CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2002 CLK320 it's my soft top

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Clk320 Cabriolet
2002 CLK320 it's my soft top

Hi,
I have read the soft top issue threads and did my steps of troubleshooting thus far. I keep thinking, almost there almost there...
Here's where I am now, deciding if I just will send my Steffie's bow lock cylinder for a beautiful redo or more pieces.

Here's my beginning:

Back in April, first nice day I went to drop her top and the windows went down with the release but nothing else. I fiddled with the headrest and got them stuck up. I hadn't attempted anything again, other then trying to reset the system with both the window bottons and the rollbar button, and even disconnecting the battery. My trunk lock got whacky and wouldn't open at first, but now operates as normal.

I then began my troubleshooting steps here last week with the thorough guidance of all the wonderful contributors, thank you to both the problem posters and the contributing solvers!

I chose the first two pieces I would attempt as the fix to be, ordering both the hydraulic fluid and the pump relay from Mercedes. I received both on Thursday and once I filled the reservoir, which was closest to but not totally bone dry, and popped in the new relay. Even though there was no noticeable defect or errosion with the relay, and swapping it prior with the fuel pump relay did not render the fuel pump dead. Okay so temporarily reattached the boot cover and made sure the endcap lever for the micro circuit connection was engaging properly.

And some forward progress, the headrest switch now operates as normal, releasing the toolbar to the down position, as well as raising it again.

Now for the soft top, although it made a racket of noise and was a bit crickety in moving along she did open fully and lock down into place with only the switch, with no help manually. I figured without enough fluid circulating and a few cycles of open close, the creaking was to be expected. So I was optimistic but knew there is more to detect, I let her sit for a bit and then went back to check for fluid levels in the reservoir and any visual leaks, the reservoir went down some but not completely at empty. I went to raise her and it was a labored and much louder racket, with operation stalling position of both the soft top back window and the boot cover in the vertical position, with faint hydraulic drops onto my trunk lid from the center bow lock cylinder area. Attempt at operating to complete the closure or open it back up with the switch only gave fast blinking of the headrest button as well as alternately solid light or blinking of the soft top switch. I removed the carpet panel enough to visually see the bow lock mechanism, not really able to tell exactly on there where the fluid drip is originating. Next I plan to visually inspect the center cover lock to see if there is a leak there.

What should my hopes of the bow lock cylinder rebuild and replenish of the hydraulic fluid, being the complete fix?

Any and all input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks Much

Dee