CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Aftermarket Navigation Systems on Your CLKs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2002, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aftermarket Navigation Systems on Your CLKs

I am interested in getting an aftermarket navigation system installed in my CLK. From what I understand, retrofitting a COMAND system is a bit difficult, and integrating into the existing system isn't a big priority for me.

However I've been reading thru messages and see people recommending Alpine and Pioneer systems.

For those of you with these systems, what are your experiences with them?

Anyone in the NY/NJ area have it done, and so by who? Was it a clean install?

Do these NAV systems tell you which way to go or do you have to keep looking at the screen?

Someone mentioned the new Pioneer system can, using a CUE, get traffic information and inform you of faster alternate routes. Can someone confirm this?

I've seen people mention the Pioneer AVIC-7300 + AVIC-9DVD Navigation. Is this the one with the screen that folds out of the console and up? If so how much would this combo cost about?

Thanks all,

Safet
Old 04-07-2002, 05:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
I've got the pioneer setup you mentioned. It's pretty cool. Yes it does support CUE. You get 1 free year of the CUE service with your purchase of the AVIC-9DVD. But you need to purchase the CUE module which is about $250 if you want this feature.

The pioneer is very good. I don't have any major complaints about it's accuracy, guidance, etc. It uses audio and visuals to tell you when to take the next right/left.

Yes, the AVIC-73000 does fold out. Let me warn you that when it folds out, the it covers the climate control DIN (assuming you put the radio in the bottom DIN and the AVIC-73000 above it).

I believe that the Alpine unit also folds out in a similar fashion.

The Pioneer setup of AVIC-73000 + AVIC-9DVD will run you anywhere from $3.1K - $3.5K for everything including installation.

My particular install was very clean. I could remove the system without anyone being able to tell that I had it.
Old 04-07-2002, 07:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Shah,

So how many dins are used up, 1 or 2? Are both the nav unit and foldout screen as one, or can you put the nav unit somewhere like in the glove compartment and just have the foldout unit using 1 din?

Safet
Old 04-07-2002, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
The bottom DIN has the stock radio head unit and the top DIN has the fold out screen, AVIC-73000. The AVIC-9DVD is mounted in my trunk. It is possible to mount it inside the glove compartment box, but since I wanted a "clean install" I chose the trunk. If you mount it in the glove box, you'll have to cut up the inside of the glove box a bit to secure the mounts and run the cables.

Check out the picture thread for this forum and you can see how mine looks.