faulty Xenon headlamp control module (E2n1), Xenon headlamp ignition module (E2n2) or associated wiring (e.g. open or shorted).

BTW, whenever checking fuses, in addition to looking at the slight glass, it's best to pull the fuse and check the contacts for corrosion, due to dissimulator metals and/or passing very high currents.

I've also enclosed several thumbnails below, with further details of operation, component locations etc..
Attached Thumbnails Pass Low Beam Issue 2002 CLK 430-x1.jpg   Pass Low Beam Issue 2002 CLK 430-x2.jpg   Pass Low Beam Issue 2002 CLK 430-x3.jpg   Pass Low Beam Issue 2002 CLK 430-x4.jpg  

Last edited by Serndipity; 04-05-2017 at 05:49 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:52 PM

02' CLK 430
Thanks Serndipity!

One thing I forgot to mention is I have aftermarket Halo projectors with an aftermarket HID kit. The facotry ballasts, bulbs and ignitors have been replaced .

Would this throw out some of the potential failures? Leads me to believe it is the SAM module...
Old 01-14-2019, 10:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 320
It turns out the reason my passenger low beam went out is a Mouse. Nice little nest back behind the engine where the harness tucks in leading to the controller.
Peppermint oil spray, a direct yellow wire of same gauge from start of harness to the controller and done.