CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Lights on trunk hatch not working 2000 clk320 w208

Old 04-07-2018, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk320 w208
Lights on trunk hatch not working 2000 clk320 w208

The lights on the trunk lid do not work. The bulbs are good there is no power. I have repaired broken wires at the trunk lid hinge that powered the trunk lock. I have i spected all the wires in the trunk and cannot find any more broken wires. I have checked all fuses. All the other rear lights work, and all other lights on car.
I have read that a rear Sam module controls the rear lights. It is supposed to be under the rear seat, i cannot find it.
Does anyone have access to wiring diagrams for w208 lighting and location on rear Sam module or any suggestions of what the problem is?
Thanks
Old 04-07-2018, 07:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
A couple of years ago, none of the lamps located on my trunk lid were working (e.g. backup, 3rd brake, rear fog, license plate) and I was getting the lamp out warning.

Additionally, with the car turned off, whenever I opened the truck, the passenger side mirror motor operated and the electrical radiator cooling fan turned on at full speed. If I opened trunk while the engine was running, the dash also lit up and flashed like a Xmas tree. Closing the trunk or holding in the trunk's courtesy lamp plunger, stopped the additional ill effects.

The reason for the strange interactions with other vehicle systems, was that the operation of the other vehicle control modules, was being messed up, by CANBus voltage encoding.

During my troubleshooting and repair, I found the thick brown wire (e.g. the primary ground return from the trunk lid) inside the trunk hinge wiring harness was broken. Not sure about coupe models, but on the cabriolets, the harness is on the passenger side, between the trunk lid and the quarter panel.

The reason that the breakage of this wire, is that it's construction is of only a few strands of large gauge wires, which makes it much more susceptible to breakage upon flexing.

The repair was cut out the stiff large brown wire, from inside the protective flexible rubber sleeve and splice in a more flexible wire (e.g. with more strands of thinner gauge wire).

The N7-1 lighting control module is located on the side of the dash board (see enclosed docs.).
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
W208 fuses N7-1 location.pdf (334.8 KB, 189 views)
File Type: pdf
W208 fuses N7-1 assignments.pdf (235.7 KB, 175 views)

Last edited by Serndipity; 04-07-2018 at 07:58 PM.
The following users liked this post:
1puttpro (09-24-2022)