CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2000 CLK430 Convertible

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2017, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 CLK 430 convertible
2000 CLK430 Convertible

Hello,

I'm in need of the rear window trim plate or surround for my 2000 CLK430 convertible. Are they available?

Thanks,

Russ Sweet
Old 05-29-2017, 03:13 PM

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts
SL500
I don't know of anyplace that sells the plastic trim separately from the headliner since it has to be plastic welded to the cloth. Prices of the headliner range between about $500 - $800. I was able to find an entirely new convertible top assembly, with frame and headliner included, on Ebay for $400, and that was the better route for me to go.

Things to consider in your decision making.

1) The chances of breaking your new plastic trim when attempting to install a new headliner are quite high. If you inspect the broken trim you currently have, you'll see the obvious difficulty that a novice would have in trying to properly attach new plastic trim to the rear window frame (Many professional uphostery shops flat out refuse to even attempt to install a new headliner on Mercedes CLK's because of past customer disatisfation, or their frustration with breaking the new plastic trim on their install attempt and then having to eat the cost when customers don't understand the difficulty involved with installation.

2) It'll take less than 1/4 the time to install an already complete top assembly with frame vs attempting a new headliner install. The headliner itself is fairly easy to install, but as pointed out above, successfully attaching the new plastic trim without damage is trial and error, and with a $500-$800 part, that's a foolhearty attempt imho.

3) Before you embark on a headliner purchase, call around to upholstery shops in your area and get their input. Take you car to them and let them have a look and get them to guarantee that they think they can successfully install. I suspect you'll find most backing away once they take a look. As and FYI, my local dealer wasn't even willing to attempt it, even though I suggested I might be willing to pay their outrageous premium.

Good luck!

*** I ran into a guy last year who had custom made his own trim out of fiberglass. He covered the fiberglass trim in carbon fiber wrap and used urethane adhesive (the type that's used to secure windshields) , and permanently bonded his custom trim piece to both the headliner and window frame. He definitely had talent and it looked better than factory, but obviously it's a permanent solution since there is no way it'll ever be debonded. Said it cost him less than $50 in parts for fabrication.

Last edited by Aussiesuede; 05-29-2017 at 03:30 PM.
The following users liked this post:
burgca (05-30-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Apparently a replacement surround part is inexpensively available, but installing it may be another matter.

See post #19 at https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...placeable.html

Last edited by Serndipity; 05-29-2017 at 05:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
burgca (05-30-2017)