CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Did I break it?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Call 320 convertible
Did I break it?

Hi again, I bought a 00 clk 320, w208... I checked the seats to ensure they fully moved in all positions, passenger seat was fine, checked the drivers seat..moved forward compleatly, moving back...fine until it came to the back of the track.
As it came to the end the motor slowed down, just as the passenger side....BUT when I went to move forward it moved slightly then stopped. I can move it back (did it only twice) but forward is not working....think I went too far back .PLEASE HELP..I can not the petals now and can not drive.....

Last edited by Nascarfreak; 10-01-2017 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-01-2017, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Nascarfreak.........When power seats fail to operate properly; the problem could be caused by a fault condition with the 'door adjustment switch group', 'electronic seat adjust' (ESA) controller, 'door controller',a motor in the motor group and/or wiring. or obstruction in the guide tracks. A further complication is electrical communications ate done though conventional direct wires, while others are via the interior CANBus digital network..

From what you described, you may able to restore your power seat operation, with one of the following suggestions. Try them.......their like chicken soup (e.g. won't do any harm and may do you some good).

1. First, see if any of the 3 stored seat memory buttons will move the seat forward, upon which you can reach the pedals . If so, then as described in the owner's manual, reset the ESA (e.g. move seat fully forward and hold more than 2 seconds).

If this doesn't work

2. Disconnect the vehicle battery (e.g. only the negative terminal is required) for 30 - 60 minutes. Fortunately, this will erase any soft 'interior CANBus' faults and restore operation. When you do this in addition to the above reset, when you do this, you will have to reset the radio code, power windows, steering angle, which the 'how to' are all detailed in your owner's manual.

Note: The forum is full of 'disconnect the battery' solves everything. That's FALSE advise. He's the skinny.......if the fault is on the 'exterior CANBus' such as with engine management, disconnecting the battery, erases/solves nothing, while faults on the 'interior CANBus" do get erased, until a fault later reappears. Go figure.

If not and you have very strong diagnostic and trouble shooting skills, I might be able to help further.

Last edited by Serndipity; 10-01-2017 at 07:17 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
'02 CLK 320 2000 clk320
Could be something stuck in the tracks. I'm amazed sometimes by how much stuff gets under the seats. I've had pennies stuck in them before. Take the plastic seat cover trim off and look. I think you need to disconnect the battery J/K
Old 11-16-2017, 10:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 133 Likes on 98 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
Try tapping the motor with a spanner, sometimes the commutator gets dirt in it.