CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Rear Driver's Window Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2017, 06:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
clk 320
Rear Driver's Window Help

I have a 2002 CLK320 Cabriolet. I just noticed today that my rear driver's side window won't roll up all the way. All the other windows work fine. I noticed that when I came out to the car this morning, it wasn't all the way up. I put the top down, and enjoyed a cruise and then when I got back, I put up the top and when I rolled up all the window, the D/S Rear stopped half way. During normal motion, the rears seem to move vertical until half way and then move the rest of the way at an angle. This is where the D/S one stops. I can hear a click when I push the button, but the window will not move. I've removed the panel in an effort to see if I can get to the window, but cannot yet. It's strange that it'll move from that half way point just fine all the way down, but will not raise to the full height past that 1/2 way point.

Any help would be appreciated. What should I check? Is it more than likely getting stuck on something inside or do I have a faulty regulator or motor?

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-04-2017, 07:19 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
clk 320
Well, found the issue. There is a plastic piece that guides the window connected to the cable. It is broken a little and at the angle it is at, gets stuck in the guide. I "fixed" it with a piece of plastic and two zip ties, but it isn't permanent. At this point it gets the window all the way up. Will I need a new regulator or can I replace that guide?
Old 11-05-2017, 11:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2002 CLK55 AMG
As the peace you are talking about, the upper window limit stop? It's a small piece of metal about the size of a matchbook that has a piece of plastic along the top. You can see this if you pry away the Rubber and chrome trim along the windowsill. It's about 3in down and in the center of the windowsill from front to back... It keeps the rear window from going too far forward but maybe the plastic has broken away from the metal on this stop and is binding somehow... check my other threads and you will see it explained. Usually the symptom for the broken stop is rear window, it goes too far forward so when you slam the door shut the window does not hit the rear window rubber but clanks against the rear glass...

the part itself is only $14 from Mercedes-Benz, but do find my thread about fixing it because I probably put 30 hours into analyzing what the problem was and figuring out how to fixing it but with my pictures and knowledge someone else can do it for 2 or 3 hours and it's a do-it-yourself repair.

Slice