CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Bilstein or Koni

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2004, 01:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CLK320
Bilstein or Koni

Hello. I have stock springs and I have decided my next maitence item is shocks as my car rides like a boat.

Anyway, I want a soft, supple ride.

What do I do. Get Bilstein Sport Shocks or Koni adjustables. How much of a difference is there in the ride?

Also, I am leaning towards bilstein at the moment cause I can get a better deal on them but I am willing to pay more for the konis if any only if the ride is that much softer.

Should I just go with the bilsteins or shell out more for the Konis because they could possibly be softer?
Old 07-27-2004, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by 3199cc
Hello. I have stock springs and I have decided my next maitence item is shocks as my car rides like a boat.

What do I do. Get Bilstein Sport Shocks or Koni adjustables. How much of a difference is there in the ride?

Also, I am leaning towards bilstein at the moment cause I can get a better deal on them but I am willing to pay more for the konis if any only if the ride is that much softer.

Should I just go with the bilsteins or shell out more for the Konis because they could possibly be softer?
I'm more biased toward Koni's as these are what I have. I've heard good things about bilsten too. Advantage in going with Koni's are that the sensitivity is adjustable, but you need to remove them off the car everytime you make an adjustment. I have mine set at medium and my car is lowered about 2" all around and the ride, IMHO, is great!

Rob
Old 07-27-2004, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
I have...

the Koni's and wouldn't buy them again. I've always bought Bilstein, and should have done it this time as well. Some guys on this board have them and think they're great. I just don't care too much for the setup I have with my H&R springs. Way too busy, and the ride does not have the supple quality you get with Bilsteins. If I had to do it over again, I would buy the Brabus kit with springs and shocks, or do the AMG Euro springs with Bilsteins. Just my .02..
Old 07-27-2004, 10:35 AM

i have bilstein sports with h&r and the ride is not soft. if u want softer ride maybe bilstein HD is a better choice for u
Old 07-27-2004, 01:18 PM

CLK320
i have stock springs tho. Do you think it would make a noticeable difference?
Old 07-27-2004, 01:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts
E 63S Wagon Renntech, E55 Renntech, SL65, SL 55 030, ML, bunch of old ones--they come, they go...
You're probably right thuged....

the HD's may be a better choice. I'm now convinced that my car is oversprung with the H&R setup. Would make a different choice if I did it again...
Old 07-27-2004, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by allenjdmb
the Koni's and wouldn't buy them again. I've always bought Bilstein, and should have done it this time as well. Some guys on this board have them and think they're great. I just don't care too much for the setup I have with my H&R springs. Way too busy, and the ride does not have the supple quality you get with Bilsteins. If I had to do it over again, I would buy the Brabus kit with springs and shocks, or do the AMG Euro springs with Bilsteins. Just my .02..
What are you refering to.. when you say "way too busy"? Maybe your adjustment setting on the shocks may be incorrect? I live in SF and the roads are pretty jacked up in certain area's and my Koni's handle great. Then again, I never rode in a CLK with bilstens
Old 07-27-2004, 06:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2014 GLK250 BlueTec & 2009 ML320 BlueTec
i have stock springs tho. Do you think it would make a noticeable difference?
The stock springs are a little softer than H&R springs, but the shocks are the ones giving you the stifness.

Bilstein sport = very stiff
Bilstein HD = mild
Koni sport adjustables = mild - stiff - very stiff
Kleeman sensitive = soft all around - stiff when needed
Old 07-27-2004, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Tesla Model S
I have Koni's and I think they're great. Ride is comfortable even with my 19"s and Eibachs and handling is great.
Old 08-04-2004, 08:11 PM

1999 CLK 430

I installed a set of Bilstein Sports while I was waiting for my set of Eibach springs to come in. So I had a chance to see how they worked with the stock springs. The handling characteristics of the car were great: Much improved cornering and braking. A HUGE improvement over the stock shocks. And the best part for your situation, the comfortable ride wasn't sacrificed at all. I don't know about the Koni's but anything that requires adjustment might not be the way to go for your use. With the Bilstein's, just put them on and smile... Good luck.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:04 PM

installation

For those of you who have installed eibach/hr/koni/bilstein.
How easy is it to have it done?
Or do I need a pro/expert to install it?
Old 08-05-2004, 02:01 PM

1999 CLK 430
Originally Posted by turboriceco0ker
For those of you who have installed eibach/hr/koni/bilstein.
How easy is it to have it done?
Or do I need a pro/expert to install it?
Shocks are a piece of cake on the W208. Access for the front is via the engine compartment and and the lower a arm assembly. The rear requires the removal of the trunk liners, which is easy, for access to the top mounting bolts and easy access to the lower a arm much like the front. You can do it in your driveway in a couple of hours.
Old 08-05-2004, 04:20 PM

Received 175 Likes on 149 Posts
E550 Coupe 2wd (2016)
Doesn't Koni have a short life span? I've owned cars that had them and they were always worn out. I like a shock to stay as new, not wear down like a battery in a toy car. I think Bilstein is the best shock for the money there is.