CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Ahh!! Limp mode??

Old 05-07-2018, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CLK320 2008 C300
Ahh!! Limp mode??

I recently purchased a 2003 CLK320 Cabriolet. The car has 69k miles on it. After purchase i discovered a pretty bad problem that i can't seem to figure out. After putting the car under hard acceleration it seems to go in a "limp" mode, almost like its in 5th gear and stuck there. If i come to a stop and turn the car off and on it corrects the problem, this leads me to believe its a sensor or some other electrical problem. It doesnt have an issue under normal acceleration, only when pulling out on a busy road and need to get the car moving. Ive done some research and replaced the MAP sensor... that didnt work. There are like 10 other problems it "could" be but was hoping for some advice. I just bought this as a fun summer car I have a Range Rover Sport for my daily driver...but so far ive put 18" cls550 wheels, new tires, new suspension, new brakes and rotors, MAP sensor.... also have a small oil leak i have to look into... and this problem. I like the car but i really wasnt looking to rebuild something...
Old 05-10-2018, 03:16 AM

C200
Hello

It sounds like a limp mode when I have checked some information. You normally get stuck on 3rd gear but it depends.
The best way to solve a limp mode is to connect an OBD2 scanner and check for any trouble codes. Do not just replace parts without reading the trouble codes first, it will just waste your money and with an obd2 scanner, you will get your codes within seconds.
Please post the trouble codes here and I can help you out.
Source: Limp home mode
Old 05-10-2018, 09:19 AM

2003 CLK320 2008 C300
Its been solved!

I had a trouble code for Throttle position sensor which didnt get picked up on thr first scanner i was using. Quick swap out for that and seems to have fixed the problem.

Now for the oil like which im pretty sure is just the seal. Of course my my 08 C300 needs a new TPMS. Ugh.

Thanks for the response though, i wasnt getting any chrvk engine light or was it throwing any codes with the other scanner I had.