CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

m3

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2004 | 03:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 W205 C43 AMG
Let me tell you about the S4...

Originally posted by Improviz
Audi is really doing some great stuff these days. And I've always loved their interiors. Enjoy!

RS6 is a beast, but it's a bit overpriced imo...S4 is at a much more realistic pricepoint to its competitors'. And that Quattro is *the* sh*t in the rain! It's amazing to be able to drive a high-horsepower car like that in the wet.
Good Luck with the S4, pal...this S4 is overpriced for what you get in my opinion. You'll find that going to an extended VW dealership for service from a company that had to give away free maintenance to stay alive has cast a dark shadow on unsuspecting, unknowing new owners like yourself, Idangeli.

I predict that you will start harping about your complaints about the S4 on the Audiworld boards soon. Good luck, pal.

Last edited by SoCalCLK; 06-12-2004 at 03:12 AM.
Old 06-12-2004 | 04:53 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430 1999
Added S4 to the diagram...

As you see, when revving <5000rpm, the CLK430 produces the same (or more) power as the S4...

Hmmm... perhaps I should add some more interesting parameters, how about weight/power ratio curve? Airodynamics? :-)

/Martin
Old 06-12-2004 | 09:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Hey, could you throw a curve for the CLK55 on there?

Originally posted by Azeteg
Added S4 to the diagram...

As you see, when revving <5000rpm, the CLK430 produces the same (or more) power as the S4...

Hmmm... perhaps I should add some more interesting parameters, how about weight/power ratio curve? Airodynamics? :-)

/Martin
Old 06-12-2004 | 10:08 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430 1999
Hey, could you throw a curve for the CLK55 on there?
If you find me torque readings for it, did some googling but no luck...

/Martin
Old 06-12-2004 | 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Here you go:

Torque curve for AMG 5.5L V8

Originally posted by Azeteg
If you find me torque readings for it, did some googling but no luck...

/Martin
Old 06-12-2004 | 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
SoCal, you are one of the main reason I am leaving this **** a$$ board.. Listen, so far drving the S4, and it isn't the first one I have owned and the service with Audi, in this area at the very least, blows away the service I get with BNZ, has been phenom! Blows the doors off of the CLK. My POS CLK is sitting outside for the remainder of it's life span with me.

This totally biased board, with the exception of some true enthusiasts, can't stand it when someone has something negative to say about the CLK and something positive to say about another vehicle. So, kiss off.

I will gladly go up against any CLK 430 or an M3 anyday. Guys are posting numbers between 4.7-5.0 with the S4, and the CLK is at 6+ And don't say it isn't, because I spanked the clk driving a freaking FX45, and that is running high 5's. This board, again with the exception of a few, is filled with mindless, racer-boy types, who bought the car to become cool. Well guess what, you're still a loser.

Is it that important to you, that you tell people you drive a mercedes. Two posts prior, the gentlemen who only drives his car occassionally hit the nail on the head. He only uses it to take his girl out or visit friends, therefore impressing them, which is cool, because the CLK is not a daily driver, it can't handle it. Oh wait, sure put 100k in mods in it, and make it just that, an overpriced daily driver. I am still waiting to see the list on that.

So the S4 isn't worth its value?? Hmm, lets see, AWD, 4.2 V8 pushing 340, 6 spd, Recaro seats to die for, 6disc in dash, nav, xm, mem / heated seats, and on and on. For less than 50k..

CLK, um, uncomfortable seats, big v8, pushing 270 ponies, sunroof, phone, heated seats, Rear shade, cd, in the trunk, tape player, all for the low price of 62+. But all the problems come free.

Here's a hint, open your mind, expand your tastes. I am so glad you have had great luck with your car, but you are 1 in 100. Any day you want to run your clk against the S4 on the road, on the track, or anywhere, you let me know. See those tiny red lights in front of you, thats me kicking your ***!!!

Oh yeah, and the scheduled free maintenance still exists, and the only company getting rid of it to stay alive is good old Chrysler, I mean Daimler-Benz.
Old 06-12-2004 | 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
ldangeli, you are being totally ridiculous, and are out of line.

Wtf do you expect people to do on an enthusiast's board? Of course some people get defensive; welcome to human nature! Go over to an S4 board and start posting that you think S4s are flawed and Benzes are better, and see what happens. Or go to any M3 board and blather on about how your new S4 is better than an M3, and see what kind of reception you get...what you are describing is hardly unique to this forum, and indeed, being one who peruses many different car forums, I can safely say that the Benz forums are far *less* rabid about this sort of thing than the other brands' forums I've visited.

And what is this garbage about a CLK not being a good daily driver?? In what sense? Reliability? Don't even go there with Audis...NO German car presently being produced has Japanese-like reliability, period. Look at the surveys if you don't believe it. Audi is not panache in the reliability department, nor are any other German manufacturers...

So, that couldn't be it...what is it then, ride quality? S4s ride stiffer than M3s, so unless you're into kidney belts, I can't see how that's an improvement...again and again, you act as though your personal, subjective opinions should be interpreted as the virtual law of the land, and that anyone who opines otherwise is "against you", an idiot, or both. Puh-lease...grow up.

Oh, and please, spare us the typical Chrysler crap...Benz bought Chrysler, not the other way around, i.e., Volkswagon being the parent company of Audi. At least Mercedes waits until a model line is finished before lending their chassis to Chrysler, as opposed to VW/Audi, who brought out the B5 A4-based Passat in the middle of the A4's product cycle, thus ensuring the values for used A4s plummeted...mighty thoughtful of them.

And one thing to consider with an Audi: residuals. I hope you like losing money, because Audis drop like a rock. They are great cars, but thanks to Audi's unwillingness to launch an effective marketing campaign, they don't hold their value very well, because they don't have the panache of either BMW or Mercedes. The entry cost may be lower, but total cost of ownership = purchase cost - sold cost (assuming one sells it before warranty/free maintanence period is over), and Mercedes' (and BMW's) residuals are far ahead of Audi.

Guess who's number one?? Hiint: it ain't Audi!
Old 06-12-2004 | 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
HAHA, that is the funniest crap I've heard. You couldn't be more wrong. Chrysler purchased the majority stock of Benz in 92' i believe. And as far as value, are you kidding. I can't get rid of my BNZ. It is worth half of what I paid for it, and it has 30 miles on it. Now, as far as you who's number one? It sure as hell ain't benz. There are more people on this board complaining about reliability of their **** box, than none. As far as S4 value, I am not worried, historically, the S4 maintains it's value better than any other, even the M3. The last production model of the S4, still sells for 30k+ dollars, with 20-30k miles. Great considering it is 3 years old and only sold for 45.. So a 15k dollar depreciation as compared to my 2 year old 62k dollar MBZ that is now worth, 34k. You are so right.

I never said AUDI was number one, and I sure as hell won't say BENZ is either. Japanese cars have everyone beat, but I am not buying into the whole mass produced thing. VW also make porsche, the best engineered powerplant in the world, so I think I would rather have them as a parent company, instead of chrysler, who's idea of "Limited" car means only making 50k of them, then recalling them all for bad parts.

M3 is definitely stiffer than the current S4, and even with the recaro seats, you can't feel the bumps. My clk rides harsher and crappier than the S4.

And audi's unwillingness to launch an effective marketing campaign? Now that is funny. The four rings are reminiscent and associated with perfection and their "Never follow" slogan is priceless. What does Benz have, "Now made in ohio"??

Please, before you start spouting off about something you obviously don't know anything about, read up on your facts.

You know, I enjoyed my CLK for a while, and then all the litte issues started adding up and it became more of a hassel that it is worth. Two sets of tires, brakes at 14k, suspension, brakes again at 32k, new sun shade, new driverside window and motor, new cluster / gage panel, new sunroof, rails and sunroof motor, new radio, new trunk lid latch (2 months after I purchased it), and to date the worst service department I have experienced. C'mon, really. And yes, I have had audi prior, and have experienced their service.

I am done with this conversation. Like I said, love you car, after all it is yours..
Old 06-12-2004 | 05:41 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430 1999
Re: Here you go:

Torque curve for AMG 5.5L V8
Ok added it to chart.

/Martin
Old 06-12-2004 | 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
Wow, ldangeli, I thought you were a CLK fan. If this is how you feel about the car, leave now. While I might complain now and again about my car, I still love it. Calling it a ****box is taking it a bit far, isn't it? Personally I'm not a big Audi fan, but hey, if it makes you happy, go for it.
Old 06-12-2004 | 05:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
I was a CLK fan.. And I already have the S4 as well as the CLK in my possession. I have to say I am very impressed by the new audi line.
Old 06-12-2004 | 06:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Lol, you sure don't like to let little things like facts bother you...

Let's play a little game: we'll call it "idiot's claim versus fact". Sound like fun? Great, let's begin!

Idiot's claim number one:
Originally posted by ldangeli
HAHA, that is the funniest crap I've heard. You couldn't be more wrong. Chrysler purchased the majority stock of Benz in 92' i believe.

Fact one: Mercedes bought Chrysler, idiot:

Idiot's claim number two:
And as far as value, are you kidding. I can't get rid of my BNZ. It is worth half of what I paid for it, and it has 30 miles on it.

Yeah, right...30 miles!!! I guess you don't drive your cars, then, so what are you complaining about?

Anyway, back to our game:
Fact two: the *ENTIRE* used car market is slow right now, idiot: Also see fact three, next..

Idiot's claim number three:
Now, as far as you who's number one? It sure as hell ain't benz.

Fact three: (second time posted for you, idiot) Mercedes CLK has industry's highest residuals, idiot: And, idiot, you will be pleased to know that there is not ONE Audi in the top ten.

Wow.

Idiot's claim number four:
There are more people on this board complaining about reliability of their **** box, than none.

Fact four: Here is a link documenting Audi reliability, idiot: BLOWN TURBOS!:
And here is a person complaining about B6 S4 reliability, idiot:
Another person complaining about B6 S4 reliability, idiot:
Still another person complaining about B6 S4 reliability, idiot:

Out of the frying pan, into the fire!!

Idiot's claim number five:
As far as S4 value, I am not worried, historically, the S4 maintains it's value better than any other, even the M3.

Fact number 5a for idiot: current private-party retail value of 2000 S4: $21,469
Fact number 5b for idiot: current private-party retail value of *1999* M3: $23,741

Both of these cars had list prices within a thousand or two of the other, idiot. And yet a BMW M3 ONE MODEL YEAR OLDER is still worth 10% more!!!

Wow.

Idiot's claim number six:
VW also make porsche, the best engineered powerplant in the world

Fact six: Porsche is an independent auto company, not owned by VW, idiot.

Idiot's claim number seven:
M3 is definitely stiffer than the current S4, and even with the recaro seats, you can't feel the bumps. My clk rides harsher and crappier than the S4.

Fact seven: Car and Driver says otherwise in comparo, idiot: There is a downside to the taut chassis muscles, however. The ride quality is darn stiff. The S4 would find jolts on glass roads. Ride impacts may be marginally sharper than the M3’s

And audi's unwillingness to launch an effective marketing campaign? Now that is funny. The four rings are reminiscent and associated with perfection and their "Never follow" slogan is priceless. What does Benz have, "Now made in ohio"??

Ummm...better Ohio than Mexico, where the VWs are now made...and the only Mercedes made in the US is the ML. BMW makes cars here too, idiot: the Z3, for example.

As to "never follow"? Exactly what have they pioneered, other than quattro? Nothing. First to put a V8 in a compact German sport sedan? Mercedes. And Audi's "never follow" 4.2l V8 puts out a whopping seven lb-ft more torque than the 4.3l Mercedes V8 that's been in production since 1998.

Wow. "Never follow"...they damn sure follow in residuals, don't they, per fact 3 above? Why is it, if they're superior to Mercedes, do you suppose that they don't maintain their value as well???

Idiot's claim number 8:

Please, before you start spouting off about something you obviously don't know anything about, read up on your facts.

Fact 8: see facts 1-7 above, idiot. And try following your own advice before you make yourself look stupid again.

Last edited by Improviz; 06-12-2004 at 07:05 PM.
Old 06-12-2004 | 07:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
I am absolutely speechless....ldangeli.....you just got own3d!!!
Old 06-12-2004 | 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
Owned my ***, all his facts are wrong. I don't need to explain. I am not worried as I know who imporviz is, and well, I know the BS he has spewed in the past.

Thanks for calling me an idiot. Just shows your mentality and maturity level. Oooh.. Maybe I should report this post for name calling, like the rest of the weak minded would do here

Sorry for the typo, should've said 30k miles, not 30, but I guess you couldn't figure that out, idiot.

Also, i don't know where the f you're getting your numbers from, but go to Audiusa.com, look up the price of any used S4, just do if F)(ck face..

The entire used car market is slow? I guess you take anything that website, as gospel. Well I got a website for you, www.fu.com

Um as far as chrslyer and benz are concerned, um.. riiiiiiiight. If you think for one second that MB quality hasn't been poluted by chrsyler, than you are naive.

You know what, I am done with this post. The same posers that say I got owned are the sames ones that'll say their CLK430 beat a M3/ferrari/rocket car. Please.. Its only a car you looser.
Old 06-12-2004 | 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
The same posers that say I got owned are the sames ones that'll say their CLK430 beat a M3/ferrari/rocket car. Please.. Its only a car you looser.
Reread the thread, this "poser" never said anything about my CLK beating an M3, I actually said the contrary....babye!!!
Old 06-12-2004 | 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
That poser didn't, but many others on this forum compare the 430 to an M3, or a Z06 was thrown in their at some point.

Who cares, this thread sucks!
Old 06-13-2004 | 03:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 W205 C43 AMG
SoCal, you are one of the main reason I am leaving this **** a$$ board.. Listen, so far drving the S4, and it isn't the first one I have owned and the service with Audi, in this area at the very least, blows away the service I get with BNZ, has been phenom! Blows the doors off of the CLK. My POS CLK is sitting outside for the remainder of it's life span with me.

Here's a hint, open your mind, expand your tastes. I am so glad you have had great luck with your car, but you are 1 in 100. Any day you want to run your clk against the S4 on the road, on the track, or anywhere, you let me know. See those tiny red lights in front of you, thats me kicking your ***!!!

Oh yeah, and the scheduled free maintenance still exists, and the only company getting rid of it to stay alive is good old Chrysler, I mean Daimler-Benz.
Damn, your life must be this board. What are you going to do once you stop visiting this website?

I am glad that I am one of the reasons you are leaving. That means I did my job. Us West Coasters are good for pissing posers off and I am one of the best, as you have personally recognized!

You just bought a car that REALLY handles like a couch on wheels! Audi's are like Saabs, one of the worst in resale value, something a broke punk like you needs to worry about!

As for a race, I don't waste my time with children at the playground like yourself, but I got two words for ya': SUCK IT!

Besides, your monkey a$$ is owned by Improviz, you idiot!

Old 06-13-2004 | 04:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 W205 C43 AMG
That poser didn't, but many others on this forum compare the 430 to an M3, or a Z06 was thrown in their at some point.

Who cares, this thread sucks!
Actually, I don't blame the Benz dealer for treating you the way they do, all they have to do is listen to you speak.

The thread is great, it is great entertainment reading your idiotic posts reading how Improviz took you apart, point by point.

I don't know how pricing is in "Idangeli Town" but here in So Cal, a 2002 CLK 430 with K3+K4 goes for $55,000 new plus tax, etc and a 2004 Audi S4 goes for $54,500 similarly equipped.

Good luck with your new VW and hopefully your Mexican-made electronics and gauges don't pick up on what an idiot you are and start treating you accordingly.

Arriba, Gringo!

Old 06-13-2004 | 04:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 W205 C43 AMG
Brilliant analysis

And one thing to consider with an Audi: residuals. I hope you like losing money, because Audis drop like a rock. They are great cars, but thanks to Audi's unwillingness to launch an effective marketing campaign, they don't hold their value very well, because they don't have the panache of either BMW or Mercedes. The entry cost may be lower, but total cost of ownership = purchase cost - sold cost (assuming one sells it before warranty/free maintanence period is over), and Mercedes' (and BMW's) residuals are far ahead of Audi.

Guess who's number one?? Hiint: it ain't Audi!
Audis do drop like a rock. And thank you for pointing out the entry cost analysis and the total cost of ownership. Unfortunately, these are concepts Idan-idiot-jelly is unable to comprehend!

"It is not worth an intelligent man's time to be in the majority. By definition, there are already enough people to do that.
- G. H. Hardy"

In the case of the Idan-Idiot, the majority are in the intelligence, and he is the minority that avoids intelligence and glorifies himself in being the minority here that pursues stupidity.
Old 06-13-2004 | 11:26 AM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430 1999
*taking a firm grip of Idangeli's, Improviz', SoCalCLK's ears and shouting*

That's enuff boys! Now be nice to eachother and stop pissing on eachothers toys!

/Martin
Old 06-13-2004 | 01:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EFF YOU JACKIE
F socal, f the left coast, you ***** a$$ poser. All car tough. Please, the board and this thread has no valuable information what-so-ever. I love you socal. You are the greatest. You know so much, it fascinates me. You are all knowing. Man they should make you a moderator. You are the best really.

I forgot, MBZ is the best, I shouldn't even mention another car in the same sentence. I am glad to see that 3 out of 3000 on this board have had so much luck with their cars and they are worth so much. Good for you man. You really musy be ticklin' the consumers fancy.

An S4, like driving a couch. That made me laugh. Anyday you want to take your poser a$$ 430, out against my 430, or my S4, I welcome it really. Maybe I'll even take th 03' carrera out against you. That must really be like driving my sofa.

If you only knew the true facts, kid, you would see that their are other flavors out their to explore. Well, have fun, maybe the mod's will ban me for speaking the truth. Why the F not, you've been speaking what you think is gospel, so.. And I got owned?? That is funny. If you want to call it that, that's cool. Thats your opinion, and you are entitled, but, to each's own.

IMHO, this thread, you, 90% of the boy racers on this board, and CLK's SUCK A$$. And no, i won't be driving it anymore. Out of 12 cars in the lat 9 years, this is truly the worst, least valuable, piece of steel I've ever owned..

Love ya sweetheart. Hope this got your panties in a wad.

Just show me one true enthusiast, who isn't biased.
Old 06-13-2004 | 03:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Used to be a CLK430
IMHO, this thread, you, 90% of the boy racers on this board, and CLK's SUCK A$$.
Boy racer, my ***, what do you do for a living? What kind of education do you have? Damn man, just leave and go buy a life....
Old 06-13-2004 | 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Thumbs down Judging by the maturity level of his posts, and his total grammatical incompetence...

...I would say that he's almost certainly a 16-year old honda civic-owning wannabe. Even when he's made to look like an ignorant *ss in front of the whole board, he still keeps spewing total nonsense. An intelligent person knows when he's licked. I very seriously doubt that he is what he claims to be.

Originally posted by nickv
Boy racer, my ***, what do you do for a living? What kind of education do you have? Damn man, just leave and go buy a life....
Old 06-13-2004 | 04:40 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430 1999
Ok, that's it you guys.

YOU'RE ALL GROUNDED!

/Martin
Old 06-13-2004 | 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Lou,

I can't figure out what your CLK/MB/MB dealer/this board has done to infuriate you. Why, just a short year ago, you were one of the faithful....

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...0&pagenumber=4

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 4.00 average.

Quick Reply: m3