CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Chrome Wheels (Refinished)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2004, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chrome Wheels (Refinished)

Does anyone have any experience with getting their OEM rims refinished (chromed)? I saw something on Eaby about it, and the rims looked nice. Basically, they ship you out their rims (chrome), and you send back your silver ones. It costs about $600 plus shipping.

I was thinking about changing my rims anyway, and figured this might be a cheaper solution. Any ideas....
Old 05-25-2004, 11:22 AM

bump
Old 05-25-2004, 01:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Some of my buddies have chrome wheels. More trouble than it's worth IMO.

It's not a matter of "if" they will peel and pitt, but "when".

The chrome plating process weakens the wheel and it is not recommended by Mercedes-Benz.

You may consider polishing or perhaps another set of wheels. Just my two cents of a buck.
Old 05-25-2004, 02:12 PM
Almost a Member!

CLK 430
Agree with Chappy. I had rechromed wheels on my Corvette which spent most of their time in a garage, never saw rain, snow, etc. Even pampered they start to peel after two or three years.

FWIW - there are places that rechrome wheels listed in the classifieds in the back of Road&Track magazine. When you call them, they tell you that they only warranty the coating for three years.

If you are OK with three years, CHROME AWAY.
Old 05-25-2004, 03:41 PM

What about polishing? Will that fix surface scratches? How much does that cost..
Old 05-25-2004, 03:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Originally posted by harryjdclk
What about polishing? Will that fix surface scratches? How much does that cost..
Polishing is not the same as lip refinishing if you've got scuffs. The shop will charge extra if this has to be done. A quality job (depending on where you live) may run $200 per wheel. Check the back of Autoweek for some names of shops.

Good luck.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
209/W210 Estate /W211 modded by MBENZNL
Post Wheel Refinishing

Mercedes has a TSB that was sent to ALL Mercedes Dealers..
NOT To Plate ANY of its Wheels..Well The Dealers are Greedy
So They dont care what the long term effect is on your rims.

I Have Had My Rims Polished and they look great..NOT as Nice as Chrome but still look good.More Work to keep them up..

I Use Mag Masters in Santa Ana Ca

magmaster@earthlink.com
714 541 9777

They will Polish The Rims for a lot less than $200.00 ea
They also do repairs/and offer clear coat for the Maintence Free look
Old 05-25-2004, 11:29 PM

2006 E55 & 2009 Audi S5
I had mine redone by some guys that come by the dealer and fixes theirs before they sell a car. They didn't even have to take the wheels/tires off. The guy grinds off the old paint and paints on the new--so they say. They wouldn't let me watch. They took out curb rash, etc., and they look like new--I was shocked. The dealer said they charge about $50-75.00 each to do them. I worked it out in the purchase agreement. It may be a national franchise or something, so ask your dealer. If they don't use them, call McConnell Mercedes in Mobile, Alabama and speak to Orlando Nelson and get him to ask the guys that do them if they know of someone in your area who can do the same for you. Tell him Joey told you about it. I have known this guy for years and he will shoot you straight. That's hard to say in the same sentence as car salesman. LOL