CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

ABS, ESP & BAS lights on CLK320 A208

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-26-2019, 07:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 Mercedes CLK 320 Convertable
Exclamation ABS, ESP & BAS lights on CLK320 A208

I have a 2000 CLK320 Convertible. It is an A208. I have cleaned all four of the ABS wheel sensors, changed the stop light switch and bought a scanner to perhaps give me an answer to why those lights are on. Scanner tells me it's not connected to the vehicle,but it just ran a full diagnostic! Found that there are only 5 wires connected at the 16 pin DLC! Anyway, can anyone tell me what to check next?? I was thinking it may be the ABS pump so I disconnected the wire harness to try to give it 12 volts to run. I know the red wire is power and a brown one should be ground. But there are 2 brown striped wires in the harness.

Does anyone have any more suggestions as to what to check next???? I love this vehicle and have put a lot of work into it since I purchased it about a year ago.

HELP!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2019, 09:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
For your 2000 A208, the Innova scanner you mentioned in a prior post, is only capable of reading and clearing some of the powertrain diagnostic trouble codes (e.g. sufficient for CEL emmissions problems).

The reason is that MB only implemented a subset of OBDII on the 208 and 210 models, which only brought out power, ground and a single ended K line to the OBDII connector.

In order to read and clear network, body, chassis and deeper powertrain DTCs, you have to use a scanner that connects to the 38 Pin engine bay diagnostic connector and understands the proprietary software protocols (e.g. MB SDS).

Last edited by Serndipity; 05-26-2019 at 09:42 PM.
Old 05-26-2019, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Serndipity
For your 2000 A208, the Innova scanner you mentioned in another post, is only capable of reading and clearing some of the powertrain diagnostic trouble codes (e.g. sufficient for CEL emmissions problems).

The reason is that MB only implemented a subset of OBDII on the 208 and 210 models, which only brought out power, ground and a single ended K line to the OBDII connector.

In order to read and clear network, body and chassis DTCs, you have to use a scanner that connects to the 38 Pin engine bay diagnostic connector and understands the proprietary software protocols used, such as the MB Star SDS .

It's not an issue with your scanner, as it wasn't until MY 2004 and up, that MB finally implemented full OBDII signalling and protocols.
I just found the 38 pin connector under the hood! Ordered the adapter. They Craftsman 6180, or Innova 5100 will read ABS but no BAS or ESP. Can't wait to get the adapter cable!! Why would the car have two OBD ports anyway??
Thanks for the reply!
Old 05-26-2019, 10:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by 2dogsrock
I just found the 38 pin connector under the hood! Ordered the adapter. They Craftsman 6180, or Innova 5100 will read ABS but no BAS or ESP. Can't wait to get the adapter cable!! Why would the car have two OBD ports anyway??
Thanks for the reply!
FWIW, the $10 38 pin to OBDII adapter cables only supply the same power, ground and k line connections that are already present on your vehicle under the dash OBDII connector.

Hopefully the one you ordered, brings out the additional signal lines and your scanner will work with the the proprietary software protocols that were used during the 1998 - 2003 model years.

Mercedes eventually dropped the 38 pin diagnostic port altogether in the mid 2000s and finally adopted the OBDII port as its sole diagnostics interface.

Here are the requirements of a fully implemented OBDII port . On the W208/A208, MB only implemented ISO 9141-2 with a single ended K line (e.g. did not include the optional pin 15 connection).

Last edited by Serndipity; 05-26-2019 at 10:43 PM.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:00 PM

Thanks!

The photos are very helpful. I can now check my OBD2 port for correct pin wiring. I also hope that the 38 pin adaptor will give me more info.
Thanks for being patient, this is my first Mercedes and am very impressed with the workmanship. I would purchase another used one of I could find a 1980's sedan.
Fingers crossed🤞
Old 05-29-2019, 10:46 AM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
We are assuming that you did the reset procedure (left/right/center) after a new battery is installed?
Old 05-29-2019, 03:43 PM

Angry Yup

Originally Posted by cindyclk
We are assuming that you did the reset procedure (left/right/center) after a new battery is installed?
When I purchased the vehicle the car a year ago, I replaced the battery and performed that reset. In fact, in another thread it described how to do a vehicle reset. Neither of them worked.

By the way Serndipity, you were right!! The Innova 5100 will not read the ABS codes. I am now looking at a Launch Product. This is becoming very frustrating
Old 05-31-2019, 08:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 133 Likes on 98 Posts
SL 350 R230 (3.7L with AMG Speedshift autobox)
I haven't been on this forum for years, so hello all !

Things from me to check are:
  • You MUST buy original stop switch, OEM is not going to be reliable, I know this as I have bought 3 that all failed after a few weeks.
  • Check you ABS connections on the looms
  • Correctly perform the reset.
Below are all my reset I know:

Preparation Steps:
1. Make sure your steering wheel is straight.
2. Make sure your windows are all the way up
3. Make sure your sun roof is completely closed (if you have one)
4. Make sure your parking brake is released.
6. Turn off your stereo and make sure you have your stereo's Anti-theft code.
7. Turn off your heat/AC blower
8. Turn off your lights
9. Make sure your doors are UNLOCKED.

Now, disconnect battery 30 secs and then reconnect.
Get in car close the door and turn the key to position 2 (Just before you start the engine but do not start it)

1. Resetting your windows: Bring down both windows at the same time by holding the switches just before the click that brings them down automatically. Once both windows are all the way down make both switches click by pressing them all the way down and hold them for 3 secs (This lets the ECU learn that that is the end of the window track and it records it in memory). Do the same for closing the windows by holding both switches and making them click once the windows are all the way up.

2. Turn on your blower and make both sides go to 72 deg (if you have this typr of heater control) by pressing both up and down buttons at the same time. This will calibrate the ECU
3. Turn on your stereo and enter you stereo code.
4. Pull the sun roof all the way back and all the way forward then up and then done.

6. Turn all you lights on and off, including your fog lights.

7. Turn the key back to position 0.

8. Turn on your engine. You will get 2 malfunctions, your ABS and ESP lights will be on and must be calibrated.

9. Calibrate your ABS and ESP systems by turning the steering wheel all the way to your RIGHT and then all the way to your LEFT, then bring it back to the middle. Notice the two yellow lights disappear from you dashboard.

10. Let your car run in idle for about 5 minutes and then take it for a spin. Remember your ECU is still getting all the readings from all the sensors on your car so drive slowly first then faster... and so on.. you are basically teaching your ECU how to handle your car.

Throttle
Reset

1. Get in and shut the door
2. Turn key to position 2 (just before you start the engine).
3. Press the gas pedal to the floor... past the kick down point...
4. Hold the pedal there for 15 seconds
5. After 15 seconds while foot still planted, turn the key off but do not remove it.
6. Release gas pedal and wait 3 mins. Do nothing, you should here a click near key at 3 mins.
7. After the 3 minutes start the car and drive off normally... you should notice a difference in the shift pattern and smoothness.

Service
Reset
Turn the car on to the 2nd key position, all the way ON, but do not start it.

- Then scroll through and find the A/B Service notification. Hold the "R" or
reset button on the dash. After a few seconds a message will display on screen asking you if you would like to resetthe service notification. Once this happens let off of the "R" button.

- Press and hold the "R" button one more time until the
reset is complete.

Valve
Reset:
(move valve with finger off 90degrees, turn key to 2nd position, let valve close and open, wait for "click", turn off key, turn back on for 45 secs during which time the valve will close and open again, key off (Not been able to make this work)Trunk Release:Remove drivers fuse panel, pull 4 fuses on left 7.5A and 5A, wait few secs and replace then try door unlock switch to see if it works, this will tell you if alarm is deactivated. If not try other fuses.Passenger Mirror auto-dip reset:1- Turn key to position 2
2- Select reverse, adjust mirror down so you can see kerb for reversing etc.
3- Press Green store button on drivers door control next to the seat adjustment for a couple of seconds, then within 3 secs press the mirror control again just once in any direction, mirror is now stored. Return to Gear shift to Park.
4- Wait 17 secs mirror will return to normal position.
5- Select reverse and test to make sure it dips ! DONE.
The following users liked this post:
rsalsman (05-31-2019)
Old 05-31-2019, 02:03 PM

Thanks

Originally Posted by A1EK
I haven't been on this forum for years, so hello all !

Things from me to check are:
  • You MUST buy original stop switch, OEM is not going to be reliable, I know this as I have bought 3 that all failed after a few weeks.
  • Check you ABS connections on the looms
  • Correctly perform the reset.
Below are all my reset I know:

Preparation Steps:
1. Make sure your steering wheel is straight.
2. Make sure your windows are all the way up
3. Make sure your sun roof is completely closed (if you have one)
4. Make sure your parking brake is released.
6. Turn off your stereo and make sure you have your stereo's Anti-theft code.
7. Turn off your heat/AC blower
8. Turn off your lights
9. Make sure your doors are UNLOCKED.

Now, disconnect battery 30 secs and then reconnect.
Get in car close the door and turn the key to position 2 (Just before you start the engine but do not start it)

1. Resetting your windows: Bring down both windows at the same time by holding the switches just before the click that brings them down automatically. Once both windows are all the way down make both switches click by pressing them all the way down and hold them for 3 secs (This lets the ECU learn that that is the end of the window track and it records it in memory). Do the same for closing the windows by holding both switches and making them click once the windows are all the way up.

2. Turn on your blower and make both sides go to 72 deg (if you have this typr of heater control) by pressing both up and down buttons at the same time. This will calibrate the ECU
3. Turn on your stereo and enter you stereo code.
4. Pull the sun roof all the way back and all the way forward then up and then done.

6. Turn all you lights on and off, including your fog lights.

7. Turn the key back to position 0.

8. Turn on your engine. You will get 2 malfunctions, your ABS and ESP lights will be on and must be calibrated.

9. Calibrate your ABS and ESP systems by turning the steering wheel all the way to your RIGHT and then all the way to your LEFT, then bring it back to the middle. Notice the two yellow lights disappear from you dashboard.

10. Let your car run in idle for about 5 minutes and then take it for a spin. Remember your ECU is still getting all the readings from all the sensors on your car so drive slowly first then faster... and so on.. you are basically teaching your ECU how to handle your car.

Throttle
Reset

1. Get in and shut the door
2. Turn key to position 2 (just before you start the engine).
3. Press the gas pedal to the floor... past the kick down point...
4. Hold the pedal there for 15 seconds
5. After 15 seconds while foot still planted, turn the key off but do not remove it.
6. Release gas pedal and wait 3 mins. Do nothing, you should here a click near key at 3 mins.
7. After the 3 minutes start the car and drive off normally... you should notice a difference in the shift pattern and smoothness.

Service
Reset
Turn the car on to the 2nd key position, all the way ON, but do not start it.

- Then scroll through and find the A/B Service notification. Hold the "R" or
reset button on the dash. After a few seconds a message will display on screen asking you if you would like to resetthe service notification. Once this happens let off of the "R" button.

- Press and hold the "R" button one more time until the
reset is complete.

Valve
Reset:
(move valve with finger off 90degrees, turn key to 2nd position, let valve close and open, wait for "click", turn off key, turn back on for 45 secs during which time the valve will close and open again, key off (Not been able to make this work)Trunk Release:Remove drivers fuse panel, pull 4 fuses on left 7.5A and 5A, wait few secs and replace then try door unlock switch to see if it works, this will tell you if alarm is deactivated. If not try other fuses.Passenger Mirror auto-dip reset:1- Turn key to position 2
2- Select reverse, adjust mirror down so you can see kerb for reversing etc.
3- Press Green store button on drivers door control next to the seat adjustment for a couple of seconds, then within 3 secs press the mirror control again just once in any direction, mirror is now stored. Return to Gear shift to Park.
4- Wait 17 secs mirror will return to normal position.
5- Select reverse and test to make sure it dips ! DONE.
I've completed all of your suggestions, except the throttle reset looks interesting. If I can't get them to go off today I guess I'm heading to my local mechanic and have him run codes.
Old 05-31-2019, 03:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
1998 SLK 230
I can't thank you enough A!EK for this post. I tried similar instructions on another forum to remedy the situation with my SLK after I changed the battery but it didn't work. Followed yours to the letter and I'm back on the road grinning from ear to ear. Thank you again!
The following users liked this post:
A1EK (06-01-2019)
Old 11-08-2023, 11:11 PM

CLK 320
Unhappy Dido: No COM. to ESP & T

Me Too waiting for the Brake light switch. Maybe someone put gum under there and hit the ODB2
Old 11-15-2023, 01:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK430
Newb to MB with new to me CLK430 (w208) that I bought with these codes already on (ABS, ESP & BAS). I've spent hours over months searching online for the solution (bringing me to this thread) and still can't get this sorted.

So far I have gone through the reset procedures listed herein 3 times at this point. I have replaced the brake switch and bought correct iCarsoft code reader and adapter which reads fine but won't tell me what's wrong with these. My only thought at this point is that the steering wheel is about 5 degrees off (and to reiterate, I have done all the resets including this one but probably more like 10 times). So I'm wondering if an alignment to get the steering wheel aligned will fix it? Or is there something else I should be looking for?

Thanks so much and I apologise if this is a common topic but I haven't found the solution here yet