CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Windows Wont Synchronize - Sunroof wont either

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2019, 11:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 CLK 55 AMG
Windows Wont Synchronize - Sunroof wont either

Hi all. I have been having trouble synchronizing my power windows and sunroof. Mine is a 2002 CLK55 W208.
The auto-down when opening doors doesn't work.
The one touch auto up or down doesnt work. The one touch down used to work at one point, but after disconnecting the battery, it wont work anymore either.

Sunroof wont sync. On closed position it is always halfway up.

I have searched intensively and read all over these and other forums about the various sync procedures, tried them and nothing works.

I have replaced the power window motors on both sides, both door control modules (DCM), the main window switches, the sunroof motor. Door switches are good.

I checked the system using an advanced scanner that can read individual systems, and there were some codes, but I cant make any sense of them.
B1120 (Test switch N72s3 (Left rear power window switch) for short circuit to ground.
B1004 (The control module does not match the vehicle model).

These two codes dont make sense, since its a coupe and there are no rear windows, and the control module is the correct part# for this model according to various parts catalogs.

I did notice that when looking at the live data in the scan tool, and looking at the pulse counter from the power window, there is no change when windows move up and down. The window motors have hall effect sensors (2 of them in each motor), which sense the position & direction of the windows. These signals go to the DCM to make it memorize the positions.

When looking at the position pulse counter for the sunroof, it does change and the sunroof moves, but it is still not able to synchronize in the right position.

Is there any other module in this system that I may have missed? I do have 1 malfunction on the dash for the SOS System not activated, but I dont think that has anything to do with it, since its a completely different system. I have read that there is something called a SAM (Signal Acquisition Module), but I dont know how it relates to these systems.

Thanks for the help.

Last edited by 02CLK; 04-19-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Numerous updates were made to the W208/A208 during MY 2001 production, which means that not only must related controller modules be replaced with the same updated part number and that VIN specific vehicle version coding has been performed, as well.

When window synchronization can not be performed and/or convenience features do not work, the version coding (e.g. in the N73 electronic ignition switch control module, N72 lower control field module or N69 the door control modules), are incorrect.

As shown below, the window system in the W208 (coupe) and A208 (cabriolet) are very different.

From the DTCs you provided, it appears that the replacement door control modules may have been donated from a A208.

FYI, here are the connection of components for the W208 system.

Last edited by Serndipity; 04-21-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 04-21-2019, 08:25 PM

Received 53 Likes on 45 Posts
06' Audi Quattro, 00'SL500
Is there any mention of a "learn trip" when installing new motors or modules?