CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

new to us clk320 have ?'s

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99clk 320, 72 250
new to us clk320 have ?'s

hi all thanks ahead of time for the help
new to Mercedes and just this summer we have bought a 72 250 and just yesterday we picked up a 99 cl320 with some issues i hope i can handle car has 125,000 miles on it.... so here it goes

1. car has a 40-60 mph vibration. PO said it had a weight fall off driveshaft according to his mechanic. how true can this be. and what could the fix be?

2. when car is idling is seems to have a vibration in steering wheel like maybe a broken motor mount. I did see something about a Mercedes recall on Harmonic balancer, possible problem?

3.the esp/abs light is on. please give me an idea where to start with this. esp switch on center console seemed to not work at the moment i assume because light is on.

4.the controls beside the seat dont seem to work what are these for anyway?

5.headlight washer covers are gone, seen them searching evilbay are these easy to replace.

6. hvac controls, when on defrost it seems the fan has no power, our a/c is not working and owner stated it was full of freon, he said his mechanic was looking around at it underhood messed with some wires and it started working now nothing.

7. smell burning oil after driving for a while, is there a common leak with these motors?

well that is enough to drive you all nuts for now, wife really like this and i hope some of this will be easy fixes for me.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:39 AM

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts
'97 S500 Coupe, 2016 AMG S63 Coupe, 2007 Audi Q7
Welcome to the Mercedes and the W208 Family!!

For your questions
1. Vibration at speed I would check wheel/tire balance first, unsure of a weight falling off a drive shaft....
2. Replace motor moint common issue, the harmonic balancer is with the M272 350 motor not the M112 320 engine.
3. Start with the brake switch, common failure easy diy job
4. Unsure of what controls you are referencing, are you talking about the controls on the door?
5. You can search eBay or buy original from various parts vendors
6. Could be blower regulator a common failure or blown fuse. Regulator and mower are an easy diy job.
7. Oil leaks are common for the air breather area and valve cover gaskets. A little messy but a pretty straightforward diy.
A good starting point is the W208 How to section, or use a search from your favorite search engine and you will loads of information and videos.
https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...208-how-s.html

Good luck!!
Old 05-22-2017, 08:47 AM

99clk 320, 72 250
Thanks!!!

Good start for me and I appreciate the answers.
I actually solved a couple other SEARCHING around before I posted that. We had water pouring Into floor board yesterday during a down pour.

Definitely will check balance was just curious if there was a common issues with rear end or bearings.

Between the seat and center console there is a thing sticking up with switches to move around and adjust cushion pressure I think I read in manual???

Again thank you very much for the help
Old 05-22-2017, 08:49 AM

99clk 320, 72 250
Here's a picture

Old 05-23-2017, 03:04 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
-
Originally Posted by russell7088
1. car has a 40-60 mph vibration. PO said it had a weight fall off driveshaft according to his mechanic. how true can this be. and what could the fix be?
2. when car is idling is seems to have a vibration in steering wheel like maybe a broken motor mount. I did see something about a Mercedes recall on Harmonic balancer, possible problem?
3.the esp/abs light is on. please give me an idea where to start with this. esp switch on center console seemed to not work at the moment i assume because light is on.
4.the controls beside the seat dont seem to work what are these for anyway?
5.headlight washer covers are gone, seen them searching evilbay are these easy to replace.
6. hvac controls, when on defrost it seems the fan has no power, our a/c is not working and owner stated it was full of freon, he said his mechanic was looking around at it underhood messed with some wires and it started working now nothing.
7. smell burning oil after driving for a while, is there a common leak with these motors?
Nice car It could use a polish.

1. +1 on wheels/tires first. I'd do a bit of research on the shaft issue. There may be a place that does balance drive shafts, but it may be cheaper and easier to just get a used one. It's not really a wear item. If you go down this road, check the U-joint for play. It's the last thing that wears out, but still.

2. You've seen right, there's a Service Campaign #2005-020003 on the harmonic balancer on the M112/M113. Faulty part numbers are 112 035 00 00 and 112 035 06 00. If yours is one of these numbers, replace it immediately with an OEM one and push the dealership to pay for it according to the Service Campaign.

3. If there's a light, there's a code. Get it diagnosed and see for yourself. As stated, brake light switch is a common problem, and if it doesn't fix it - throw the extra one in the trunk as a spare.

4. These operate the inflatable lumbar support. Do you hear the vacuum pump working when you work the switches? You could have a bad pump, a vacuum leak, or an electrical problem.

6. I would get this checked. If someone messed with it, it needs to be returned to stock state. The known weak point, as stated by burgca, is the regulator.

7. +1 for valve cover gaskets and breather covers. Valve covers have gaskets, buy genuine MB ones, the aftermarket Victor Reinz are too thin and leak immediately. Breather covers are sealed with RTV silicone. Buy a quality one. Pull the valve covers first, remove the breather covers, clean the old RTV and reseal. You don't want that falling into the engine. Then reinstall the valve covers. Don't use RTV on the gaskets, no matter what shade-tree-youtube-mechanics say. You might want to do a search on the bolts, they may be one-time use stretch bolts.

Originally Posted by russell7088
We had water pouring Into floor board yesterday during a down pour.
A common problem on this generation of benzes. Disassemble the front water baffle (or whatever it's called) around the windscreen wiper, clean it out good and you'll see the little drain pipes which are most likely clogged with debris. Clean them out and punch new holes (roughly the size of a thumb) next to them for peace of mind. Best mod I've ever done

Last edited by shadenfroh; 05-23-2017 at 03:06 AM.
Old 05-23-2017, 08:31 PM

99clk 320, 72 250
Thanks

Originally Posted by shadenfroh

1. +1 on wheels/tires first. I'd do a bit of research on the shaft issue. There may be a place that does balance drive shafts, but it may be cheaper and easier to just get a used one. It's not really a wear item. If you go down this road, check the U-joint for play. It's the last thing that wears out, but still.

2. You've seen right, there's a Service Campaign #2005-020003 on the harmonic balancer on the M112/M113. Faulty part numbers are 112 035 00 00 and 112 035 06 00. If yours is one of these numbers, replace it immediately with an OEM one and push the dealership to pay for it according to the Service Campaign.

3. If there's a light, there's a code. Get it diagnosed and see for yourself. As stated, brake light switch is a common problem, and if it doesn't fix it - throw the extra one in the trunk as a spare.

4. These operate the inflatable lumbar support. Do you hear the vacuum pump working when you work the switches? You could have a bad pump, a vacuum leak, or an electrical problem.

6. I would get this checked. If someone messed with it, it needs to be returned to stock state. The known weak point, as stated by burgca, is the regulator.

7. +1 for valve cover gaskets and breather covers. Valve covers have gaskets, buy genuine MB ones, the aftermarket Victor Reinz are too thin and leak immediately. Breather covers are sealed with RTV silicone. Buy a quality one. Pull the valve covers first, remove the breather covers, clean the old RTV and reseal. You don't want that falling into the engine. Then reinstall the valve covers. Don't use RTV on the gaskets, no matter what shade-tree-youtube-mechanics say. You might want to do a search on the bolts, they may be one-time use stretch bolts.

A common problem on this generation of benzes. Disassemble the front water baffle (or whatever it's called) around the windscreen wiper, clean it out good and you'll see the little drain pipes which are most likely clogged with debris. Clean them out and punch new holes (roughly the size of a thumb) next to them for peace of mind. Best mod I've ever done

Thanks again

So with the harmonic balancer being on the m112 and such. Would this 208 model being that bulletin? I'll call dealer have them check vin!!
I really appreciate the help
And yes needd a good polish and some to, was not real sure of car was worth the time and money but this stiff seems simple to take care of so we will tackle it slowly
Old 05-23-2017, 08:31 PM

99clk 320, 72 250
Thanks

Originally Posted by shadenfroh

Thanks again

So with the harmonic balancer being on the m112 and such. Would this 208 model being that bulletin? I'll call dealer have them check vin!!
I really appreciate the help
And yes needd a good polish and some to, was not real sure of car was worth the time and money but this stiff seems simple to take care of so we will tackle it slowly
Old 05-23-2017, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
If your 99 clk, has been serviced by MB dealers, the recall was systematically applied to MY's 1998 though sometime in 2000 and should have been fixed at no cost, by this time.

If not ????????

Last edited by Serndipity; 05-23-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 05-24-2017, 04:39 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
-
I said that about the polish, because at least with me, the little jobs with immediate results seem to motivate me to do the more involved ones

As for the harmonic balancer - no need to call the dealer. It's dead easy to check:

The following users liked this post:
flapjack (12-05-2017)