CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Door Contact Switch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2018, 05:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK 320
Door Contact Switch

I've picked up a 2000 CLK-320 Convertible.

Mechanically the car seems great no major issues that need attending to.

Two areas of concern, however.

One of the Door Contact Switches have stopped working, so the interior light stays on and the window on the car will not fully close as it stays dipped thinking the door is open. Cheap enough fix, however, I can't seem to figure out how to get access to the back of the switch to remove it. All of the videos I've found have been for 4 door cars.

Secondly, the driver's electric seat is playing up. Forward and back functions only go forward on both the base and the back rest. You need to use the memory functions to move the seat back. So the motor has no issues going backwards just that the switches both send it forward. Could this either be the switch or the computer? A minor inconvenience but annoying just the same.
Old 02-28-2018, 10:37 AM

Received 72 Likes on 60 Posts
2008 E63 wagon (1 of 62)
Generally with the contact switches, you remove the inner weather stripping in the area you need to access, and then pop a few clips off the B-pillar area to remove and install the new switch.. Do you have a picture of your difficult area to access?
With the seat operation, generally that means the seat has lost its normalization and needs to be reset. Most times you can do this by just moving the seat to all of its maximum movements, up/down, forward/back, etc..
Old 03-03-2018, 06:36 PM

CLK 320
Thanks for the reply Racin_Fool. I have managed to fix the issue with the windows, I discovered the contact switches were working fine and I just needed to pull the battery and reset all the windows. The only issue is I appear to have the wrong code for the radio, the lovely lady who previously owned the car must have had warranty work done and had the unit replaced as the code supplied with the car does not work. A simple call to Mercedes should hopefully fix this issue.

I googled around and attempted to 'Normalize" the seat but I can't seem to get it to work. The seat only wants to move the base forward even if I push the backwards direction on the controls. As mentioned the memory recall function moves it back to the original position. Is there possibly a wiring issue with the controller?
Old 03-03-2018, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1978 300CD, 1985 300SD, 2002 CLK430 Cabrio
Question

Originally Posted by Opalatal
Thanks for the reply Racin_Fool. I have managed to fix the issue with the windows, I discovered the contact switches were working fine and I just needed to pull the battery and reset all the windows.
My recently acquired CLK is doing this very same thing with the drivers door window. Can you explain this "reset" for the windows? Or point me in the right direction?
Old 03-04-2018, 07:04 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
all the reset procedures for all MB cars same (windows, seats, sunroof)...move the seat all way forward and hold the switch 5-10 seconds...that sets the "limit" of travel...alll positions same...windows same except be sure that you don't "auto" up and down to get the window into the correct position.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:09 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Opalatal
Thanks for the reply Racin_Fool. I have managed to fix the issue with the windows, I discovered the contact switches were working fine and I just needed to pull the battery and reset all the windows. The only issue is I appear to have the wrong code for the radio, the lovely lady who previously owned the car must have had warranty work done and had the unit replaced as the code supplied with the car does not work. A simple call to Mercedes should hopefully fix this issue.

I googled around and attempted to 'Normalize" the seat but I can't seem to get it to work. The seat only wants to move the base forward even if I push the backwards direction on the controls. As mentioned the memory recall function moves it back to the original position. Is there possibly a wiring issue with the controller?
Did you move the seat all the way forward and then hold the switch there...usually after you set the forward limit, it cancels the rear limit....sounds like your rear limit is seat way forward.
Old 03-04-2018, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1978 300CD, 1985 300SD, 2002 CLK430 Cabrio
Talking Thank you CindyCLK

Originally Posted by cindyclk
all the reset procedures for all MB cars same (windows, seats, sunroof)...move the seat all way forward and hold the switch 5-10 seconds...that sets the "limit" of travel...alll positions same...windows same except be sure that you don't "auto" up and down to get the window into the correct position.
Thanks so much! My drivers window is now working again like it should! Now if I could only get the rear wing window on drivers side to raise up. It seems permanently stuck down, although I can hear a motor running when the switch is depressed. Any idea what that could be? Is there a known weak point in these windows? Or specific areas of concern?
Old 03-06-2018, 05:38 AM

CLK 320
Originally Posted by cindyclk
Did you move the seat all the way forward and then hold the switch there...usually after you set the forward limit, it cancels the rear limit....sounds like your rear limit is seat way forward.
Thank you so much for the help.

I moved the seat all the way forward and held it there for 15 seconds and I has not changed anything. I have a feeling it may be the actual switch that is playing up, as mentioned before I push forward and the seat goes forward, I push backward and the seat moves forward