CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Intake tubing - how to remove CLK 320 1998 M112.940

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 12:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes C230 1997 W202
Intake tubing - how to remove CLK 320 1998 M112.940

Hi folks,

I am replacing the valbe cover gaskets on my 1998 CLK 320. On the passenger side the intake is in the way. On this version of the V6 it goes over the passanger engine bank. I have removed the air filter cover and snorkle. The maf housing isbeasy to remove to. But so far havent seen how to remove the rest of the intake tubing. Anyone knows? There is a fsstener which holds it close to the strut tower so I loosened that. I can wiggle it and the intake damper I have been able t slightly rotate towards the driver's side but dont know how it mount to the "engine" either.

Any points in the right direction would be much appreciated as replacing the valve cover gssket otherwise seems impossible/improbable due to lack of room.
Old 03-23-2020, 03:22 AM

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
1998 CLK 320
There's a "snap-ring" that connects the end of the accordion to the hard plastic "u-pipe" (that goes into the throttle body). It pops right off, but pay attention, because it can be a ***** to get back on. The hard pipe after that, has a 10mm/star/reverse torx/whatever bolt underneath it (right below the arrow on the tubing).

Actually: You might as well do this while you're at it It has all of the pics and directions you're asking for right now, plus you can do your egr system at the same time: https://mbworld.org/forums/clk-class...-cleaning.html

Check these guys out. They have almost 200 videos on your car and they make them very easy to watch IMO:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...3mOTPwOkUabJDi

G/L

Last edited by convicted; 03-23-2020 at 03:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
2MERKS (03-25-2020)
Old 03-23-2020, 02:00 PM

Mercedes C230 1997 W202
Thanks for the reply. EGR is worth looking at as well.

I'm not 100% sure how to remove the tube but will give it a try, looking for the screw below the arrow on the tubing. I have removed one reverse-torque screw at the arrow close to the airbox end. Not sure if this is the one you're mentioning?

According to the link you provided tapping with a hammer on a flat blade screw driver to loosen the end of the intake tubing from the plastic intake housing / pipe. In which direction to tap I'm not sure either. I tried to pry gently on it and part-broke the top of the plastic connection. Which seems to be some kind of locking mechanism. I need to get the intake tube out of the way to replace the valve cover gasket.

I successfully lifted up the intake sound dampener "box" by lifting straight upwards. So some bit of progress. For anyone else doing this job, replacing the gasket for the oil filler cap and the gasket meeting the oil filler neck and valve cover is good practice, since both seem to cause leaks commonly on these cars of this model year. The oil filler is removed by lifting straight upwards with some force, then rotate counter clockwise. Lifting it means it will pass by a notch at the cylinder cover end.

Any further links to videos or so when someone does the valve cover replacement job on this particular engine would be much appreciated. It is a lot of "hunting in the dark" so to speak as of now.

Cheers,
Old 03-23-2020, 02:11 PM

Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts
1998 CLK 320
Originally Posted by Shadedmoon
Thanks for the reply. EGR is worth looking at as well.
My pleasure.

I'm not 100% sure how to remove the tube but will give it a try, looking for the screw below the arrow on the tubing. I have removed one reverse-torque screw at the arrow close to the airbox end. Not sure if this is the one you're mentioning?
Yes. That's the one.

According to the link you provided tapping with a hammer on a flat blade screw driver to loosen the end of the intake tubing from the plastic intake housing / pipe. In which direction to tap I'm not sure either. I tried to pry gently on it and part-broke the top of the plastic connection. Which seems to be some kind of locking mechanism. I need to get the intake tube out of the way to replace the valve cover gasket.
I did some more research of my own. Don't use a hammer. You're supposed to be able to just pull it towards you, then push it back (towards the firewall) and it should pop out of the clip that holds it in (which is underneath the tubing).

G/L
Old 03-23-2020, 02:16 PM

Mercedes C230 1997 W202
I just found below video which shows how to remove the intake tubing. It is about intake gasket replacement, however shows the procedure on a similar type of engine as mine.

Below / under the intake tubing seem to be a clip which is released by pulling down and back on it, it "can't be seen" from above. Reach from the passenger side. About 6-7 minutes into the video. And then the plastic clip at the top of the tubing close to the intake is removed by pressing it in the direction towards the back of the car.

Tomorrow I'll try and see if I am successful. :-)
Old 03-23-2020, 02:18 PM

Mercedes C230 1997 W202
Originally Posted by convicted
My pleasure.

Yes. That's the one.

I did some more research of my own. Don't use a hammer. You're supposed to be able to just pull it towards you, then push it back (towards the firewall) and it should pop out of the clip that holds it in (which is underneath the tubing).

G/L
Yes, thanks for the clarifications!