CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Sunroof Shade slides willy-nilly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-15-2002, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Sunroof Shade slides *****-nilly

While accelerating my sunroof shade slides back and while braking it slides forward.

There does not seem to be any resistance.

MB dealer claims that parts are missing and the entire shade panel has to be replaced, neccesitating the removal/re-installation of the headliner.

While cost-free to me under warranty; -

have you had similar problems? Perhaps less drastic fixes?

tnx
Karl

Last edited by karl k; 04-15-2002 at 11:15 AM.
Old 04-15-2002, 12:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Karl, being that it happened to me, I'm going to take a wild guess, and assume that nothing is missing. But who cares? You and I both got a new one under warranty. Mine began to do that when I told them that the Moon Roof was making a squeaking noise. Rather than oiling that, they oiled the shade underneath, resulting in it slamming forward and back anytime I accelerated or braked.
Old 04-15-2002, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Tnx Ben for the encouragement.

I Do remember your warning, when I went in to have my sunroof squeak fixed. MB re-aligned it, no more squeaks, - but a loose, out-of-control shade...

I am just reluctant to let anyone dismantle my headliner & re-install same, for fear of collateral damage. Was hoping/praying for some "resistance-spray" from a bottle. A quick-fix.

But now, dealer has the re-placement shade assembly - special ordered - and I'll bite the bullet. Have appt. for this wednesday.
Old 04-15-2002, 07:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

I'm the complete opposite. I love getting new parts from Mercedes! If replacing a bolt requires replacing the rear seats, I'm all for it! The way I see it, I have a 100,000 mile warranty, and by that time, my car will be new
Old 04-15-2002, 08:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
Originally posted by Mach430
I'm the complete opposite. I love getting new parts from Mercedes! If replacing a bolt requires replacing the rear seats, I'm all for it! The way I see it, I have a 100,000 mile warranty, and by that time, my car will be new
Don't you have any reservations about removal/re-installation of the headliner? Is it a simple procedure? Is it necessary? ...that's what MB service told me that needs to be done.

Where is MB quality control??
Old 04-15-2002, 08:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enjoy getting new parts too, although it makes you wonder how much $$ MB loses in warranty repairs when the dealerships order new parts at the drop of a hat.

While I TRY to trust MB, I'm usually worried that they'll **** things up worse by taking apart and re-installing doors, headliners, etc.

Most recent occurrance of the "half assed workmanship" is when I happily had them replace my burnt out fog light for free, but they only put 1 screw in when replacing the fog light enclosure, and the thing's totally loose and rattly now.
Old 04-15-2002, 08:44 PM
Out Of Control!!

There is a specific shop foreman at my dealership who is the only one (and his crew) who are allowed to touch my car. He is overly qualified, and I trust his work. If something is done wrong, then it will get fixed... At what expense? Possibly more new parts!
Old 04-16-2002, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350, S320, Mini Cooper S
Ben,

You are one lucky guy, I wish there's a specific man at my dealership to fix my car. Once MB replaced my nav cuz I said there are some buzzing/rattling noise coming out from it. The problem wasn't the nav, it's just the fitting of it, but nonetheless, I get a whole new nav and that made my day
Old 04-16-2002, 01:40 AM
Out Of Control!!

You can specify who you want to work on your car when you drop it off. I had been doing this unofficially for several months, however I had an incident with an idiotic shop foreman that made me decide to have my service consultant write on the form who gets the car each time... Just to give you guys an idea of how lame that guy was... In the past MB replaced my CD changer for a problem that was almost entirely unrelated to it. No problem, I love new-free parts. But this CD changer would at times skip, so I went in to have it replaced. The foreman who normally handles my car was busy that day, and it went to this other guy instead... He opened it up, saw CDR's in it, and immediately said "Burned CD's don't touch it." He could have taken them out and put an original cd in it, but even then, do you think any technician will really listen for 30 minutes until the cd skips? No, this guy just had a complex. The result, he no longer gets commission off of me.
Old 04-16-2002, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
In the past MB replaced my CD changer for a problem that was almost entirely unrelated to it. No problem, I love new-free parts. But this CD changer would at times skip, so I went in to have it replaced. The foreman who normally handles my car was busy that day, and it went to this other guy instead... He opened it up, saw CDR's in it, and immediately said "Burned CD's don't touch it." He could have taken them out and put an original cd in it, but even then, do you think any technician will really listen for 30 minutes until the cd skips? No, this guy just had a complex. The result, he no longer gets commission off of me.
I would have done the same thing. There is a bulletin out stating that burned CDs may not play well in MB CD changers, so there's his back-up right there. The first thing to check is the CDs, if they're not scratched or if they're store-bought CDs, then you go farther. The next step involves checking the CD changer mounting, and whether the shock absorber springs are in the horizontal or vertical position. A technician will not sit and wait for the CD to skip, because he's not making any money by sitting there listening to some guy's Air Supply CD.

Last edited by mbtech208; 04-16-2002 at 01:50 AM.
Old 04-16-2002, 02:18 AM
Out Of Control!!

Perhaps I didn't mention clearly enough that they replaced a working CD player the week before (with the same CD's).
Old 04-16-2002, 02:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1997 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
Perhaps I didn't mention clearly enough that they replaced a working CD player the week before (with the same CD's).
No need to be a jerk about it. Why did they replace a working CD changer anyways? Even though it sounds like you were all too happy to get a new free changer in exchange for one that worked OK to begin with.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)
MBTECH:

Do you have any experience with loose sliding, almost resistance-free sunroof shades?

Where is the defect/fault?

tnx
Karl
Old 04-16-2002, 01:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally posted by mbtech208
No need to be a jerk about it. Why did they replace a working CD changer anyways? Even though it sounds like you were all too happy to get a new free changer in exchange for one that worked OK to begin with.
No offense was intended. There was a short somewhere in the car's electrical system that was causing the Tele-aid service to turn on. Because I mentioned that it one of the times it happened the CD player was on, they decided to change out the CD player. The same CDs were in that CD player as in the replaced one.
Old 04-16-2002, 09:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CLK 55 AMG Coupe ;)

No offense was intended. There was a short somewhere in the car's electrical system that was causing the Tele-aid service to turn on. Because I mentioned that it one of the times it happened the CD player was on, they decided to change out the CD player. The same CDs were in that CD player as in the replaced one.
Ben:

I had a "gold plated CD" among the six in my player. When it came time to play the gold CD all hell broke loose (kidding): Nothing, no sound! Apparently gold plated CDs are not recognized properly by the MB CD player.

FYI: When I took the gold CD and stuck it into the 6 in-dash CD player in my RSX-X, it played flawlessly. Sometimes, HONDA is light-years ahead of MB engineering & design!