CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Clk 320 convertible roof problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 03:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Clk 320 2000 model convertible
Clk 320 convertible roof problem

Hi I’m new to this page so hello 😊 . I have been given my late farthers clk witch is in lovely condition and only covered 23000 miles . Everything’s worked as it should then this happened . This morning I changed the battery and moved a few things around in the boot and now the roof is not going down all the way . So - I unlock the roof then press the button the window and the roof lifts up at the rear but the boot lid will not lift so the roof can fold away it makes the sound but nothing happens the the switch flashes red . Can anyone help please am I doing something wrong or moved something ? As was working fine .
Old 10-30-2019, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 754 Likes on 735 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
moved to W208 forum...
Old 10-30-2019, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 195 Likes on 174 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
After you manually unlatch the front bow, do your driver and passenger side roof frame joints open up, as shown in the below picture?

Two more questions.

The power roof controller has a built in self test diagnostic facility. Whenever you turn the key to position 2 or start the vehicle, the lamp in the power roof switch will illuminate briefly while the test runs and then turn off. However, if it detected a problem, with the status or function of the power roof, the lamp will either remain illuminated or flash at a specific rate etc., as explained in the below document.

From the below document, what are the specifics that are causing your power roof operating switch to illuminate?

The document below illustrates the stages, as related to the soft top controller cyclically evaluating the required sequence of input and output actualizations, when opening the roof.

As described below, at what stage, does your roof not operate (e.g. last stage that worked properly as well as the stage that currently does not) ?

Last edited by Serndipity; 10-30-2019 at 07:00 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:36 PM

Thanks for your reply . Yes the joints both open up like shown in the picture. All stages work up to stage 5 in the diagram . Then the flap just don’t rise up to fold the roof back into the car .but u can see it moving up and down ish and then if you keep joking the button it will flash red .

Last edited by Vrsarcher1; 10-30-2019 at 08:40 PM.
Old 10-30-2019, 09:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
OK.....your soft top compartment cover unlocks (stage 5), but it does not open (stage 6).

You did not mention the details of what the soft top controller's self test facility is showing as the status/function, being displayed by the indicator lamp of the power roof operating switch (e.g. when, steady, flashing rate etc.).
Old 10-31-2019, 10:48 AM

When you turn the ignition on the roof button lights up red and then turns off
Old 10-31-2019, 12:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Great.......that's what it should do.

When you turn ignition to position 2, or start the vehicle, the switch will momentary illuminate for a few seconds, as the controller checks the power roof status/function and then turn off.

In your initial post you had indicated that after installing a new battery and moving some things around in your boot, when opening the roof, you mentioned that the compartment cover would unlock but not open and the lamp was flashing. Additionally, in post #4, you indicated that when you continued to press the switch, the lamp was flashing (e.g. if the flash rate was 3 Hz, it meant that either the your boot lid or boot partition was not fully closed).

Before further discussion of how to use the stages of roof operation to diagnose and troubleshoot the power roof system, by design, to prevent the possibility of a collision between the boot lid and the compartment cover, if the roof controller thinks that the boot is not fully closed and locked, the compartment cover will not open.

Given that your operating switch illumination is currently normal, my suggestion would be to try opening your power roof again, as the malfunction may have just been that the boot wasn't properly closed and locked.

Last edited by Serndipity; 10-31-2019 at 12:22 PM.