CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

208 clk roof problem....yes another

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2017, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
When opening the roof (e.g. stages 8 through 11), your lift cylinders were not getting sufficient pressure (e.g. likely on the piston side, in order to retract the rod). You found cylinder leakage and replaced both lift cylinders, but the problem persisted.

Additional trouble shooting efforts, confirmed that the S84/15 was operational, inspection the case cover and rear bow lock cylinders showed no leakage, no kinked or pinched hydraulic lines etc.

If the hydraulic pump does not operate, it's usually an electrical issue and if the pump runs, it's usually a hydraulic issue.....but not always.

Read this thread https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...002-fault.html

Same issue (e.g. stage 8 through 11 roof closing). After some trouble shooting, including S84/15 replacement, the remedy was just restoring full system pressure by turning back the pressure relief screw. GatorMB suggested doing this in post #2 and I, in post #12. I believe you said that you never reduced the system pressure, as normally recommended, when you replaced the lift cylinders or when opening/closing the roof manually to resync the limit switches, but did you check?

Otherwise, you did a very admiral effort troubleshooting at this time, leaving just the pump valve block, to further troubleshoot (e.g. are the solenoids properly opening/closing the hydraulic internal gates). Klaus is to go to person on this. You might ask him to read this thread, to get his thoughts.

Last edited by Serndipity; 06-19-2017 at 08:32 PM.
The following users liked this post:
cqae (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 02:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
n/a
ok so I just checked the relief screw just in case, but was 99% sure I did this earlier but wanted to do it again just in case. I feel we have a pump/valve block issue as I have pretty much checked everything else. I also was thinking the roof wouldnt attempt to lift like it does if a switch was saying it was not in the correct situation.....

regardless just deciding if we want to spend that much money, regardless I'll keep you posted.

Thanks so much Gator & Serndipity for your time & help, its been invaluable.......are there any pics you would like taken while this is apart?....be more than happy to

I'll decide whats happening in the next few days & let you guys know!
GatorMB (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 98 Likes on 88 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG cabriolet Eurocharged
I am sure it is developed like a scaled down transmission valve body. We used to de varnish them and polish all minute surfaces.
If the valves in the valve body of the pump assembly have teflon or rubber o-rings you might be able to reseal the valves and move on to the next troublesome project these cars get with age.
Post what you find will be generous to the forums.

Gator
cqae (06-20-2017)
Old 08-07-2017, 06:46 PM

2005 CLK500
CLK 500 soft top diagnosis

Can anyone please tell me where I can find service information for the soft top operation on a CLK 500, 2005. I have a leak in my system, but I can find no service information.

Thanks in advance,

Starchaser
Old 08-07-2017, 07:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
You posted in the W208 forum, which covers CLK cabriolets though MY 2003.

You should find help for your 2005 CLK 500 in the W209 forum.

The power roof / roll bar systems are very different.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:22 PM

n/a
OK guys, there was a bit of a delay in sorting this one out but I wanted to close this off. We got a pump from Klaus at Top Hydraulics & the issue was resolved. Not sure if I mentioned it, but the bow case latch also started to leak during our testing so that's been replaced too.

I want to thanks you guys for your help, Gator & Serendipity you guys have taken the time to help me with my issue & it was invaluable & I appreciate it so much!

And also Klaus who sent me heaps of emails full of advice & help. I could not recommend Top Hydraulics enough if you need parts for your Benz roof! Klaus is a good guy that was helpful & fair through every step of the way!

SO this one is all done, thanks again for everyone's help!
Old 10-06-2017, 05:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320 Convertible
Another problem with the roof w208 1999 CLK 320

Hi All,
I tried to fix my roof as per Klaus' instructions (thank you Klaus for your patience and suggestions!) checked the wiring in all the locks, found some kinks, but no breaks. The car was serviced by local mechanic who replaced the hydraulics, but the roof still does not open.

Here is the video of the malfunction - any suggestions?

Any suggestions are very appreciated.
Attached Files
File Type: mov
Video.MOV (1.40 MB, 78 views)
Old 10-06-2017, 06:46 PM

n/a
Originally Posted by newoldclk208
Hi All,
I tried to fix my roof as per Klaus' instructions (thank you Klaus for your patience and suggestions!) checked the wiring in all the locks, found some kinks, but no breaks. The car was serviced by local mechanic who replaced the hydraulics, but the roof still does not open.

Here is the video of the malfunction - any suggestions?

Any suggestions are very appreciated.
What codes are being stored?
Old 10-06-2017, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Hi newoldclk208......welcome to the W208/A208 forum.

I'm glad you posted the video, as pictures are worth more than thousands of words.

At this time, when opening the power roof, your rear bow unlocks/opens, followed by the soft top cover unlocking/opening, all normally. But after the rear bow lowers, there is a upward bounce (?) and the power roof operation creases to operate. .

As as original owner of my 2001 cabriolet, I'm pretty familiar with the complexities of the CLK power roof operation and believe that I can help you.

First of all, I'm not sure why you expected Klaus (i.e. Top Hydraulics) to resolve your issue (e.g. where history shows their hydraulic rebuild services have been nothing but impeccable) vs. your local mechanic services?

Next, as a newbie, please fill out you full profile before asking for help. For example, there were numerous production upgrades made to the power roof system, between 1998 and 2003, where components are not compatible.

What were the original power roof operation issues?

What were the power roof components that your mechanic replaced?

What is the model year of your CLK?

What were the initial MB SDS fault diagnosis fault codes (disregarding cheap-ism) ?

More importantly, what were he specific additional troubleshooting steps (e.g. hydraulic and/or electrical) that ensued thereafter?

At this time, some initial thoughts would be........

Make sure all of the roof's frame joints are opening up after you unlock the front bow (see post #7 above).

Re-synchronize all of the limit switches, as described in the 'practical hints' section of your owner's manual (e.g. after a power roof repair, these switches may be out of killer and often need to be reset, which is done by manually opening/closing the roof ).

If not, advise further.

Last edited by Serndipity; 10-07-2017 at 08:55 AM.
Old 10-10-2017, 08:22 AM

2000 clk320

Last edited by collingwood; 10-10-2017 at 09:01 AM. Reason: delete
Old 10-10-2017, 08:48 AM

2000 clk320

Last edited by collingwood; 10-10-2017 at 09:01 AM. Reason: delete