CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Check engine light?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 12:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Check engine light?

I was making a hard turn today when suddenly my "Check Engine" light went on. It's not flashing, and the car is driving normally. It's a MY2000 CLK 320 coupe. I've restarted >3 times since and the light still stays on. I haven't filled up in 2 days so I don't think it's related to overfilling or something like that. I readjusted the gas cap and it seems tight (never had a problem with the gas cap in the past).

Any thoughts? It seems that many people have had this problem and it's often the O2 sensors?

I guess I will have to bring it in. I have a feeling that it will cost me an arm and a leg to diagnose the problem and in the end, the dealership will tell me that there is a faulty sensor or something like that. The warranty expired in December

Last edited by A.Emgee; 04-11-2004 at 12:53 AM.
Old 04-11-2004, 01:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
It could be the O2 sensors, it could be the gas cap (it takes a little while to reset itself if it is, indeed the gas cap), it could be the mass air meter or any other number of things. You'll definitely have to have the code pulled to know for sure. Find out how much the dealership will charge you to diagnose the problem before you leave it there. You don't need to take it to the dealer to get the code pulled. Anyone with a Snap-On diagnostic tool can get the code and see what the problem is and if the dealer wants an arm and a leg, just take it to an independent mechanic.
Old 04-12-2004, 07:12 PM

Originally posted by Josh K
It could be the O2 sensors, it could be the gas cap (it takes a little while to reset itself if it is, indeed the gas cap), it could be the mass air meter or any other number of things. You'll definitely have to have the code pulled to know for sure. Find out how much the dealership will charge you to diagnose the problem before you leave it there. You don't need to take it to the dealer to get the code pulled. Anyone with a Snap-On diagnostic tool can get the code and see what the problem is and if the dealer wants an arm and a leg, just take it to an independent mechanic.
Thanks for your reply. I fiddled with the gas cap and turned it really tight... and lo and behold, today the light went off! I hope I never see that light again...
Old 04-14-2004, 11:40 PM

DAMN IT... Check Engine light went back on again. Fiddled with gas cap and light turned off after another day's worth of driving.

I couldn't stand it and had to get a diagnostic. Results:

CODE031: P0173 left cylinder mixture adaptation reaches limit value

CODE032: P0170 right cylinder mixture adaptation reaches limit value

Any ideas? A search on the forum indicates that this most likely represents the need for a MAS replacement, and then a trip to the dealer to reset so that the Check Engine Light does not come on again. The search also reveals that many MBs after warranty have this problem!

Last edited by A.Emgee; 04-15-2004 at 08:40 PM.
Old 04-30-2004, 08:51 PM

Just an update on this.

MAS was replaced by the dealer under 5 year emissions warranty. Check engine light hopefully will not come on again!
Old 05-01-2004, 11:38 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally posted by Josh K
how long should it take to reset the 'Check Engine' light if it has come on due to the gas cap not being on? I left mine off two days ago, and got the little flashing gas light, and the Check Engine light. I reinstalled the cap, and the gas light is off, but the Check Engine light stayed on.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:59 PM
Almost a Member!

1999 E320 / 1988 BMW 635Csi / 1987 Porsche 911 TL Cab Triple Black
Originally Posted by A.Emgee
Just an update on this.

MAS was replaced by the dealer under 5 year emissions warranty. Check engine light hopefully will not come on again!
what year is your car and there is 5 yrs warranty on the MAS ?
Old 12-27-2004, 01:15 PM

1995 SL 320
Mercedes warranty

My SL manual says that it came with a 4 yr 50,000 mile warranty.Are there quaility warranties available that cover Mercedes after that period for a reasonable price? I have seen some aftermarket policies that range from $2000 to $3500 per year,but most have terrible records on payments.If anyone knows please post it here.
Old 12-28-2004, 04:11 PM
Almost a Member!

SRT-8
re

Same exact symtoms happen with me, it was maf ,cost me $350.00..