CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Weird traction control issue cause

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 02:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk430
Weird traction control issue cause

I wanted to post this in case anybody else runs into it. Last year I bought Uniroyal tires for my 2002 CLK430. I noticed they would squeal on lite cornering and were wearing fairly fast. BUT about the same time was having the traction control light coming on while driving to work and was also doing weird shifting..Thought I had a sensor or transmission going out but after hydroplaning a little I bought new General tires. Started noticing the traction control issue went away.
The funny part is the uniroyals lasted around 8K and were worn out..Either bad tires or car issue went away. Not sure of the cause but strange the traction issue went away when I changed tires
Old 04-12-2019, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
2002 CLK430
There's a lot of information needed, but I'll try to respond with what you've given.

As for the squeal and fast wear - I don't know which Uniroyal tires you bought, but noisy tires that wear quickly can be a sign of substandard tires. I've owned my CLK a very long time and have gone through several sets of tires. The last three sets of tires I've purchased have been Continental Extreme Contacts. The Continentals wear well, supply very good traction, are quiet, and don't tramline. In your case, the key words are "quiet" and "wear well".

If the traction light problem went away with a new set of tires, it sounds like it was a size issue. Your CLK was designed to have the rolling diameter of the front and rear tires to be very close. That's why the U.S. spec 430's OE tires were 245/40 rear and 225/45 front. With the original equipment Michelin and Continental tires, the front and rear rolling diameter of were extremely close. That's important because the CLK has rotational speed sensors at each wheel. If the car is moving straight (the CLK uses a yaw sensor to determine this), those speed sensors are used to determine if all four wheels are rotating at close to the same speed. If not, the traction light illuminates because either a wheel is slipping, or it has low air pressure, or something else is wrong. BTW, I don't believe the cruise control would engage while the traction light was illuminated.

At any rate, it's good to hear the car is running well now.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:59 PM

clk430
Wish i could measure them

I now wonder if the tire store had a 245 on front or just junk tires. But considering the tigerpaws were worn after 8000 and had bad traction from day one i vote junk tires.
So far i like the generals, guy who sold me the car ran Michelins and said he rarely got more then $17k on a set.

Originally Posted by MarcusF
There's a lot of information needed, but I'll try to respond with what you've given.

As for the squeal and fast wear - I don't know which Uniroyal tires you bought, but noisy tires that wear quickly can be a sign of substandard tires. I've owned my CLK a very long time and have gone through several sets of tires. The last three sets of tires I've purchased have been Continental Extreme Contacts. The Continentals wear well, supply very good traction, are quiet, and don't tramline. In your case, the key words are "quiet" and "wear well".

If the traction light problem went away with a new set of tires, it sounds like it was a size issue. Your CLK was designed to have the rolling diameter of the front and rear tires to be very close. That's why the U.S. spec 430's OE tires were 245/40 rear and 225/45 front. With the original equipment Michelin and Continental tires, the front and rear rolling diameter of were extremely close. That's important because the CLK has rotational speed sensors at each wheel. If the car is moving straight (the CLK uses a yaw sensor to determine this), those speed sensors are used to determine if all four wheels are rotating at close to the same speed. If not, the traction light illuminates because either a wheel is slipping, or it has low air pressure, or something else is wrong. BTW, I don't believe the cruise control would engage while the traction light was illuminated.

Old 04-13-2019, 06:55 PM

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
06' Audi Quattro, 00'SL500
Originally Posted by MarcusF

I read your response to his issue and appreciate that feedback. I'm installing a staggered set of 17" Mercedes rims 8's on the rear,7's on the front and found a decent price on the Continentals you mentioned. I hope to get them installed by Wed. My alarm came on due to low air pressure.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:57 AM

clk430
I like the general gmax

Got them from discount tire for around $108 each..So far good traction and ride..Not sure why but the Uniroyals I had issues with aren't listed on the old place site anymore..maybe they had issues?? I had otehr issues with that store and switched to discount tire and like them, didn't try and sell me a " new kinute gvalve, because your existing one is about the break and if it does you will die" " we can do it now for $499 if you give me time to find the rare part"
Originally Posted by BenzBopper
I read your response to his issue and appreciate that feedback. I'm installing a staggered set of 17" Mercedes rims 8's on the rear,7's on the front and found a decent price on the Continentals you mentioned. I hope to get them installed by Wed. My alarm came on due to low air pressure.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:38 PM

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
06' Audi Quattro, 00'SL500
I was told that the rigidity of some of the sidewalls on different tires can affect stability issues on certain cars that have this type of sensor input. I've had bought several used late model cars like GT500's, SL55 and a very nice 04' CLK320 that had less than quality tires and had sensor issues. I went to better tires on my sl55 with G-Force 2's and eliminated the side deflection on hard turns. I don't recommend those tires for winter driving because of the softer compounds used but they stick on hard cornering. I travel a lot of twisty mountain roads and purposely run a lot harder through the turns for entertainment.
The following users liked this post:
markayash (04-26-2019)