CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

top not functioning properly

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2020 | 03:07 PM

320 CLK, w208
top not functioning properly

Top has not been going down at all. I checked the fuses and the fluid level in the hydraulic pump. I replaced the relay near the trunk fuses and checked the micro switch in the truck. They all
seem in order.

The toggle switch for the top on the center console blinks red.

After putting a new fuse in the #15 slot, the top started to go down as it should then stopped. I turned the ignition off then back on and tried to finish lowering the top. The cloth top went into the rear trunk well but the rear top cover will not move from its upright position. Does anyone know how to lower the rear top cover manually?

Has anyone had a similar problem?

Old 05-04-2020 | 06:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
The instructions for operating the roof manually are detailed in the 'practical hints section' of your owners manual.

To lower and lock the soft top compartment cover:

- You'll first need to reduce the hydraulic system pressure by using a screwdriver (supplied in the vehicle tool kit) and turning the screw on the hydraulic pump's valve block, 2 turns CCW, to the stop.

- Now, you'll be able to lower the cover manually.

- Next, manually lock the compartment cover, by placing the open end wrench (supplied in the vehicle tool kit), on the bolt between the backrest and compartment cover and turning it CW, to the stop.

BTW, the relay next to the trunk's fuse box, powers the fuel pump.

Last edited by Serndipity; 05-04-2020 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-04-2020 | 10:04 PM

320 CLK, w208
Serndipity,

Thank you very much for the response. I will get to it tomorrow. You have made my day!!