CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

HELP - Effed Up Bigtime - Likely Need To Replace Timing Cover

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2020 | 08:24 PM

02' CLK 430
HELP - Effed Up Bigtime - Likely Need To Replace Timing Cover

Long story short I have my coollng system apart on my 2002 CLK 430 right now as I was replacing idler puller, tensionser, thermostat, serp belt and waterpump. I went to put the last bolt into the new waterpump and it sheared right off, must have got caught on the threads because it wasn't all the way in. Of course it was the last shortest bolt too. Not enough of the bolt is sticking out to grab with pliers so I tried drilling a pilot hole for a screw extractor. Unfortunately the titanium bit I was using broke off in the bolt as well, and now the bolt is impossible to drill out as the broken peice of titanium bit is preventing and further boreing. I'm at the point now where I see no alternative except to replace my timing cover.

Has anyone ever done this? It looks like a pain in the ***. Likely need to drop oil pan, take off ac compressor, harmonic balancer, main drive pulley ect...

I'm reaching out to this forum in the hopes someone has performed this job before and can shed some pight. The part I would be replacing is shown below. I have attached a picture of the ****ty situation I have gotten myself into.

Broken bolt on waterpump.

This is where I'm at right now...

CLK 430 is under the knife, so is the garage.

This is the timing cover I'm likely going to have to replace. MSRP ~ $500 CAD & likely hours and hours of labour,,,

Old 04-20-2020 | 02:22 PM

02' CLK 430
Bump. Anyone got any advice on this one?
Old 04-22-2020 | 10:22 AM

2002 CLK 320
Hey man, I'm probably the least mechanically inclined person on this forum but I've obtained this attached document and I hope this gives you some guidance.
Attached Files
Old 04-22-2020 | 11:09 AM

02' CLK 430
You sir are amazing. Thank you for this! It is much appreciated. Stay safe!
Old 04-22-2020 | 11:29 AM

2002 CLK 320
Always happy to help. I hope it all works out and you get your ride back on the road.

Stay safe as well!
Old 04-22-2020 | 11:45 AM

2020 C43 Coupe.
Broken bolt removal.

To remove broken bolt. Get a nut with approx. the same size thread diameter as broken bolt. Hold nut over the broken bolt with long handled pliers and have someone ( mobile welding service ) weld the nut to the bolt through the nuts hole. Works great as long as face of broken nut is easily accessible. Have done this on broken brake bleaders in the past.