CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Input wanted on wheels for the CLK project

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-01-2004 | 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Those are nice. Are the C20s lighter than the 547s? What's the difference between the 547s and 547Rs? The C20 or the 547 in the C20 color scheme is the way I'm leaning right now.
Old 06-01-2004 | 06:04 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally posted by Sleestack
Those are nice. Are the C20s lighter than the 547s? What's the difference between the 547s and 547Rs? The C20 or the 547 in the C20 color scheme is the way I'm leaning right now.
The C-series are definitely lighter than the 540 series as they are meant for the track. Difference between 547 and 547R's is the lip. 547 has the stepped up or staged lip while the 547R has a flat lip. If you're looking at the 547 series and want something light get the 547 with the stepped up/stagged lip. Those will be lighter. Since your car is pretty much all black if you get the C20 in anodized or shot peened black the polished lip will compliment your car very well. Just imagine black car with black centers and then nice polished lips? That would look sick! Are you also keeping your current Brembo setup or upgrading them?
Old 06-01-2004 | 06:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by JamE55
The C-series are definitely lighter than the 540 series as they are meant for the track. Difference between 547 and 547R's is the lip. 547 has the stepped up or staged lip while the 547R has a flat lip. If you're looking at the 547 series and want something light get the 547 with the stepped up/stagged lip. Those will be lighter. Since your car is pretty much all black if you get the C20 in anodized or shot peened black the polished lip will compliment your car very well. Just imagine black car with black centers and then nice polished lips? That would look sick! Are you also keeping your current Brembo setup or upgrading them?

Thanks for the explanation. The 547s are hot.... although it seems everyone has them. I'll probably go that route anyway if I don't go with the C20. Shot peened black? What the hell is that? How does it compare to anodized? I'm definitely going with a black center/polshed lip setup.

Brembos are being replaced with a bigger kit up front. The rears were just rotors and will be replaced by a Brembo BBK.
Old 06-01-2004 | 06:33 PM
Out Of Control!

Originally posted by Sleestack
Thanks for the explanation. The 547s are hot.... although it seems everyone has them. I'll probably go that route anyway if I don't go with the C20. Shot peened black? What the hell is that? How does it compare to anodized? I'm definitely going with a black center/polshed lip setup.

Brembos are being replaced with a bigger kit up front. The rears were just rotors and will be replaced by a Brembo BBK.
Yeah everyone has the 547 style and looks played out. Go with something brand new C20's! Not only will the C20's look sick on your car but they weigh lighter than the 547's. Not exactly sure but i believe the 19" C20's weigh in around 20-22lbs per wheel? Maybe Peter can shed some light? From what i understand shot peened is almost like anodized black except shot peened has a stronger coating/paint. It's like if you touched anodized black the surface of the paint itself is very smooth unlike shot peened when you touch the surface it's rough. Thicker coating. But yes definitely go with Blacked out centers and polished lip.

Also since you're BBK's are getting the bigger kit you may want to consider the Brembo Le Mans kit. I believe the calipers are titanium with 8-piston and 380mm rotors. That should definitely do the trick. Although it is a very expensive kit but i know a few people who have used them and can attest to the stopping power is just incredible.
Old 06-01-2004 | 06:49 PM

HRE 547R