CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

CLK430 Climate Control Unit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2019 | 06:51 PM

CLK430
CLK430 Climate Control Unit

Hi all,

I've got a 2000 CLK430 with only 89,000 miles on her. Boy, do I love her, but she's costing me some big money lately. Most recently was told the climate control unit needs to be replaced to the tune of $2085. My air conditioning would run for about 5 minutes, nice and cold then the digital readout on the climate control unit would go blank and no air. Same thing the next morning and so on. Works great then boom nothing. I replaced the compressor 2 months ago. Found replacements on ebay anywhere from $180 and up for unit, but I'd have no clue how to replace this. I'm in Destin, Florida, if anyone knows of a reputable shop. I'm on the verge of buying a new used Mercedes as it's been needing fixes routinely now, but I'm torn as this car is incredible. What should I do? It seems that everything rubber or plastic is falling apart. Thank you so much for your help. The dealer only offered $1200 for it if I traded it in which is so disappointing.

Last edited by WendyCLK430; 08-10-2019 at 07:09 PM. Reason: More info about issue
Old 08-25-2019 | 06:50 PM

2002 CLK 430
There is a company called Programa, Inc. that sells certified refurbished Climate Control units. I have also found them on eBay but one that I received did not work properly (EC light remained on at ignition startup which is a fault condition) so though it was cheaper I ended up going back to Programa. In terms of trading in, with that mileage unless something major with the engine, transmission or emissions system (e.g., catalytic converters) is failing I would not take $1200 for that car but then I can't speak to the overall condition of the vehicle. Remember, these cars were entirely made in Germany and are generally very reliable as long as you keep up with the maintenance items. I for example also have a 2002 CLK 430 (Black Opal) with 135k miles and she is still running tip top because I replace everything on or before schedule. Just did all 8 of my ignition coils, rear main seal (between engine and trnamission which tends to leak post 100k miles), A/C components (Compressor, Evaporator and Receiver Drier), Radiator, Serpentine /V Belt, etc. Not all at the same time but as I knew it would be needed. This car will run for another 200k miles easy and the quality is far superior to newer models...and without a car payment. Now on the side of the newer cars is technology and safety advances but even for using my phone in the car to play music I am able to hook into the aux port in the glove box and play through the cars speakers. No need to spend $3000 on a new system.

Anyway, good luck with your decision and feel free to message me with any other questions.
Old 08-25-2019 | 10:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
MNT02CLK.......with a join date of 2009, you're not a newbie, but since, have found the forum is a true treasure chest of information, I'm sure you, as I, have benefited greatly.

I'm now a retired engineer, who purchased my 2001 cabriolet and still own it today (for all of the the reasons you mentioned).

Our M112M//M113 engines and 722.6xx transmissions are what truly what MB now claims to be 'the best or nothing'.

On the other hand, the next generation W209/A209 CLk coupes/cabrio's with 272/273 engines and/or 7 speed transmissions have had sufficient issues.

If I owned a CLK W208, with less than 90,000 miles, letting it go for $1,200 on a trade in basis, would be crazy!!!

I've owned my A208 since new and time has proven that, the W208/A208 is the last of the MB, that proved to be the best or nothing.

Unfortunately, after spending a great deal of time participating in this forum, with almost all solutions being solved but negated, there are many newbies that post, never to be heard from again.

IMHO the most common wear, PM issues are the MAF, CPS, HVAC voltage resistor.

That said, make sure that your transmission has had the fluid and filter renewed, that it's harness is not leaking, as well as the Serpentine Belt guide pulley (a.k.a. idler pulley) is not about to fail, leaving you disabled, with engine shut down (e.g. depending temporarily running on your battery, but without critical cooling and power assist of expected features.

Specific to the OP, the in dash controller has built in diagnostics, which have been posted numerous times, that when run, will show the actual HVAC values, as well as diagnostic trouble codes.

Go figure!

Old 08-25-2019 | 11:19 PM

2002 CLK 430
Congrats on the retirement, Serndipity! I myself have another 12-15 years to go dependent assuming all plays out as I expect. You are correct, I am not a "newbie" but admittedly I have not been very active since it has been mostly smooth sailing. Trying to change that a bit especially as I am starting to ask questions I feel it only fair to contribute to the collective. :-)

I also concur with your assessment on PM...I have also replaced MAF, CPS, Heater Control Valve, Transmission seals/gaskets/bolts/filter/etc., Main Fan Clutch. Can't recall if I changed the Idler Pulley so will check that asap per your suggestion. Oh and also did the entire suspension recently (Lower/Upper Control Arms, Center Link, Control Arm Bushings, Ball Joints, Steering Damper etc.). Car rides awesome and smooth as silk. I am adding an Eisenmann exhaust as well and am also toying with the idea of adding a Kleeman Supercharger with modified air box and ECU tune. Not because I necessarily need it but because I like the idea of having something that not many people these days do. I know there have been many, many fine forum members who have done what I am doing 7-10+ years back. As I move up in the years I have learned to enjoy a fine vintage and not necessarily the newest shiny thing on the block.

Appreciate you reaching out and joining this thread. Hope to chat with you again here or on another channel soon. Have a great night!
Old 09-07-2019 | 02:02 PM

2006 CL65
I have one for sale

Mattsebes@gmail.com