CLK-Class (W208) 1998-2002: CLK 200, CLK 230K, CLK 320, CLK 430 [Coupes & Cabriolets]

Need advice on buying a Clk430 with a 722.6 tranny leak

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-25-2020, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clk430
Need advice on buying a Clk430 with a 722.6 tranny leak

Hello, I'm looking at buying a 2000 Clk430 with 130,000 miles in absolute pristine condition. The only issue is the transmission is leaking from somewhere in the front. According to the owner he was driving on a snow covered, rut filled, road to his house when he either bottomed out or hit a snow covered rock. The next day the owner noticed a transmission leak under the car and over the course of a week the leakage varied from a lot to a little. Since then, the car has only been moved from the garage to the driveway and back. I looked underneath the car and pan looked in great shape, I could see no damage whatsoever.

Both the owner and I are leaning toward the transmission connector plug as the culprit but I have my hesitations that it is leaking from somewhere else. Any ideas where else it could be
leaking from? As I previously owned another clk430 , conductor plate aside, I know that the 722.6 transmission is pretty indestructible. Thanks for any advice.

Old 09-26-2020, 08:35 PM

Received 234 Likes on 145 Posts
2012 S350 Bluetec, 2024 E350 4matic W214, 2014 GLK250 Bluetec, 2000 CLK320 Cabrio
Originally Posted by Notorious AMG
Hello, I'm looking at buying a 2000 Clk430 with 130,000 miles in absolute pristine condition. The only issue is the transmission is leaking from somewhere in the front. According to the owner he was driving on a snow covered, rut filled, road to his house when he either bottomed out or hit a snow covered rock. The next day the owner noticed a transmission leak under the car and over the course of a week the leakage varied from a lot to a little. Since then, the car has only been moved from the garage to the driveway and back. I looked underneath the car and pan looked in great shape, I could see no damage whatsoever.

Both the owner and I are leaning toward the transmission connector plug as the culprit but I have my hesitations that it is leaking from somewhere else. Any ideas where else it could be
leaking from? As I previously owned another clk430 , conductor plate aside, I know that the 722.6 transmission is pretty indestructible. Thanks for any advice.

Sounds strange that you saw no damage under there, but my experience is that if the connector plug is leaking, the conductor plate failure is not far behind. I don't have my exact source, but I remember reading that when the inner seal fails, it lets transmission oil into the conductor plate and bad things happen.