CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2017, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 clk320
Help

Hi,

I have just bought a 2001 CLK320 i noticed that the LCD was dim on one side so I looked up how to change the bulb and followed the instructions.

Key out
remove cluster (two plugs)
changed bulb (merc original part)
replaced cluster (two plugs checked they were in tight !!)
turned ignition on
Only SRS light comes on for a few seconds
Cluster dead

P L E A S E H E L P !!!!
Old 06-11-2017, 08:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 192 Likes on 172 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Assume you're referring to your instrument cluster.

One or both of the plugs that connect to the rear of the instrument cluster may not be seated properly (e.g. plugged in, but not making good electrical connections).

The electronics operate at extremely low current and the contacts can build up a thin film of oxidation, which provides enough resistance to prevent current flow. This is specially true on contacts that are not gold plated, such as used on computer boards etc.. Often just plugging and re-plugging the connectors can wear off the thin film of resistance and restore the electrical connections.

https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...ix-repair.html
Old 06-11-2017, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 clk320
Thanks,

I think you are correct but for others whom may have the same issue this is what I have found....

Despite plugging in and out and wiggling the cables I could not get it to work until I started to unplug the small connector (right hand connector as you are sitting in the car) and it lit up. I have subsequently found that if you put the extreme right hand side of the connector in first and then push the back end (nearest the center of the instrument panel) in and then lock it, you seem to have a better chance of a good connection.

The temperature was reading -38 deg C and so I did the same to the left hand connector and all seems ok.

Phew....