CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Cabrio Roof not working (Headrests?)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W208 CLK320 Cabriolet Avantgarde
Cabrio Roof not working (Headrests?)

Hi Guys,

New here, stumbled across this forum by Googling the various issues I'm trying to resolve. Thanks for all the useful information you've posted in the past.

So - I bought a CLK320 from a friend as it had been sat for a while. The roof was inop before he parked it up, the car is otherwise fine.

The main issue as far as I can tell at this stage is that the rear headrests do NOT operate off the switch on the forward panel. They are in the down position, the red light on the switch illuminates when I start the car. When pushing the button I can hear a slight click come from the middle-ish area behind the rear seats (the pump relay I'm guessing?)

If I unlatch the roof, the windows drop (NB - the windows don't drop any when I open/close the door, which can create a small gap and lets in noise, I rectify by dropping the window manually, then putting them back up. Not sure if this could be a clue?)

The switch at this point is solid red. With the engine running, I pull the switch, the engine RPM drops a bit, but nothing further happens.

I plan on stripping the boot area out this week to investigate, here's what I have planned based on what I've already read on this forum:

1) Fuses - already checked and look fine

2) Test the pumps motor by jumping the pins with the relay removed

3) If the above works - then replace the pumps relay? (Have I got that correct) I understand the Fuel Pump relay is the same - can someone point me in the direction of where to find this?

If 2 doesn't work, is that a sign the pump needs replacing?

Any other thoughts about things I could be testing are very welcome.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2020, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W208 CLK320 Cabriolet Avantgarde
Update for anyone else who may get similar symptoms in the future.

It was the relay. Swapped it out and now it's as good as new.