CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Can’t anyone identify what this sound could mean? VIDEO

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 08:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK430
Can’t anyone identify what this sound could mean? VIDEO

Today out of nowhere, my 2002 CLK 430 just wont start. It has a half tank of gas and the battery seems to be charged up.

Does anyone recognize the sound it’s making when it fails to turn over in the video link above. Thanks in advance for any clues, remedies, ideas.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
clk 320
I'm going to start with some assumptions: 1. You didn't recently overheat it. 2. The head isn't warped. 3. You're getting good compression.

Your issue is then one of two things. 1. You're not getting fuel to the engine or 2. You don't have spark.

1. If you're smelling unburned fuel after several seconds of ongoing cranking, you're getting fuel. You can also use a fuel system pressure tester to make sure your fuel pump is putting out what you need. You may have a fuse blown for the fuel pump also.
2. You're not getting spark to the igniters/spartplugs. This could also be a fuse issue. Check to make sure all your fuses/relays are good in the fuse box. These are more than likely your most probable culprits.

It doesn't seem like it's even trying to start at all, so my take is you are missing one of the 3 essential elements (pressure/fuel/spark), and I'm assuming you have the pressure because it is turning over.

Let us know what you find out and we can go with next steps.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK430
All fixed! Thank you so much!

It was a trunk fuse!