CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

2003 clk 320 speedometer needle removal for PixelFix repair

Old 07-26-2018, 01:43 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2003 CLK 320 convertible
2003 clk 320 speedometer needle removal for PixelFix repair

I received my PixelFix kit from Hungary and have read the directions and I'm still a bit unclear on how to remove the speedometer and tach needles. I could find nothing in the archives. Does anybody have any tips on exactly how to do it?

Also if you've used the PixelFix product do you have any hints or tips that are not covered in the instructions?

Old 07-26-2018, 06:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 190 Likes on 170 Posts
2001 CLK320 Cabrio
It's very easy, just rotate and lift each needle.

The rotation is opposite the direction that each gauge needle normally operates.

For the speedometer, tachometer and temperature needles, rotate counterclockwise and lift.
For the fuel gauge, rotate clockwise and lift.

Old 07-26-2018, 08:55 PM

2003 CLK 320 convertible
Originally Posted by Serndipity
It's very easy, just rotate and lift each needle.

The rotation is opposite the direction that each gauge needle normally operates.

For the speedometer, tachometer and temperature needles, rotate counterclockwise and lift.
For the fuel gauge, rotate clockwise and lift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LoAMLCBmKXY
Ah, thanks. so they are just just friction fits. And I assume one should note exactly to where the needles point to endure they are installed pointing to the same spot.

Old 05-04-2020, 08:12 PM

2003 CLK 320 convertible
Question:

If I buy a used, known good instrument cluster what is involved in substituting it for the original one in my car?

Last edited by jinark; 05-04-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 05-05-2020, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
Unfortunately no, the instrument cluster is part of the immobilizer system and that is not possible, due to the different mileage, vehicle version coding etc..

Dealerships have the ability to install and program a new cluster, but that's going to cost you around $2K.

If your very careful, not to otherwise damage the cluster, the video posted above, has proven to be the best way to perform the DIY repair, for short money.

Another alternative is to send your cluster to BBA-Reman . Their U.S. operation is located in MA.

http://www.bba-reman.com/us/catalogu...ledproduct=556

If your cluster just needs to have the temperature and clock displays repaired and is not otherwise damaged, the cost to repair should be around $150.

Last edited by Serndipity; 05-05-2020 at 10:21 AM.
Old 05-05-2020, 11:53 AM

2003 CLK 320 convertible
Thanks for the response.

I did do the PixelFix, followed the directions to the letter and everything worked perfectly. Then, I checked the display about an hour later and the gear display was perfect but the clock was pretty much gone. In the interim I did nothing but turn the key to run. I pulled the IC and checked, everything was as it should be. I suspect a printed circuit board (PCB) problem. Prior to my repair the number and location of faulty pixels would change as ambient temperature changed. I now think that might have been related to expansion and contraction of the PCB. I'd read in the archives that they sometimes develop faults like that. Anyway the gear selection display is 100% functional so for the time being at least I'm going to leave well enough alone. I wear a watch so I can easily see the correct time.

The next time I'm at the dealer I might ask the service department people if they could reprogram and install a used unit if I bring them one. Asking is free and the worst they can do is say is no.
Old 05-05-2020, 03:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2001 CLK320 Cabrio
The problem was that MB fastened both ends of the ribbon cable (e.g. to the LED display module and PCB) using only an adhesive glue, that in time, failed to provide proper electrical connections.

Another DIY attempt to fix the problem was to install a shim between the display and PCB, to restore the connections, that is described by CLK430Benz in this thread . However, it had mixed results (e.g. worked for a short time) and he eventually sent the cluster to BBA Reman.

Although this was an ubiquitous issue, MB never issued a recall regarding the problem, because a malfunctioning clock or temperature display was not a safety issue and the proper gear selection was redundantly shown on the center console.

However, what they did do was to 'quietly' extend an additional 'Goodwill Warranty' to repair (e.g. to owners who complained), that extended both the time and/or mileage time-frame, beyond the standard 5 year/50,000 mile warranty.